Seriously No Politics ×

Global Nuclear War and the Scriptures

1 hour ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Sorry I derailed your thread.  Meanwhile, back at the ranch ... [as an old, then-about-to-retire AP English teacher of mine said when he realized he'd gone on an irrelevant 30-minute-rant/tangent ... ;)]

I think nuclear war leading up to the Second Coming is possible, but, for some reason (perhaps it's simply an incorrect assumption on my part) everything I've read leads me to believe that the Battle of Armageddon will be a conventional war.  For one thing, that battle, rather than being a relatively brief flash of brilliant light, will be protracted.  The Two Prophets sent to Israel will hold Jerusalem's opponents at bay for quite some time before meeting their temporary, telling demise.

I am not sure I entirely accept the battle of Armageddon timeline. Too much of it seems to have been cribbed from other faiths and not revelation.

That being said I could see Russia attacking Israel with their current level of military incompetence and being stalemated for over three years. It seems like their tactics are regressing. I half expect to see WWI mass charges against entrenched positions in Ukraine soon as they lean more and more into incompetence.

On 5/9/2022 at 7:19 PM, Metis_LDS said:

Walking into my Ward a few Sundays ago a person at the entrance was loudly warning of Nuclear war... What think you???

I think that not every apocalyptic scripture is actually about a physical war.

The most interesting (and imo enlightening) examination of the Book of Revelation I have read is "The Unveiling" by J.J. Dewey.  According to Dewey, "The Unveiling of Jesus Christ" would actually be a more accurate translation of the book's title than the one given in its first verse, namely "The Revelation of Jesus Christ".  Briefly, what Dewey presents in detail is an interpretation of the book as a guide to the spiritual development of the serious disciple. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here, for whatever it may be worth, is a little snippet of something I have been reading lately, Gerald N. Lund (2020) The Second Coming of the Lord, Salt Lake City UT: Deseret Book.

These are my notes, not quotes from the book itself:

Chapter 13: "Wars and Rumors of Wars"

E. Will There Be a Nuclear Holocaust? Second Coming Ch. 13 Brother Lund writes that while the answer to this question is uncertain, a nuclear holocaust is unlikely. Rather, the consumption of the wicked will be because they are unable to withstand the glory of the returning Savior. See the following scriptures:

1. Fire and the Glory of the Lord’s Coming

a. Doctrine and Covenants 133:41-44

b. 2 Nephi 27:1-2

c. Jacob 6:3

d. Doctrine and Covenants 133:41-44

2. Fire as Metaphor for Guilt, Suffering of Wicked

a. Jacob 6:10

b. Mosiah 2:38

c. Alma 12:14

3. But Did Others Describe a Nuclear Holocaust? – And if they did describe a nuclear holocaust, Brother Lund asks, did they describe one that, to us, is yet future, or did they describe the nuclear bombardment of the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki during World War II?

Edited by Kenngo1969
9 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Here, for whatever it may be worth, is a little snippet of something I have been reading lately, Gerald N. Lund (2020) The Second Coming of the Lord, Salt Lake City UT: Deseret Book.

These are my notes, not quotes from the book itself:

Chapter 13: "Wars and Rumors of Wars"

Thanks for sharing this. I think we can also find some insight from Exodus 19 and 20 when the children of Israel provoked the lord. The Lord invited them into his presence, but they were scared and would not enter it “lest we die”. (Ex 20:19)

On 5/11/2022 at 1:45 PM, The Nehor said:

I am not sure I entirely accept the battle of Armageddon timeline. Too much of it seems to have been cribbed from other faiths and not revelation.

John the Beloved does NOT crib.  Nephi testified that John has the unique and sacred commission for testifying of the End Times.  I can accept that there will be 200 million combatants and that they will be held in check.  Both in Old Jerusalem and the valley of Meggido.

On 5/11/2022 at 1:45 PM, The Nehor said:

That being said I could see Russia attacking Israel with their current level of military incompetence and being stalemated for over three years. It seems like their tactics are regressing. I half expect to see WWI mass charges against entrenched positions in Ukraine soon as they lean more and more into incompetence.

This is way too short term.  The more atrocities Russia commits against Ukraine, the greater the chance of Europe setting up a bulwark against further encroachments (at the same NOT provoking Russia).  It will be more likely for the Russian oligarchs to finally depose Putin.

On 5/9/2022 at 5:19 PM, Metis_LDS said:

Walking into my Ward a few Sundays ago a person at the entrance was loudly warning of Nuclear war.

