Seriously No Politics ×

My Friendly Friday Questions

One more suggestion, I forgot.

I am not near my library at the moment but if you google "Robert Millet heophanies" you will find a ton of info on this subject 

Edited by mfbukowski
40 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

For us as well there really are not "levels" in the priesthood. I will have to get back to you on that as well.

The administrative functions of who presides are simply... administrative  :)

Area authorities for example have the same priesthood as a humble missionary, though they might preside administratively over, say an area as large as the "Western United States".

Both of those individuals are correctly called "elders" while one is 19 and the other 70 years old with 50 years of leadership experience 

Technically not levels.  Socially, I think we might congratulate men who “progress”. 

1 hour ago, MustardSeed said:

Technically not levels.  Socially, I think we might congratulate men who “progress”. 

Typically for bishops, former bishops greet them with "My condolences for your new calling" with a big smile!

Even apostles have the title of "elder", which is usually given to any new convert within or soon after the 1st anniversary of their baptism.

2 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

I felt that even as the son of the bishop growing up ( my dad was bishop for 10 years of my childhood [2-12 years old]).  "Oh, your bishop's son, welcome!"  Along with that came greater expectations of me.  I remember vividly some older kids in my ward being shocked at some rebellious stuff I was doing, and commenting about how they couldn't believe that the bishops son would do that.   I think there are social pedestals for sure.  

Edited by pogi
2 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

Typically for bishops, former bishops greet them with "My condolences for your new calling" with a big smile!

In an Elders Quorum lesson a month or so ago, we were discussing things that we do that are "customary" as compared to other things that are doctrinal.  Someone brought up using individual sacrament cups for taking the sacrament compared with the prior custom of everyone drinking from the same cup, and asked how it would work out if we returned to the custom of everyone drinking from the same cup.  In response, someone said, "It would probably increase the number of people willing to sit on the front row."  And then someone else said, "And we'd likely have many more that would aspire to be a bishop".  You could change your comment to "congratulations" instead of "condolences" in that case.

On 3/17/2023 at 10:57 AM, mfbukowski said:

Very interesting, thanks!

The quick answer is that our paradigm avoids the whole topic by eliminating the idea that Father is "invisible" because Joseph saw Him, and apparently the Savior as well, appearing as virtually identical twins.  There are other accounts through Christian (Protestant) history of theophanies as well.

While you're thinking I'll see if I can provide a little grist for your mill.

What Catholics and Orthodox, and probably Trinitarians in general are getting at with God being invisible is the idea that God is beyond human comprehension, sense, and ultimately, any mortal's physiology. God is beyond, as it were.

That's not to say that God doesn't manifest His glory in different ways, whether in the person of the Father, the Son, or the Holy Spirit, and even with the limitation that no person who experiences a theophany comprehends God. Catholics do believe in theophanies, after all.

The appearance of the Father and the Son as virtually identical, as described by Joseph Smith, has me thinking in a psychological direction. Hypnagogic phenomena, where part of the brain is in a sleep state, and part is awake, can be accompanied by frightening sleep paralysis (Satan coming upon Joseph Smith), and are prone to duplicated images. Hypnagogia can also contribute to a person going into a revelatory, trance-like state (Hypnagogia is related to narcolepsy). I should clarify that I don't think I have some sort of comprehensive, defeating explanation for Joseph Smith's vision and prophecies; rather, I think hypnagogia could be related to legitimately mystical experience.

What's at stake here is pretty important to me, though. It might be possible that Latter-day Saints and Catholics are talking about God differently, and not just about different Gods. From my perspective, if LDS are taking embodied theophany for their notion of God, there could be significant dialogue. In this sort of dialogue, I would ask Latter-day Saints, for example, if they believe God is a body, or if God merely has a body. 

On 3/17/2023 at 10:57 AM, mfbukowski said:

Secondly, we do not accept original sin.

It is believed that Aquinas was too immersed in Greek philosophy to be relevant on matters such as this, and no, Sirach is not canonical for us.

Joseph also said that Christ was the explicit image of his Father iirc

But it's a great topic, give me some time to think about it more!!

I appreciate that Latter-day Saints reject notions of original sin. I'll spare you the verses, but there is a strong case to be made for it from the Bible.

I realize you're not a fan of St. Thomas, but it's not as simple as he's too immersed in Greek philosophy, and therefore should be ignored. Theophany, after all, is a Greek concept.

I'm looking forward to your thoughts, and to others' thoughts too.

1 hour ago, Saint Bonaventure said:

I realize you're not a fan of St. Thomas, but it's not as simple as he's too immersed in Greek philosophy, and therefore should be ignored. Theophany, after all, is a Greek concept.

