Seriously No Politics ×

Joseph Smith and His teaching about wayward children

First, here is the JS quote that I am speaking of--

The following quotation appears in Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, compiled by Joseph Fielding Smith during his service as Church historian and recorder: “When a seal is put upon the father and mother, it secures their posterity, so that they cannot be lost, but will be saved by virtue of the covenant of their father and mother.”

I know that we've discussed this topic in the past but I've been listening to the Follow Him podcast for this week (which is an Easter topic that focuses on Adam and Eve receiving the Atonement of Christ, as taught by Elder and sister Hafen) and one of the doctrines that was spoken in passing was how Adam and Eve were sealed by God as a married couple.  Another topic for the podcast was the sorrow of the whole Cain and Abel affair, and Eve (and Adam) essentially losing both sons in that one act, one through murder and the other through a curse for committing murder.

This got me thinking....  How does JS's teachings on wayward children work with Cain?  Is he saved by virtue of the covenant of Adam and Eve?

17 minutes ago, bluebell said:

This got me thinking....  How does JS's teachings on wayward children work with Cain?  Is he saved by virtue of the covenant of Adam and Eve?

What is meant by saved?  From the context of the quote I can't tell if it's talking about being saved in one of the kingdoms of glory or in the highest kingdom. 

Interesting question and maybe needs to be expanded a bit. Didn't he promise Helen Mar Kimball that all of her father's household and kindred would be saved and exaltation?

The next morning Joseph visited the Kimball home.  "[He explained] the principle of Celestial marrage...After which he said to me, ‘If you will take this step, it will ensure your eternal salvation & exaltation and that of your father’s household & all of your kindred.[‘] This promise was so great that I willingly gave myself to purchase so glorious a reward. None but God & his angels could see my mother’s bleeding heart-when Joseph asked her if she was willing...She had witnessed the sufferings of others, who were older & who better understood the step they were taking, & to see her child, who had scarcely seen her fifteenth summer, following in the same thorny path, in her mind she saw the misery which was as sure to come...; but it was all hidden from me.” 

http://www.wivesofjosephsmith.org/26-HelenMarKimball.htm

Talk by President Russell M. Nelson as an Apostle.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/general-conference/1995/04/children-of-the-covenant?lang=eng

Quote from talk: 

The new and everlasting covenant of the gospel allows us to qualify for marriage in the temple and be blessed to “come forth in the first resurrection” and “inherit thrones, kingdoms, principalities, and powers, dominions, … to [our] exaltation and glory in all things.”22

Children born to parents thus married are natural heirs to the blessings of the priesthood. They are born in the covenant. Hence, “they require no rite of adoption or sealing to insure them place in the posterity of promise.”

(What is referred to as Born in the Covenant)

Edited by Metis_LDS
addition
10 minutes ago, ksfisher said:

What is meant by saved?  From the context of the quote I can't tell if it's talking about being saved in one of the kingdoms of glory or in the highest kingdom. 

I don't believe that JS ever really clarified, though he probably had an idea of which one he was referring to.  Later prophets and apostles have clarified, but not always in ways that people who find great comfort from this teaching agree with.

16 minutes ago, 2BizE said:

In all the teachings I’ve heard con Joseph Smith jr, I do not recall any parenting advice.  Did he ever provide any such teachings regarding parenting and parenting of wayward children?

I'm not sure.  The Doctrine and covenants has teachings on parenting in it, and there is a chance that the prophet elaborated on those teachings at some point or another.  But I've never really looked.

13 minutes ago, CA Steve said:

Interesting question and maybe needs to be expanded a bit. Didn't he promise Helen Mar Kimball that all of her father's household and kindred would be saved and exaltation?

Even an adult might misremember details.  I see it as possible he promised her eternal salvation and exaltation and her family eternal salvation.  In essence, the reverse of what he promised faithful parents who were sealed, he was promising to faithful children who lived the covenant…which makes sense to me.

Edited by Calm
1 hour ago, Calm said:

Even an adult might misremember details.  I see it as possible he promised her eternal salvation and exaltation and her family eternal salvation.  In essence, the reverse of what he promised faithful parents who were sealed, he was promising to faithful children who lived the covenant…which makes sense to me.

There is also the chance that she simply misunderstood him.  It's very easy to get salvation and exaltation confused, especially because we have a habit of using or interpreting salvation interchangeably.  

