Seriously No Politics ×

Majority of operating temples now in Phase 4, moving to normal operations

Phase 4 still means that appointments are required. I'm sure that in practice, walk-ins are accepted if they can be accommodated. I wonder if there continue to be profound staffing issues --- hence the appointment system, even in big temples. 

3 hours ago, rongo said:

Phase 4 still means that appointments are required. I'm sure that in practice, walk-ins are accepted if they can be accommodated. I wonder if there continue to be profound staffing issues --- hence the appointment system, even in big temples. 

If appointments are still required, then how is that normal operations?  Appointments aren't normal.  

2 hours ago, bluebell said:

If appointments are still required, then how is that normal operations?  Appointments aren't normal.  

I agree. It would be even more "normal" to not use a "phase" system at all. 

We got our emails yesterday for the Gilbert temple district, saying that we were moving to phase 4, so make an appointment . . . But, we've had speakers (including temple presidency members at stake conference) pleading with members to come back to the temple --- it's a ghost town, and very under-used. 

I still think the fact that the appointment system remains means that there continues to be ongoing shortages of workers. And that after a two year major disruption to being able to go to the temple, people who used to go just aren't going very much any more. 

Edited by rongo
11 hours ago, rongo said:

I agree. It would be even more "normal" to not use a "phase" system at all. 

We got our emails yesterday for the Gilbert temple district, saying that we were moving to phase 4, so make an appointment . . . But, we've had speakers (including temple presidency members at stake conference) pleading with members to come back to the temple --- it's a ghost town, and very under-used. 

I still think the fact that the appointment system remains means that there continues to be ongoing shortages of workers. And that after a two year major disruption to being able to go to the temple, people who used to go just aren't going very much any more. 

The appointment system is what is making me not go right now.  I rarely plan my temple attendance and just tried to go when I was able (something I might not know until an hour before I decide to go).  I don't have a life that works well with having to find a 3 hour block weeks in advance to set aside time to do something.

I know I need to make more of an effort and that is on me.  But the old way worked much better for me than this new way (which is not at all normal).

47 minutes ago, bluebell said:

The appointment system is what is making me not go right now.  I rarely plan my temple attendance and just tried to go when I was able (something I might not know until an hour before I decide to go).  I don't have a life that works well with having to find a 3 hour block weeks in advance to set aside time to do something.

I know I need to make more of an effort and that is on me.  But the old way worked much better for me than this new way (which is not at all normal).

We've been told by temple presidency members that you can just show up as a walk-in without an appointment. Temple attendance is way down, and walk-ins can be accommodated as if things were normal. I think the reason why the Church doesn't just go back to normal is a "lowest common denominator" approach (members who would get very upset at the thought of the Church "not taking it seriously" any more). There are not really any government restriction or pandemic reasons to restrict numbers in temples any more --- and attendance numbers are naturally suppressed, anyway.

As I said, I think another reason is that temples are very understaffed, so appointments allow them to ensure that there is enough staff to cover. Walk-ins can be approved case-by-case. 

• 1 month later...

As an FYI, my perspective it that of a former temple ordinance worker and weekly attender.

Sadly the appointment process continues   to be an impediment to temple attendance.  Walk-ins are not allowed in my area of UT even if there is room in the session.  To book an appointment, it is 2 months out which is just unworkable for me.

if The Church wishes to increase temple attendance, remove the appointment process immediately.  If not enough workers is the issue, make the work schedules more flexible (ex  a bi-weekly option vs weekly only). Sheesh people in The Church LOVE their rules.

On 6/17/2022 at 3:24 PM, Durangout said:

As an FYI, my perspective it that of a former temple ordinance worker and weekly attender.

Sadly the appointment process continues   to be an impediment to temple attendance.  Walk-ins are not allowed in my area of UT even if there is room in the session.  To book an appointment, it is 2 months out which is just unworkable for me.

if The Church wishes to increase temple attendance, remove the appointment process immediately.  If not enough workers is the issue, make the work schedules more flexible (ex  a bi-weekly option vs weekly only). Sheesh people in The Church LOVE their rules.

I'm in Utah and I heard that they have removed the appointment requirement for the temples around me (either they have removed it or it will soon happen, I can't remember which it was).  So maybe there is hope for your's.

On 6/19/2022 at 3:34 PM, bluebell said:

I'm in Utah and I heard that they have removed the appointment requirement for the temples around me (either they have removed it or it will soon happen, I can't remember which it was).  So maybe there is hope for your's.

Great news:!!I just received the following email:

“Change in Temple Schedulingspacer.gifspacer.gifDraper Utah Templespacer.gifMembers who want to attend the Draper Utah Temple to perform proxy ordinances now have the option to either schedule an appointment or attend without an appointment, where space is available.spacer.gifAs priority will be given to members with appointments, those who attend without an appointment may be asked to wait for an opportunity to participate. As it has always been, appointments will still be necessary for all members who come to receive their own ordinances (endowment and sealing).spacer.gifYou are encouraged to attend the temple as often as your circumstances allow.spacer.gifHow to Reserve an Appointmentspacer.gifYou can reserve an appointment on ChurchofJesusChrist.org, in the Member Tools app, or by calling the temple. Also, you may now schedule multiple appointments for any ordinance in any temple.”

Our temple has also resumed accepting walk-ins if there is room in the session.

Personally, I hope appointments never go away. Attending the temple for me is a roughly 24-hour commitment, and in the past, it was difficult to know in advance if one would have access to a particular session or not. (I once waited two hours on a Saturday just to enter the temple, and more than once I've had to wait for a session because the one I've planned on filled up with people who arrived before me.) We always do two sessions on our visit, and it's ideal to be able to complete two back-to-back.

I was at the temple this past weekend. Our original plan was to do the 10:00am and midday sessions, but the 10:00 one was completely booked out. So instead we booked in for 9:00am and 11:00am. Perfect! No need to worry or wonder about getting into sessions or what times we could get in.

Further, knowing roughly what time we would finish at the temple meant we could make firm post-temple plans as well. I love it!

As long as there are not empty seats (people staying away because they think it will be booked out, but too many no shows), it seems logical they would keep both of the options.  It helps those with healths issues who need to be able not to have too long of a wait, helps those with kids who need babysitters or friends who can only watch for so long, who have to travel a distance and be back at a certain time that only allows a certain session or two while the walkins help balance out the no shows as well as fill the rest of the seats.

Edited by Calm
31 minutes ago, Calm said:

As long as there are not empty seats (people staying away because they think it will be booked out, but too many no shows), it seems logical they would keep both of the options.

We have been told that four seats in every session are reserved for walk-ins, and those seats can't be booked in advance. That means that when a session is full online, it actually has four unreserved seats, but again, there is zero way of knowing in advance if four other people will rock up to the temple first.

I just timed myself. It took me fewer than 90 seconds to look up the session times and availability for tomorrow. Booking a session would add another 90 seconds, maybe? I can't imagine why someone wouldn't just do that before leaving home even if the person lives just around the corner from the temple, but to each her/his own.

Edited by Hamba Tuhan