How is the ministering going?

Took a survey of family in four states to see how the ministering is going. Universal answer is not well. 

How is it going in your area? 
Is your ward still doing quarterly interviews? 

Why do I you feel it is succeeding or failing?

In my discussions, people discussed a few thoughts. 

*covid 

*not as much accountability 

*easier to say you’re too busy and don’t need ministering

1 hour ago, bsjkki said:

I only know I have no contact with those assigned to my family. I do not know who they are. I also know that one or two of my assignments do not know I am assigned to them.

1 hour ago, bsjkki said:

Our companionship met with the EQP once about 6-8 months ago. We have not been invited since.

1 hour ago, bsjkki said:

Less easily defined expectations encourages lethargy of which I am guilty.

2 hours ago, bsjkki said:

Took a survey of family in four states to see how the ministering is going. Universal answer is not well. 

*covid 

Yeah, not great on my end at least. I haven't ministered and I have no clue who's supposed to minister me or my family. At least for myself, I do blame covid. And then my body crapping on me. I've enjoyed ministering in the past and want to get back into it once I get a few other more pressing things back in order. 

3 hours ago, bsjkki said:

Based on the quarterly reports for the stake last quarter it varies wildly between both wards and elders quorum/relief society.

Interview wise better than last year, actual ministering wise, no idea.

Covid is the biggest at the moment with either the ministers or ministees at risk. Next would likely be contactability. Either the ministees don't respond to contacts, or have difficulties making time available for a proper ministering contact rather than just a few words in a text message.

11 hours ago, bsjkki said:

*covid 

My EQ presidency has been threatening to do ministering interviews for over a year now.

Finally had mine the other day with one of the counselors in a 15 second conversation in the hallway at church.

That being said, I have been successful with my ministering

I know our RS is still doing quarterly interviews at least, because every three months they are scheduling them.  From my end ministering is going fine.  I have two people won't don't want any contact and one new one that I need to figure out how much contact she wants. 

I get a text once every three months from my ministering sisters, but honestly I'm fine with that.  Before the change it was hit and miss anyway.

I have no idea how the EQ is doing.

Not sure how it's going with the whole ward but we have a ministering couple that comes every month on a Monday night and has a family night with me and my grandkids.
Like anything else it depends on everyone's particular situation and ability.

Nothing has changed for me personally, but then I don't feel the program is really any different than it was supposed to be according to conference talks.  I wasn't one who felt I had to give a lesson really and I'm not one now.  I was one that already was going to lunch with them or doing a service project with them or going for a walk with them.  That's the same now.  We are doing less than we were doing 2 years ago, but the people we minister to are all older and had some major health problems last year and this year they are doing better so the change is a natural change, not a covid or accountability change. 

I haven't heard from my ministering people in a long time, but that isn't any different than has happened in the past.  I can tell you that I FAR prefer them not to contact me at all than to give me a gift the last day of the month - that part has changed.  I no longer have guilt visits to me. but other than that I would say it's probably failing for those ministering to our family.  But most of the time it was before as well.

Interviews.  Never had them quarterly.  Rarely had the yearly? interviews either.  LOVE that I don't have to let my VT supervisor know.  And honestly if that were brought back I would probably tell them I won't do that part anymore.  

On 7/21/2022 at 9:36 AM, Fether said:

My EQ presidency has been threatening to do ministering interviews for over a year now.

Finally had mine the other day with one of the counselors in a 15 second conversation in the hallway at church.

That being said, I have been successful with my ministering

What is a ministering interview?  Same as the PPI when we called it home teaching?

1 hour ago, Teancum said:

What is a ministering interview?  Same as the PPI when we called it home teaching?

Not exactly. It's designed to be more of an opportunity for the presidency to minister to the ministers.

15 hours ago, Fether said:

Exactly

So has anything really changed?  By the way I have not had a ministering whatever ever.  I did get a text once from someone I do not know during Covid.  Someone new in my ward that came since I no longer attend.  But that is it.  Before Covid nada.  And I was the former bishop if my ward.  I never asked not to be visited. I guess ministering is about as effective as home teaching.

15 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

Not exactly. It's designed to be more of an opportunity for the presidency to minister to the ministers.

Well that is sort of how I did PPIs when I was responsible for them.

On 7/21/2022 at 7:36 AM, Fether said:

... That being said, I have been successful with my ministering

Good for you! :good:B:) 

3 minutes ago, Teancum said:

So has anything really changed?  By the way I have not had a ministering whatever ever.  I did get a text once from someone I do not know during Covid.  Someone new in my ward that came since I no longer attend.  But that is it.  Before Covid nada.  And I was the former bishop if my ward.  I never asked not to be visited. I guess ministering is about as effective as home teaching.