I told them that I felt will all that the Scriptures speak about that still needs to come to pass there would

be no Global Nuclear War and no Nuclear winter.

I could be wrong,  one scene would be Nuclear war with all future events in the Scriptures being greatly delayed.

What think you???

If you believe in a six day creation and that evolution is evil, a literal flood covering the mountains with water, that Joshua stopped the sun from moving, then your view is consistent in believing in that future.

Literal past goes with literal future.

Figurative past goes with figurative future.

If that's your paradigm, go for it! :)

9 hours ago, longview said:

John the Beloved does NOT crib.  Nephi testified that John has the unique and sacred commission for testifying of the End Times.  I can accept that there will be 200 million combatants and that they will be held in check.  Both in Old Jerusalem and the valley of Meggido.

I didn’t say John the Beloved cribbed. I said the early Saints got a lot of their ideas of end-times prophecy meanings from American Christians who had some rather odd End Times beliefs.

9 hours ago, longview said:

This is way too short term.  The more atrocities Russia commits against Ukraine, the greater the chance of Europe setting up a bulwark against further encroachments (at the same NOT provoking Russia).  It will be more likely for the Russian oligarchs to finally depose Putin.

I was saying I could see a Russian invasion of the Middle East stalling in a similar way. This military regression could even make the reports of cavalry in said battles more realistic as they are running out of tanks and fighting vehicles and have little to no ability to construct more.

50 minutes ago, Thinking said:

I think Putin doesn't really care about what the scriptures say about the end times.

Very likely not, but Satan doesn't care, either, and yet, unwittingly and unwillingly, nonetheless, he's part of the plan.  (See Romans 8:28).

Some of the passages in the Book of revelation, especially in a modern context, seem to potentially be about nuclear war. Insect plagues, body parts falling off, a falling star with the same name as Chernobyl landing in the water and poisoning it.

2 hours ago, Jaydes said:

...a falling star with the same name as Chernobyl landing in the water and poisoning it.

Please elaborate?

On 5/30/2022 at 8:45 AM, Thinking said:

I think Putin doesn't really care about what the scriptures say about the end times.

No but I bet he cares Big Time about about the propaganda potential of everything 

19 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

Please elaborate?

Revelation 8

"The first angel sounded his trumpet, and there came hail and fire mixed with blood, and it was hurled down on the earth. A third of the earth was burned up, a third of the trees were burned up, and all the green grass was burned up.

The second angel sounded his trumpet, and something like a huge mountain, all ablaze, was thrown into the sea. A third of the sea turned into blood, a third of the living creatures in the sea died, and a third of the ships were destroyed.

The third angel sounded his trumpet, and a great star, blazing like a torch, fell from the sky on a third of the rivers and on the springs of water— the name of the star is Wormwood. A third of the waters turned bitter, and many people died from the waters that had become bitter."

1 hour ago, Jaydes said:

Revelation 8

"The first angel sounded his trumpet, and there came hail and fire mixed with blood, and it was hurled down on the earth. A third of the earth was burned up, a third of the trees were burned up, and all the green grass was burned up.

The second angel sounded his trumpet, and something like a huge mountain, all ablaze, was thrown into the sea. A third of the sea turned into blood, a third of the living creatures in the sea died, and a third of the ships were destroyed.

The third angel sounded his trumpet, and a great star, blazing like a torch, fell from the sky on a third of the rivers and on the springs of water— the name of the star is Wormwood. A third of the waters turned bitter, and many people died from the waters that had become bitter."

I asked before what that has to do with wormwood and Chernobyl?

Edit: found it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wormwood_(Bible)

Not sure I find that credible, it seems too convenient, but it is interesting thanks!

Wormwood is an herb also used to heal, but surely a colliding asteroid could do the job if one finds the idea credible  :)

Chernobyl was not a falling star, and it seems to me to be a deliberately manufactured parallelism

But interesting!

Edited by mfbukowski
2 hours ago, Jaydes said:

Both words (wormwood, and chernobyl) have the same meaning, but in differing languages.

I got it!

I guess there must be a lot of wormwood in that area.

My name "Bukowski" means "son of the man from land of beech trees" 

Those Slavs like to name things after plants. 

That's a good opportunity for a jokester, any takers? 🤪

7 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

My name "Bukowski" means "son of the man from land of beech trees"

Filing that one away for future reference... may come in handy some day!

2 hours ago, manol said:

Filing that one away for future reference... may come in handy some day!

Somehow, I saw that coming... ;)

Beech tree bark was used to make books, so "buk = book".

But you can keep your house-key.

Edited by mfbukowski