We don't even know what JS meant by using 'salvation' in the quote above and are still trying to figure it out all these years later.  And we have a lot more experience with the gospel than a 13 year old girl would.

I'm not saying this was definitely the case.  Only that it is possible, and if it's what happened it wouldn't be a very unique or unreasonable mistake to have made.

2 hours ago, bluebell said:

I know that we've discussed this topic in the past but I've been listening to the Follow Him podcast for this week (which is an Easter topic that focuses on Adam and Eve receiving the Atonement of Christ, as taught by Elder and sister Hafen) and one of the doctrines that was spoken in passing was how Adam and Eve were sealed by God as a married couple.  Another topic for the podcast was the sorrow of the whole Cain and Abel affair, and Eve (and Adam) essentially losing both sons in that one act, one through murder and the other through a curse for committing murder.

Bednar addresses this in a 2014 ensign talk that talks specifically about this topic. Please read it,

Faithful Parents and Wayward Children

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/ensign/2014/03/faithful-parents-and-wayward-children-sustaining-hope-while-overcoming-misunderstanding?lang=eng

Edited by SwedishLDS

This is a tough one for me, because I believe (and take at their word) the teachings of the prophets on this (what Orson F. Whitney references when he says "Joseph Smith taught no more comforting doctrine . . ."). But, justice can't be robbed, and there is a strong sense of injustice if sealings "save" the wayward who have no interest or desire. 

Because I believe in progression between and within kingdoms, this is somewhat taken care of, because it leaves room for the sealing power to "search out" after the wayward, while also requiring them to "pay the uttermost farthing" and "suffer, even as" Jesus before that is realized. 

My code name in my raw notes for the Journal of Discourses index I put together for myself for this topic is my mother-in-law's name. She held firmly to this teaching, and when were married, my wife was in the minority of the eight children who were active in the Church or even on a trajectory to be active. Her mother stayed in an unhappy marriage because of firm faith in this teaching, and endured decades of unhappiness. After she passed away from cancer about ten years ago, all of her siblings who had strayed have come back --- often in miraculous ways. One, by one. I joked with her --- but it wasn't a joke, really. I believe that is actually a large part of what is behind this --- that her mother has been systematically working with her children from beyond the veil and "getting them back." I think there is great power and truth behind the promises, even while believing that people can't be saved against their will. 

In the coming years, I think more and more people are going to be clinging to these promises, as most families are being infected with apostasy and bad choices, despite many people's efforts to do everything they can to avert this. 

15 minutes ago, SwedishLDS said:

Bednar addresses this in a 2014 ensign talk that talks specifically about this topic. Please read it,

Faithful Parents and Wayward Children

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/ensign/2014/03/faithful-parents-and-wayward-children-sustaining-hope-while-overcoming-misunderstanding?lang=eng

I have.  Specifically this part-

The influence of parents who honor covenants and obey commandments indeed can have a decisive spiritual impact upon children who stray by activating the tentacles of divine Providence—in ways that have not been revealed fully and are not understood completely. However, righteous parental influence (1) does not replace in the life of an individual the need for the redeeming and strengthening power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ, (2) does not overrule the consequences of the unrighteous exercise of moral agency, and (3) does not negate the responsibility of an individual as an agent “to act … and not to be acted upon” (2 Nephi 2:26).

I'm grateful for these further interpretations of JS's statement.  Pres. Faust has a really good one that I can put up later. 

But I don't know that these interpretations work with what JS said.  I believe they are the more correct way to look at the topic, but for those who disagree with them, (who believe that JS was teaching that such children will be exalted or something similar), how do they square JS's teaching with someone like Cain?

1 hour ago, bluebell said:

I have.  Specifically this part-

I'm grateful for these further interpretations of JS's statement.  Pres. Faust has a really good one that I can put up later. 

ah apologies, I did not know.

1 hour ago, bluebell said:

But I don't know that these interpretations work with what JS said.  I believe they are the more correct way to look at the topic,

I would tend to agree, guaranteed salvation regardless of actions would seem against everything I know of unforgivable sins and the sons of perditions of which Cain is known to be one. 