I'm sorry to hear that.  Sometimes it can seem as though attempts to reach out to those who have lessened ties with the Church of Jesus Christ is the equivalent of attempting to hug a porcupine.  (To be clear, I'm not saying you're doing that, just that that might be one of the things your "prospective ministers" are concerned about ...)  It may not be fair to expect you to make the first move, but, in light of the fact that people might be concerned about how their efforts would be received, perhaps you could let them know that you would welcome a visit.  I wish you well.

16 hours ago, Teancum said:

15 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

4 minutes ago, Teancum said:

Well that is sort of how I did PPIs when I was responsible for them.

Good for you.  :good:B:)  Regardless of your disaffection from the Church of Jesus Christ since then, I think that speaks well of you.

On 7/21/2022 at 4:33 PM, MustardSeed said:

I minister to lots of people often.  
I have been lackluster in my assignment of ministering. 

Well, that glass is "half-full" as far as I'm concerned.  Good for you. :) 

3 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

I'm sorry to hear that.  Sometimes it can seem as though attempts to reach out to those who have lessened ties with the Church of Jesus Christ is the equivalent of attempting to hug a porcupine.  (To be clear, I'm not saying you're doing that, just that that might be one of the things your "prospective ministers" are concerned about ...)  It may not be fair to expect you to make the first move, but, in light of the fact that people might be concerned about how their efforts would be received, perhaps you could let them know that you would welcome a visit.  I wish you well.

As my faith was waning I met with my bishop and SP and discussed a lot of things but let them know I had no desire to remove my name and visits were welcome.  The we got a new bishop and shortly before that we stopped attending.  But the  new bishop was the person who had been my prior home teacher.  After that crickets.  Then a friend from the ward took me out to lunch and we talked though he was not interested in the details behind my loss of faith and I did not push it.  He did say he was not happy our EQ President had not reached out or sent a ministering brother to see us.  I told him anyone was welcome.  Still no contact.  THen maybe 12 months  later the new bishop who was our former home teacher (for many years) stopped by and we talked about where we were at in a bit more detail. It was a nice chat and like he always had been he was very kind. Again we said we were fine with contact.  But after that, no contact at all other than the text I mentioned.

2 hours ago, Teancum said:

Ya, and I don’t think anyone really expected it to be earth shaking and bring about more participation. This, along with the change that 3rd your Sunday school should be done at home, seemed to be a change for more freedom in application rather than implementing a program that would encourage more participation. 

I honestly feel like participation got worst with ministering assignments, not better. Accountability has been softened a ton.

1 hour ago, Teancum said:

As my faith was waning I met with my bishop and SP and discussed a lot of things but let them know I had no desire to remove my name and visits were welcome.  The we got a new bishop and shortly before that we stopped attending.  But the  new bishop was the person who had been my prior home teacher.  After that crickets.  Then a friend from the ward took me out to lunch and we talked though he was not interested in the details behind my loss of faith and I did not push it.  He did say he was not happy our EQ President had not reached out or sent a ministering brother to see us.  I told him anyone was welcome.  Still no contact.  THen maybe 12 months  later the new bishop who was our former home teacher (for many years) stopped by and we talked about where we were at in a bit more detail. It was a nice chat and like he always had been he was very kind. Again we said we were fine with contact.  But after that, no contact at all other than the text I mentioned.

We are active and are not in a waning faith situation but due to many things I don't wish to get detailed about here, we have attended a ward not our own for two months. I can now see it would be very easy to go inactive. My Bishop knew I was unhappy about some things. Since we stopped attending our ward and have gone to the new one, no one has reached out about it. No contact from our ministering brother. Nothing from ward leadership. Nada. 

2 hours ago, Fether said:

Ya, and I don’t think anyone really expected it to be earth shaking and bring about more participation. This, along with the change that 3rd your Sunday school should be done at home, seemed to be a change for more freedom in application rather than implementing a program that would encourage more participation. 

And I think that's the point - more freedom to follow through or not on those tasks. It's been a hard look in the mirror re: my own stewardship. Why did I complete my home teaching more frequently when it was monitored more? With no one in the leadership following up on my ministering assignments and no reporting out each month, will I still reach out or not? I have not reached out to everyone assigned to me - not even close. I used to be able to use the 'micro-management' complaint before this ministering program. Now, I can't even use that as an excuse. We do our at home gospel instruction about 75% of the time though and we still carve out family time on Monday nights almost every week. ; )