I want to emphasize this. Catholic theologians were not dumb or somehow obviously blinded. They could be wrong, for sure, but they can’t be waved away. Some of the brightest minds in Western Civilization believed in and argued for Catholic doctrine. I usually point this out in discussions of the Trinity. 

17 hours ago, Saint Bonaventure said:

While you're thinking I'll see if I can provide a little grist for your mill.

What Catholics and Orthodox, and probably Trinitarians in general are getting at with God being invisible is the idea that God is beyond human comprehension, sense, and ultimately, any mortal's physiology. God is beyond, as it were.

That's not to say that God doesn't manifest His glory in different ways, whether in the person of the Father, the Son, or the Holy Spirit, and even with the limitation that no person who experiences a theophany comprehends God. Catholics do believe in theophanies, after all.

The appearance of the Father and the Son as virtually identical, as described by Joseph Smith, has me thinking in a psychological direction. Hypnagogic phenomena, where part of the brain is in a sleep state, and part is awake, can be accompanied by frightening sleep paralysis (Satan coming upon Joseph Smith), and are prone to duplicated images. Hypnagogia can also contribute to a person going into a revelatory, trance-like state (Hypnagogia is related to narcolepsy). I should clarify that I don't think I have some sort of comprehensive, defeating explanation for Joseph Smith's vision and prophecies; rather, I think hypnagogia could be related to legitimately mystical experience.

What's at stake here is pretty important to me, though. It might be possible that Latter-day Saints and Catholics are talking about God differently, and not just about different Gods. From my perspective, if LDS are taking embodied theophany for their notion of God, there could be significant dialogue. In this sort of dialogue, I would ask Latter-day Saints, for example, if they believe God is a body, or if God merely has a body. 

I appreciate that Latter-day Saints reject notions of original sin. I'll spare you the verses, but there is a strong case to be made for it from the Bible.

I'm looking forward to your thoughts, and to others' thoughts too.

St. B. The Scriptures that we accept along with the LDS probably does not resolve the question of original sin either for or against the Catholic teaching. However, I have been thinking that if we Catholics would understand our LDS friends better, and they us, both sides could benefit from finding that we agree more about the question of original sin than we might have realized. By not taking their claims of denying original sin for granted, it seems to me like we can show more clearly, and what precisely we mean, by "original" vs. actual sin.

For the record, this is all in the "if I am not mistaken" category. If LDS say that newborn babes do not need Christ's Passion and Death on the Cross, and instead merit salvation themselves, apart from Christ's work, I will retract the proposition I am making.  The conversation as undertaken by Catholics, or other Christians who believe as we do about the question, should begin to insist that LDS believe in original sin just as Catholics do. Here is my proposed explanation for why this should be the case: 

IIANM (if I am not mistaken), LDS do not believe that a newborn baby that dies, goes straight to the most exalted place, except because Jesus died for them.

A newborn baby has never committed an actual sin at all. Why would a baby need Christ when it has never actually sinned? IIAMN, because like Catholics, Mormons believe that in Adam all die. THAT is, of course, because of what Catholics call, the original sin of Adam. In Adam all die, in Christ all live.

IIANM, many LDS understandably, but falsely think, that because baptism is unnecessary for a newborn in their view, that they do not believe in what Catholics call original sin. But IIANM, if they think the baby needs the merits of Christ, it is because they DO believe in original sin. It must be granted that the blood of Christ is applied to newborns APART from baptism in the LDS scheme. But the LDS do appear to, IIANM, believe that newborns need Christ's atonement. It should not necessarily be granted that LDS reject the original sin of Adam in all his subsequent offspring. I say this in an effort to help us understand that we are closer than either side has seen very often. 

If I am correct about what I think the LDS teach on this matter from my interaction here over the years, I doubt that it is accurate for Catholics to admit that LDS reject what we call original sin. LDS accept original sin (as Catholics understand it). What LDS reject is pedobaptism as a sacramental medium for the remission of original sin in those who have not reached the age of reason. 

In my opinion, we do not differ about original sin. We differ about how original sin is remitted. IIANM, this should shift the discussion in important ways.

"And as in Adam all die, so also in Christ all shall be made alive."

---I Cor. 15:22

Edited by 3DOP
16 hours ago, MiserereNobis said:

I want to emphasize this. Catholic theologians were not dumb or somehow obviously blinded. They could be wrong, for sure, but they can’t be waved away. Some of the brightest minds in Western Civilization believed in and argued for Catholic doctrine. I usually point this out in discussions of the Trinity. 

