Seriously No Politics ×

Endtime Servant vs Davidic Servant

Although I am well versed in the scriptures, I have only done a preliminary search on this topic. From what I am seeing, I believe there is some confusion surrounding the Davidic Servant and the Endtime Servant. At first observation it would appear that these are two separate and distinct individuals with separate missions. 

The Davidic Servant appears to have a kingly job of leading those who will rebuild and live in Jerusalem of old, establishing a kingdom of righteous  people from the tribes of Judah and some from Levi. This Person is not the Elias.

The Endtime Servant or Elias on the other hand seems to be responsible for gathering the elect with the 144,000 and angels during the period following the battle of Armageddon and prior to the day of burning (Approximately 20.83 years)

I welcome comments and opinions. As I begin to research this topic I will add references.

Was Zerubbabel kingly/political?  Were Ezra and Nehemiah priestly?  Is that the kind of distinction you are trying to make?

Endtime Servant is not really a familiar term to me.  It would be helpful if you would have started this thread with at least ONE reference for the rest of us to begin our search. 

Quote from the Isaiah Institute

This is the time when the gospel will be preached by the endtime servant or the modern day Elias, and the 144,000 to all the nations of the earth. This is the day of great preparation. Christ’s kingdom is on the earth. The saints have been endowed with great power. The earth is beginning to heal and the glory of the Lord rests upon Zion and Jerusalem.

The Elias whom Jesus prophesied would “come first and restore all things”—immediately before Jesus’ second coming—fulfills the role of forerunner in the pattern of John the Baptist (Matthew 17:11–13; cf. Acts 3:21).

Isaiah 52:11–15

My servant, being astute, shall be highly exalted; he shall become exceedingly eminent:

just as he appalled many—his appearance was marred beyond human likeness,

his semblance unlike that of men—So shall he yet astound many nations,

Kings shutting their mouths at him—what was not told them, they shall see;

what they had not heard, they shall consider.

Isaiah 49:6

He said: It is too small a thing for you to be my servant

to raise up the tribes of Jacob and to restore those preserved of Israel.

I will also appoint you to be a light to the Gentiles, that my salvation may be to the end of the earth.

2 hours ago, Mountain said:

Quote from the Isaiah Institute

This is the time when the gospel will be preached by the endtime servant or the modern day Elias, and the 144,000 to all the nations of the earth. This is the day of great preparation. Christ’s kingdom is on the earth. The saints have been endowed with great power. The earth is beginning to heal and the glory of the Lord rests upon Zion and Jerusalem.

The Elias whom Jesus prophesied would “come first and restore all things”—immediately before Jesus’ second coming—fulfills the role of forerunner in the pattern of John the Baptist (Matthew 17:11–13; cf. Acts 3:21).

Isaiah 52:11–15

My servant, being astute, shall be highly exalted; he shall become exceedingly eminent:

just as he appalled many—his appearance was marred beyond human likeness,

his semblance unlike that of men—So shall he yet astound many nations,

Kings shutting their mouths at him—what was not told them, they shall see;

what they had not heard, they shall consider.

Isaiah 49:6

He said: It is too small a thing for you to be my servant

to raise up the tribes of Jacob and to restore those preserved of Israel.

I will also appoint you to be a light to the Gentiles, that my salvation may be to the end of the earth.

LDS all my life, but not once did I hear a lesson about the 144,000. Was I a poor listener, or was this well known to most LDS out there?

3 hours ago, Tacenda said:

LDS all my life, but not once did I hear a lesson about the 144,000. Was I a poor listener, or was this well known to most LDS out there?

If you had been a lover of reading and perusing the scriptures (daily personal study), you would already been familiar with the 144K way back when you were still wet behind the ears.

42 minutes ago, longview said:

If you had been a lover of reading and perusing the scriptures (daily personal study), you would already been familiar with the 144K way back when you were still wet behind the ears.

Well, I've admitted that I've struggled with the scriptures all my life. 

12 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Well, I've admitted that I've struggled with the scriptures all my life. 

I suspect that many have read of the 144,000 but are unsure of exactly what they are supposed to be doing.  It is not a common topic, pretty much only found in manuals for a short paragraph or two.  There are a couple more besides these.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/new-testament-student-manual/revelation/chapter-54-revelation-4-11?lang=eng

Revelation 7:4–8. The Hundred and Forty-Four Thousand

In Doctrine and Covenants 77:11 the Lord explained to Joseph Smith that the number 144,000 mentioned in Revelation 7:4–8 is the number of representatives out of the twelve tribes of Israel who will be ordained to assist others in their quest for exaltation (see the commentary for Revelation 14:1–5). It is not, as some people believe, the total number of people who will be exalted. “The church of the Firstborn” refers to those who will be exalted and become joint-heirs with Jesus Christ (D&C 77:11). Members of the Lord’s earthly Church—The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints—who live righteously and receive the ordinances of exaltation will become members of the Lord’s heavenly Church—the Church of the Firstborn (see D&C 93:20–22).

