Summary of Church organization, history, and experience

Calm

In trying to find an older style guide (I failed), I came across this very well done imo summary about the Church. Given its brevity, I think it does an excellent job. I need to research it a bit more to see if it is a government organization or more likely some research institution who produced it and if anyone involved was a member or they just did that well using church resources. If anyone has info on the organization publishing it or the one producing it, please share. It is out of the UK.  I was going to post the table of contents, but formatting is a bit messy.  I will have to see how patient I am.

Not sure what RE stands for, Religious Education perhaps…

Haven’t read the whole thing, found only one minor error so far.  Will see if anyone is interested enough to see if they can find it too.

https://www.reonline.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Church-of-Jesus-Christ-of-LDS.pdf

Introduction
We are indebted to Professor Eileen Barker, Founder and Director of INFORM (the Information Network on Religious Movements) and her team of researchers, for providing this new material in response to requests from RE teachers and pupils. INFORM can be contacted via www.inform.ac
The resources contained in the list of subjects to the right are a basic introduction to the facts and beliefs of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Although this church is also known to some as the Mormon Church their preferred title for themselves is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Edited by Calm

The organization that produced it:

https://www.cdamm.org/articles/inform

“Inform was founded by the sociologist Professor Eileen Barker (b. 1938), OBE, FBA, at the London School of Economics in 1988. Based on her research with the Unification Church, Barker felt that harm was being caused by both a lack of information and misinformation about what were, at that time, relatively new religious movements to the United Kingdom. Barker’s seminal study is The Making of a Moonie: Brainwashing or Choice? (1984), which won the 1985 Distinguished Book Award from the Society for the Scientific Study of Religion. Her life’s work has been to promote accurate information obtained from social scientific methodology on religion, for which she has received numerous other awards (Beckford and Richardson 2003). Inform’s start-up funding was provided by the UK Home Office and it continues to be supported by a mixture of government and charitable commissions, grants and private donations.”

The early work of Inform focused on the research and provision of accurate information on groups popularly considered ‘cults’ or ‘sects’ (Barker 1989, 2006, 2011). However, moving into the twenty-first century, Inform’s remit has broadened towards providing accurate, contextualized information on a wide range of minority religious and non-religious movements. Inform does not define too precisely the terms ‘minority religions’ and ‘spiritualities’. They are used to provide a common-sense starting point to cover what others have called ‘cults’, ‘sects’, ‘new religious movements’, ‘non-conventional religions’, ‘alternative religions’, ‘spiritual movements’, ‘esoteric movements’, and ‘self-religions’. The majority of enquiries received at Inform are, in fact, about new movements within ‘mainstream’ religions (Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, and Sikhi traditions).”