Yeah Miserere, I remember one noted LDS apologist was here for a while in the early days, who subsequently abandoned the LDS faith, refer to Aquinas as an "idiot". That is not what Mark would say I know. He would probably say that Aquinas was brilliant at taking false presuppositions to logical conclusions. We should be dealing with presuppositions, not logical conclusions, and certainly not imaginary idiotic conclusions. As with us, there are always "faithful" souls in every camp, who do not seem to be able to rest secure in their faith, unless other successful errors are obviously stupid. 

On 6/10/2022 at 11:16 AM, Saint Bonaventure said:

The LDS Articles of Faith seem very similar to a creed. Is there a difference?

It's a creed in that it's a statement of belief. It's not a creed in that you have to believe every single article to get a temple recommend. You just have to believe (1), (3), and that the Church was restored through Joseph Smith.

On 6/14/2022 at 10:40 AM, Saint Bonaventure said:

I use an RSV as my main Bible, but also have an NRSV that includes the additional canonical books of the Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox churches.

RSV is my favorite as well. I use it in my personal study, and use the KJV when I'm at Church. The Orthodox Study Bible (which I also have) translates the OT out of the Septuagint.

Edited by Hamilton Porter
On 3/17/2023 at 12:51 PM, InCognitus said:

And then someone else said, "And we'd likely have many more that would aspire to be a bishop".  You could change your comment to "congratulations" instead of "condolences" in that case.

The other side of this is that it is also NOT cool to openly aspire to be a bishop, and the "condolence" thing might be designed to emphasize that.

Maybe just a tad of false humility?

But who wants another unpaid 30-40 hour per week responsibility listening to stories of pain and woes?

It's not a lot of fun. 

Edited by mfbukowski

Following up on the discussion of the LDS Articles of Faith:

A strong argument can be made of the necessity of a Christian creed from Matthew 28:19-20. Those verses declare that:

Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 ¶ teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you; and behold, I am with you always, to the close of the age.” 

The Holy Bible, Revised Standard Version; Second Catholic Edition. (San Francisco: Ignatius Press, 2006), Mt 28:19–20.

The apostles were to teach all nations to "observe all that I have commanded you." 

I think this passage strongly implies that what the apostles were commanded to teach was not merely opinion. Their teaching was to be authoritative, was to be for everyone, and was to form Christianity's essential doctrines.

I accept that Latter-day Saints may say that at some point those foundational teachings were lost. 

However, I am uncertain as to what teachings Latter-day Saints would teach to all nations as the objective truths commanded by the Son. I'm not doubting their existence so much as I'm confessing that I'm not sure what they are and will appreciate any enlightenment offered. 

Edited by Saint Bonaventure
On 3/19/2023 at 11:47 AM, 3DOP said:

He would probably say that Aquinas was brilliant at taking false presuppositions to logical conclusions.

Dang, that is a really brilliant way of putting it, and you pegged it exactly!

Aquinas was a follower of Aristotle, the philosophical giant of that time, and Aquinas did in fact apply Aristotle's views to religion, and so also magnifying Plato's role in influencing Christian theology.

But his assumptions are highly incompatible with the LDS paradigm.

1 hour ago, Saint Bonaventure said:

Following up on the discussion of the LDS Articles of Faith:

A strong argument can be made of the necessity of a Christian creed from Matthew 28:19-20. Those verses declare that:

The apostles were to teach all nations to "observe all that I have commanded you." 

I think this passage strongly implies that what the apostles were commanded to teach was not merely opinion. Their teaching was to be authoritative, was to be for everyone, and was to form Christianity's essential doctrines.

I accept that Latter-day Saints may say that at some point those foundational teachings were lost. 

However, I am uncertain as to what teachings Latter-day Saints would teach to all nations as the objective truths commanded by the Son.

In no way do the AoF constitute anything close to "all that I have commanded you."

I see the Articles as what they were, essentially a quick article and almost a sales pitch to be published in a newspaper.  :)

8 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

In no way do the AoF constitute anything close to "all that I have commanded you."

I see the Articles as what they were, essentially a quick article and almost a sales pitch to be published in a newspaper.  :)

Fair enough.

At the same time, a sales pitch in newspaper is a far cry from the historical relevance of "articles of faith." Not everyone would think the LDS Articles of Faith have the gravity of the Nicene Creed, but many would associate them with something on the level of the Westminster Confession of Faith. 

I am very much still interested in what authoritative teaching is commanded to be taught to everyone, at least from a Latter-day Saint perspective.

4 hours ago, Saint Bonaventure said:

Fair enough.