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/manual/doctrine-and-covenants-student-manual/section-77-questions-and-answers-on-the-book-of-revelation?lang=eng

D&C 77:11. Who Are the 144,000?

“Before the Lord shall come … there is to be a great work among the nations. … The ten tribes will have to come forth and come to this land, to be crowned with glory in the midst of Zion by the hands of the servants of God, even the Children of Ephraim; and twelve thousand High Priests will be elected from each of these ten tribes, as well as from the scattered tribes, and sealed in their foreheads, and will be ordained and receive power to gather out of all nations, kindreds, tongues and people as many as will come unto the general assemblage of the Church of the first-born.” (Orson Pratt, in Journal of Discourses, 16:325.)

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/new-testament-study-guide-for-home-study-seminary-students/introduction-to-revelation/unit-31-day-3-revelation-6-7?lang=eng

The number 144,000 mentioned in Revelation 7:4 “is the number of representatives out of the twelve tribes of Israel who will be ordained to assist others in their quest for exaltation. … It is not, as some believe, the total number of people who will be exalted” (New Testament Student Manual [Church Educational System Manual, 2014], 544).

As recorded in Revelation 9, John referred again to these righteous servants. Read Revelation 9:3–4, looking for what would happen to those who have not been sealed as the servants of God.

You might recall learning that the 144,000 mentioned in verse 1 are high priests of the twelve tribes of Israel from every nation and are ordained to bring people “to the church of the Firstborn” (D&C 77:11; see Revelation 7:4–8). The phrase “not defiled with women” (Revelation 14:4) means they will be chaste, or morally clean. In Revelation 14:5 the phrase “in their mouth was found no guile” means they will be honest and sincere and the phrase “without fault” means they will be clean from sin.

Answer the following question in your scripture study journal: Why do you think being chaste, honest, and clean from sin would help the 144,000 high priests take the gospel to others?

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/new-testament-study-guide-for-home-study-seminary-students/introduction-to-revelation/unit-32-day-2-revelation-14-16?lang=eng

————

The 144,000 are a common topic among the End Times obsessors.  The Daybells saw their mission as out to gather the 144,000…or at least LVD did.  CD may have just been using the ‘mission’ as an excuse to dump the kids and his own family and take off for parts unknown to party till the money ran out.

Edited by Calm
1 hour ago, Calm said:

I suspect that many have read of the 144,000 but are unsure of exactly what they are supposed to be doing.  It is not a common topic, pretty much only found in manuals for a short paragraph or two.  There are a couple more besides these.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/new-testament-student-manual/revelation/chapter-54-revelation-4-11?lang=eng

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/manual/doctrine-and-covenants-student-manual/section-77-questions-and-answers-on-the-book-of-revelation?lang=eng

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/new-testament-study-guide-for-home-study-seminary-students/introduction-to-revelation/unit-31-day-3-revelation-6-7?lang=eng

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/new-testament-study-guide-for-home-study-seminary-students/introduction-to-revelation/unit-32-day-2-revelation-14-16?lang=eng

————

The 144,000 are a common topic among the End Times obsessors.  The Daybells saw their mission as out to gather the 144,000…or at least LVD did.  CD may have just been using the ‘mission’ as an excuse to dump the kids and his own family and take off for parts unknown to party till the money ran out.

Thanks Calm, I don't know why I didn't connect the 144,000 with the 12 tribes of Israel before. Do remember getting the JW's publications when they'd drop them off at my work and read about the 144,000.  

On 7/27/2022 at 2:48 AM, Tacenda said:

Thanks Calm, I don't know why I didn't connect the 144,000 with the 12 tribes of Israel before. Do remember getting the JW's publications when they'd drop them off at my work and read about the 144,000.  

The JW identify the 144K as the only ones who will live with God and Christ for eternity. The rest of us get bupkis. 🙂 

There is an interesting article about this on Wikipedia (144,000), from which I extract the following:

"Jehovah's Witnesses believe that exactly 144,000 faithful Christians from Pentecost of 33 AD until the present day will be resurrected to heaven as immortal spirit beings to spend eternity with God and Christ."