Patriarchal Blessing Length

4 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

A friend of mine was promised in his that he would be married “in this life”.  He was burned over 80% as a child and endured surgeries constantly- he kept going in anticipation of finding his love and was very faithful- 

He died alone at 70 four years ago.  I suppose some might say that he wasn’t living worthy of the promised blessings. I find it all quite heartbreaking honestly. I have never really looked at my own (4 pages! ) as a predictor of anything.  Life is messy.  Do your best, expect the unexpected, and love God.  End of story. 

Or more likely something happened due to someone else’s agency that interfered with the anticipated relationship if the promise was inspired and meant mortality. 

However, was the promise a bad thing in the end even if it wasn’t fulfilled if it contributed to him being able to endure the pain and still have a full life (I assuming the latter, but very faithful usually means active which means he likely had many other relationships, was able to help others, etc.).  Would it have been better for him if he hadn’t had the promise and possibly instead of sunk into depression because he lacked hope? (Not rhetorical, serious question, is this a possibility?)

Edited by Calm
6 hours ago, Calm said:

Or more likely something happened due to someone else’s agency that interfered with the anticipated relationship if the promise was inspired and meant mortality. 

However, was the promise a bad thing in the end even if it wasn’t fulfilled if it contributed to him being able to endure the pain and still have a full life (I assuming the latter, but very faithful usually means active which means he likely had many other relationships, was able to help others, etc.).  Would it have been better for him if he hadn’t had the promise and possibly instead of sunk into depression because he lacked hope? (Not rhetorical, serious question, is this a possibility?)

I have no doubt that the promise gave him hope.

My issue is, (if it is even really an issue) - promises unfulfilled erode trust in all relationships at least some.  I believe in doing my best, and allowing what comes to come, in finding joy in what I have and letting the rest go.  When I expect otherwise, I get frustrated. 

On 6/15/2022 at 3:08 AM, The Nehor said:

My name is misspelled on mine. I am planning to go apostate over this at some point when I get around to it.

Simonds Rider, is that you?  

11 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

A friend of mine was promised in his that he would be married “in this life”.  He was burned over 80% as a child and endured surgeries constantly- he kept going in anticipation of finding his love and was very faithful- 

He died alone at 70 four years ago.  I suppose some might say that he wasn’t living worthy of the promised blessings. I find it all quite heartbreaking honestly. I have never really looked at my own (4 pages! ) as a predictor of anything.  Life is messy.  Do your best, expect the unexpected, and love God.  End of story. 

I have. Funny enough on the same part about my family. I had a paragraph largely tied to that, going into detail about my relationship with my spouse. When my parents were fighting and things were going badly, I’d take my blessing and read that paragraph again and again to remind myself that this wasn’t what I’d have forever. It’s what I worked towards when fixing some of the baggage I got from said situation. Later in my 20’s and in love with the wrong guy, the same blessing kept me hesitant about him and more cautious while I was with him on and off, since it was apparent he was missing some key traits. That said, There were things I assumed about meeting my husband that I did get wrong. 

With luv

BD