At the same time, a sales pitch in newspaper is a far cry from the historical relevance of "articles of faith." Not everyone would think the LDS Articles of Faith have the gravity of the Nicene Creed, but many would associate them with something on the level of the Westminster Confession of Faith. 

I am very much still interested in what authoritative teaching is commanded to be taught to everyone, at least from a Latter-day Saint perspective.

I agree. IMO they are very very misunderstood.

Joseph himself repeatedly said that we should NOT have creeds, dogmas, or doctrines, but are free to follow the spirit wherever it leads.

That was the way he "found" his path after all and he was not about to impose his views on others.

I think Prof Givens has a lot to say about this.

But you have to understand how confident Joseph was of his position- he believed that anyone could ask God for answers and they would be directed as he was.

That is the backbone of the church.

We may disagree on some points, but as long as we are honestly able to pass a temple recommend interview - we are as much "good latter-day Saints" as anyone.

We are all to be our own "prophets"

In the temple we are all dressed identically as a symbol of this.

4 hours ago, Saint Bonaventure said:

Fair enough.

Here's some quick "research"

https://www.deilataylor.com/joseph-smith-did-not-a-mormon-creed/

https://www.ldsliving.com/all-in/fiona-and-terryl-givens-the-restoration-of-all-things

Edited by mfbukowski

A late edition question, as I've been travelling.

From multiple directions--posters here, family members, a few sermons on LDS.org--I am understanding that Latter-day Saints hold strongly to the teaching that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are one in purpose. Moreover, that oneness in purpose is often cited as a reason that LDS notions of God are vastly different from the Greek gods, etc., who clearly are not one in purpose.

With this oneness in purpose teaching in mind:

Why don't Latter-day Saints pray to the Son or to the Holy Spirit? Does the Father have a purpose--receiving prayers--that the Son and the Holy Spirit do not have?

6 minutes ago, Saint Bonaventure said:

A late edition question, as I've been travelling.

From multiple directions--posters here, family members, a few sermons on LDS.org--I am understanding that Latter-day Saints hold strongly to the teaching that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are one in purpose. Moreover, that oneness in purpose is often cited as a reason that LDS notions of God are vastly different from the Greek gods, etc., who clearly are not one in purpose.

Why don't Latter-day Saints pray to the Son or to the Holy Spirit? Does the Father have a purpose--receiving prayers--that the Son and the Holy Spirit do not have?

Formula of prayer is to pray: To the Father which authority and blessings ultimately derives, in the name of Christ as a mediator between God and sinful man, and through the medium of the Holy Ghost that is what connects us all through our spirit. Each personage is involved in the praying process. Each functionally, legally one. I see Jesus, and he says something to me, he's relaying a message from the Father.

3 minutes ago, Saint Bonaventure said:

My unofficial version :

Oness in purpose is seen as a rational way in which 3 persons may be "one" as opposed to consubstantiality.  One can see even sports teams, though imperfect, as being many who are "one in purpose"

The Greek notion dividing substance from appearance, also found in transubstantiation, doesn't seem rational to many.  This is another way that Hellenistic thought is said to be a basis of the "apostasy".

So the " team members" some say, may have different "functions",  Father leads and presides, the Word is the messenger to men and the Spirit is the comforter. Their purpose is to " bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man".

The team is also a family thinking and acting as one. One prays to the family name "Elohiem", (plural = Gods)- Jehovah, perhaps as one might address a corporation by its corporate name, at least that is what it seems to me.  "Dear Fathers...."

Imagine doing 40 billion things (answering prayers etc ;)) at once as a team.

No problem.

1 hour ago, mfbukowski said:

My unofficial version :

Oness in purpose is seen as a rational way in which 3 persons may be "one" as opposed to consubstantiality.  One can see even sports teams, though imperfect, as being many who are "one in purpose"

The Greek notion dividing substance from appearance, also found in transubstantiation, doesn't seem rational to many.  This is another way that Hellenistic thought is said to be a basis of the "apostasy".

So the " team members" some say, may have different "functions",  Father leads and presides, the Word is the messenger to men and the Spirit is the comforter. Their purpose is to " bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man".

The team is also a family thinking and acting as one. One prays to the family name "Elohiem", (plural = Gods)- Jehovah, perhaps as one might address a corporation by its corporate name, at least that is what it seems to me.  "Dear Fathers...."

Imagine doing 40 billion things (answering prayers etc ;)) at once as a team.

No problem.

