Seriously No Politics ×

Banner of Heaven and Joseph Smith Assassination

Just got done watching the latest episode and it depicts the martyrdom.  It was pretty graphic and I liked that it wasn't sugar coated.  My question is from those who have studied the event in detail - it is accurate?  It seems to me it was - I know they desecrated Joseph's body after like they show, but I thought they also dealt some blows to his face - at least I recall hearing that.

What were your thoughts of the depiction, if you have seen it?  I would like to see a complete, uninterrupted depiction of church history with some grit like this - but don't know if I will ever see it since antagonists of the church have an agenda to sensationalize what they see as the villainy of the early church leaders, and the Church, rightfully so, is focused on producing faith-promoting content without focusing too overtly on the disturbing, possibly 'R-rated' content.

I've not watched it yet, but Joseph was hit six times before he fell out the window and sat up against the well waiting until they all came out and they proceeded to riddle him with holes, apparently not in the face. I have the death masks of Joseph and Hyrum and only Hyrum Smith has a hole in his face.

28067-2929815922.jpg

Edited by Pyreaux

The same reason George Cannon made them, so I can see their faces. I decorate my home with bits of historic models of artifacts and replicas. I was on ebay and I already bought a Izapa Stela 5 and a Sun Stone, they also had the Death Masks. No one as ever made me feel guilty about it until now, people who come over to my house seem to enjoy it. Morbid? Then perhaps I shouldn't mention I bought a Shroud of Torin sheet (that I never sleep with! I just look at it!).

15 minutes ago, Pyreaux said:

The same reason George Cannon made them, so I can see their faces. I decorate my home with bits of historic models of artifacts and replicas. I was on ebay and I already bought a Izapa Stela 5 and a Sun Stone, they also had the Death Masks. No one as ever made me feel guilty about it until now, people who come over to my house seem to enjoy it. Morbid? Then perhaps I shouldn't mention I bought a Shroud of Torin sheet (that I never sleep with! I just look at it!).

The Shroud of Turin fascinates me, but the idea of sleeping under a replica is just ghoulish :)

Did you see the documentary where they were allowed to carbon date a corner piece? They dated it to the medieval times and published their findings, they assumed it was a medieval fake. But the some of the samples had fibers woven into each other. Then they looked into the history to realize the shroud was in a fire and the corner of it was burned and they had repaired it. They think the samples were part of that repair job, so they wanted to do another test but the keepers wouldn't let them. So the public thinks its a fake, but its actually still a mystery.

Edited by Pyreaux
41 minutes ago, Pyreaux said:

I don’t like busts or very many portraits even.  I recognize everyone has their own tastes.  No reason to assume it is morbid if it doesn’t make you wallow in death.  Didn’t intend to suggest guilt, just was wondering why it appealed to you as it’s not common.  

The Stela is beautiful and cool and I would have that in my house even though I don’t believe it is connected with Levi’s vision at all.  We actually have a Sun Stone my husband picked up…if I could figure out a setting I thought complimented it, it would be somewhere besides his study.

9 minutes ago, Calm said:

We actually have a Sun Stone my husband picked up…if I could figure out a setting I thought complimented it, it would be somewhere besides his study.

Group it with other Nauvoo knickknacks; a moon stone, a star stone, a Nauvoo brick, prairie diamond, a small scale Moroni weather-vain (if you can find it, if you do tell me).

Perhaps a bookend for LDS books. I have some classic books like Mormon Doctrine, The Three Nephites, All Things Restored, The Falling Away, and The Bible Says 1830... ah, remember whyprophets.com?

7 minutes ago, Pyreaux said:

a small scale Moroni weather-vain (if you can find it, if you do tell me).

Yeah, I am picky in my knickknacks and it just isn’t theme, but color and shape that I have to think about if it is on my shelves.  the Moon and star stones would be fine, the others not.

Do you mean the angel on its side holding a book iirc?  Not Moroni btw.  We have a one about two hands long, pretty flimsy unfortunately.  Not my thing.  Not into rustic.

http://3dtemples.photogent.com/know-your-moroni-fieldguide/the-first-angel/

Edited by Calm
17 hours ago, Pyreaux said:

I've not watched it yet, but Joseph was hit six times before he fell out the window and sat up against the well waiting until they all came out and they proceeded to riddle him with holes, apparently not in the face. I have the death masks of Joseph and Hyrum and only Hyrum Smith has a hole in his face.

They portray all of that pretty much as you said - I will have to dig and see where I read that they hit Joseph in the face - but it was a pretty compelling scene. If teh previous scened featuring Joseph didn't paint him as so nefarious, the martyrdom scene really makes you feel empathy for the way those men were attacked.

21 hours ago, Maestrophil said:

My question is from those who have studied the event in detail - it is accurate?

One of the commenters I saw noted there was an issue with the location. The show makes it look like the jail was kind of off in the middle of nowhere, when in reality there should have been roads and whatnot surrounding it; it was part of a city after all. Which is true; there are still other historical buildings near Carthage which have survived to this day.

I would say that there were a couple of artistic liberties taken, and I didn't bother to pay close attention to every possible detail (e.g., number of times John Taylor was shot for example), but overall I would probably say that this flashback sequence was the most accurate historical portrayal I have seen from the series thus far.

1 hour ago, Amulek said:

One of the commenters I saw noted there was an issue with the location. The show makes it look like the jail was kind of off in the middle of nowhere, when in reality there should have been roads and whatnot surrounding it; it was part of a city after all. Which is true; there are still other historical buildings near Carthage which have survived to this day.

I would say that there were a couple of artistic liberties taken, and I didn't bother to pay close attention to every possible detail (e.g., number of times John Taylor was shot for example), but overall I would probably say that this flashback sequence was the most accurate historical portrayal I have seen from the series thus far.

That's what I was thinking too - too bad they played loose with other aspects of history. 😛