Seriously No Politics ×

Elder Bednar at the National Press Club

Looks like the Catholic Church is working on actual ways to include gay couples into their membership.  Nice to see that they feel they can reach out and be more inclusive in how they treat their LGBT members.  

Pope Francis Suggests Gay Civil Unions May Be Tolerable By Church

I wish “"We are proud to stand with our LGBTQ brothers and sisters," he said. "It is hard work and an objective worth fighting for” was more often put like “"We are proud to stand with our LGBTQ brothers and sisters whenever and wherever we can***, etc”.  We (faithful members) can’t stand with every LGBTQ individual in every case where they would like us to stand, so I think the latter version is more accurate and would result in less confusion, frustration, and less calls of hypocrisy or lying.

***meaning whenever and wherever standing with them does not conflict with our beliefs and standards.

Don't hold your breath on the Catholic church changing very much to accomodate gay couples and civil unions. While they have softened their tone in recent years (much like the LDS church), and done more with outreach to the LGBTQ community (much like the LDS church), there have been no effort to change doctrine and policy (much like the LDS church). 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/02/world/europe/pope-gay-civil-unions.html

Edited by Stormin' Mormon
16 hours ago, Calm said:

I wish “"We are proud to stand with our LGBTQ brothers and sisters," he said. "It is hard work and an objective worth fighting for” was more often put like “"We are proud to stand with our LGBTQ brothers and sisters whenever and wherever we can***, etc”.  We (faithful members) can’t stand with every LGBTQ individual in every case where they would like us to stand, so I think the latter version is more accurate and would result in less confusion, frustration, and less calls of hypocrisy or lying.

***meaning whenever and wherever standing with them does not conflict with our beliefs and standards.

Just saw this meme, hopefully not offending anyone but thought that's how it feels to some LGBTQ

May be a cartoon of 1 person, outdoors and text that says 'nakedpas for.com 배여 BE PATIENT! WE WE'RE WORKING ON IT! STILL WORKING ON T! し'

11 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

I wonder why we don’t differentiate between sealing and marriage?  “We believe sealings between man and woman are ordained of God.”

Because the Church also doesn't support gay marriage. Under the same logic as Elder Paul Johnson gave when he addressed the gay dating issue at BYU: because only men-women marriages are vid in heaven, anything that gets people further away from that is to be discouraged.

I don't think there is a way, doctrinally, for the Church to come out in support of gay marriages. Elder Bednar's quoting of the Proclamation in response to the question really is the doctrinal underpinning to this,I think.

ETA: I think @bluebell's comparison with LDS children living together is a good one. We can support and love family and friends in Tris boat (and we do), but it will forever be incompatible with the gospel and the Church. Supporting gay marriage (but not sealing) is the same.

Edited by rongo
7 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Church doesn’t have to come out in support of gay marriage any more than they need to support French kissing outside of marriage.  IMO. Let marriage be a civil term and issue.  We all know the church sees sealings as superior to marriage anyway. 

I agree, which is probably why the status quo will reign: love and be kind to everyone, but no need to come out in support of gay marriage (or people living together). Preach the truth and try to convince people to repent and change. Be kind and diplomatic.

1 hour ago, rongo said:

I agree, which is probably why the status quo will reign: love and be kind to everyone, but no need to come out in support of gay marriage (or people living together). Preach the truth and try to convince people to repent and change. Be kind and diplomatic.

I agree with all , except I don’t try to convince people to repent. If someone tries to be a better human because they know me, I’m doing my part. ❤️

13 hours ago, rongo said:

Because the Church also doesn't support gay marriage. Under the same logic as Elder Paul Johnson gave when he addressed the gay dating issue at BYU: because only men-women marriages are vid in heaven, anything that gets people further away from that is to be discouraged.

Based on exactly what revelation??  Or is this just one of those blacks and the priesthood, personal opinion thing that people think is doctrine from God?

Edit:  I see that Hamba gave me an downvote.  Predictable.  I also see that he didn't answer the question, because he knows there is NO revelation that says only men-women marriages are vid in heaven.    So if you don't have an answer, just register a down vote.  

Edited by california boy