Mark... the problem you mention is a reason why the Church, without saying Aquinas was wrong, does not necessarily insist on what you call "substance theology". Philosophy can be the "handmaid of theology". We believe that. I am all on board as you know with substance and accident because it makes sense to me. 

But to others, a certain way of thinking might cease to serve as a help, or handmaid. Aquinas was only born in 1227. That is very late. We can move off of someone who didn't arrive until the Church was in its thirteenth century. If a philosophy is a stumbling block, we have to find other ways to express our faith.

You like Bp. Barron? I am thinking that maybe he understands better than I have to this point, why the Catholic faith, if epitomized in St. Thomas, can find other, less difficult ways to modern ears, to express the Apostolic faith as Catholics have believed before St. Thomas and today.

Edited by 3DOP
2 hours ago, Saint Bonaventure said:

I have never understood "intercession". Can't one simply pray to one's Father? 

No middle person?

1 hour ago, 3DOP said:

Mark... the problem you mention is a reason why the Church, without saying Aquinas was wrong, does not necessarily insist on what you call "substance theology". Philosophy can be the "handmaid of theology". We believe that. I am all on board as you know with substance and accident because it makes sense to me. 

But to others, a certain way of thinking might cease to serve as a help, or handmaid. Aquinas was only born in 1227. That is very late. We can move off of someone who didn't arrive until the Church was in its thirteenth century. If a philosophy is a stumbling block, we have to find other ways to express our faith.

You like Bp. Barron? I am thinking that maybe he understands better than I have to this point, why the Catholic faith, if epitomized in St. Thomas, can find other, less difficult ways to modern ears, to express the Apostolic faith as Catholics have believed before St. Thomas and today.

In our hearts, honestly, I think we are the same.  If I ignored philosophy I could be Catholic again.

I could say "It's all a mystery" and go on with life!  "It's all beyond language"

I say that all the time anyway, and it IS!

But I can't because I was looking for Catholicism that made sense to me!

The COJCLDS fits the bill. I have answers that my mind demands.

This EXPLANATION of the ineffable mystery puts it all together for me, and why should I give that up? :)

Besides, God told me he wants me here, not there.  Every Sunday I feel that echo, a repitition of those initial experiences that gave me absolute certainty that I was doing the right thing.

I can't change that. 

But genuine thanks, dear buddy, for your caring.  I think I could turn around your question and change the names and ask you the same sorts of questions! God Bless you, my brother!

On 3/19/2023 at 11:47 AM, 3DOP said:

Yeah Miserere, I remember one noted LDS apologist was here for a while in the early days, who subsequently abandoned the LDS faith, refer to Aquinas as an "idiot". That is not what Mark would say I know. He would probably say that Aquinas was brilliant at taking false presuppositions to logical conclusions. We should be dealing with presuppositions, not logical conclusions, and certainly not imaginary idiotic conclusions. As with us, there are always "faithful" souls in every camp, who do not seem to be able to rest secure in their faith, unless other successful errors are obviously stupid. 

Exactly right!

12 hours ago, Pyreaux said:

Formula of prayer is to pray: To the Father which authority and blessings ultimately derives, in the name of Christ as a mediator between God and sinful man, and through the medium of the Holy Ghost that is what connects us all through our spirit. Each personage is involved in the praying process. Each functionally, legally one. I see Jesus, and he says something to me, he's relaying a message from the Father.

I appreciate the simplicity of the formula of prayer, and also the functionality of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit as regarding that formula. I certainly am familiar with, and respect, prayers said in the fashion you describe.

The oneness in purpose is still eluding me, though, at least in some respects. I can see the distinct roles in prayer as you describe them, and at the same time the purposes seem to all enfold into obedience to the Father (the ultimate authority and source of blessings), and therefore into subordination to the Father on the part of the Son (who relays messages from the Father) and of the Holy Spirit (perhaps the means through which the Son relays the Father's messages). Such an understanding of roles in prayer could collapse into:

Formula of prayer is to pray: To Zeus, from whom authority and blessings ultimately derives, in the name of Hermes, as a mediator between Zeus and sinful man, and through the wind of the Anemoi that connects us all. 

I don't assume that's what you believe; I'm just sharing my thinking so you know how what you've written is landing in my mind. 

My question is that if oneness in purpose for the LDS Godhead is ultimately about "Father Knows Best" and a subordination of the Son and the Holy Spirit, then that oneness looks to me not like shared purpose, but simply like obedience.

Historically, subordinationism was a controversy in the church in the 2nd century (the adoptionists and others) and again in the 4th century (the Arians). I am not saying that Latter-day Saints are subordinationists, although that possibility is occurring to me. I'm very willing to be corrected.