Have you seen this collection that has a bunch of prophets and apostles quotes on this topic?: https://womensconference.byu.edu/sites/womensconference.ce.byu.edu/files/larry_barkdull.pdf

Joseph Smith When a seal is put upon the father and mother, it secures their posterity, so that they cannot be lost, but will be saved by virtue of the covenant of their father and mother.i

David A. Bednar clarified: “Joseph Smith is shown to have qualified his statement to make the promised blessings conditional upon the obedience of the children: ‘When a father and mother of a family have [been sealed]. Their children who have not transgressed are secured by the seal….’ii This clarification is more consistent doctrinally…the concept of unconditional salvation for disobedient children would contradict many foundational teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith…. [Church leaders] agree on the fact that parents who honor temple covenants are in a position to exert great spiritual influence over time on their children. Faithful members of the Church can find comfort in knowing that they can lay claim to the promises of divine guidance and power, through the inspiration of the Holy Ghost and the privileges of the priesthood, in their efforts to help family members receive blessings of salvation and exaltation.”iii

Joseph Smith There is never a time when the spirit is too old to approach God. All are within the reach of pardoning mercy.iv Our Heavenly Father is more liberal in His views, and boundless in his mercies and blessings, than we are ready to believe or receive.v

Brigham Young Let the father and mother, who are members of this Church and Kingdom, take a righteous course, and strive with all their might never to do a wrong, but to do good all their lives; if they have one child or one hundred children, if they conduct themselves towards them as they should, binding them to the Lord by their faith and prayers, I care not where those children go, they are bound up to their parents by an everlasting tie, and no power of earth or hell can separate them from their parents in eternity; they will return again to the fountain from whence they sprang.vi

Wilford Woodruff I tell you when the prophets and apostles go to preach to those who are shut up in prison . . . thousands of them will there embrace the gospel. They know more in that world than they do here.vii

Lorenzo Snow When the gospel is preached to the spirits in prison, the success attending that preaching will be far greater than that attending the preaching of our elders in this life. I believe there will be very few indeed of those spirits who will not gladly receive the gospel when it is carried to them. The circumstances there will be a thousand times more favorable.viii God has fulfilled His promises to us, and our prospects are grand and glorious. Yes, in the next life we will have our wives, and our sons and daughters. If we do not get them all at once, we will have them some time. . . . You that are mourning about your children straying away will have your sons and your daughters. If you succeed in passing through these trials and afflictions . . . you will, by the power of the Priesthood, work and labor, as the Son of God has, until you get all your sons and daughters in the path of exaltation and glory. This is just as sure as that the sun rose this morning over yonder mountains. Therefore, mourn not because all your sons and daughters do not follow in the path that you have marked out to them, or give heed to your counsels. Inasmuch as we succeed in securing eternal glory, and stand as saviors, and as kings and priests to our God, we will save our posterity.ix

Joseph F. Smith We will not finish our work until we have saved ourselves, and then not until we shall have saved all depending upon us; for we are to become saviors upon Mount Zion, as well as Christ. We are called to this mission.x

Orson F. Whitney You parents of the wilful and the wayward! Don’t give them up. Don’t cast them off. They are not utterly lost. The Shepherd will find his sheep. They were his before they were yours—long before he entrusted them to your care; and you cannot begin to love them as he loves them. They have but strayed in ignorance from the Path of Right, and God is merciful to ignorance. Only the fulness of knowledge brings the fulness of accountability. Our Heavenly Father is far more merciful, infinitely more charitable, than even the best of his servants, and the Everlasting Gospel is mightier in power to save than our narrow finite minds can comprehend.xi The Prophet Joseph Smith declared—and he never taught more comforting doctrine—that the eternal sealings of faithful parents and the divine promises made to them for valiant service in the Cause of Truth, would save not only themselves, but likewise their posterity. Though some of the sheep may wander, the eye of the Shepherd is upon them, and sooner or later they will feel the tentacles of Divine Providence reaching out after them and drawing them back to the fold. Either in this life or the life to come, they will return. They will have to pay their debt to justice; they will suffer for their sins; and may tread a thorny path; but if it leads them at last, like the penitent Prodigal, to a loving and forgiving father’s heart and home, the painful experience will not have been in vain. Pray for your careless and disobedient children; hold on to them with your faith. Hope on, trust on, till you see the salvation of God.xii

James E. Faust I believe and accept the comforting statement of Elder Orson F. Whitney. . . . A principle in this statement that is often overlooked is that they must fully repent and “suffer for their sins” and “pay their debt to justice.” . . . “And after they have paid the penalty of their transgressions, and are washed clean, shall receive a reward according to their works, for they are heirs of salvation.” . . . Mercy will not rob justice, and the sealing power of faithful parents will only claim wayward children upon the condition of their repentance and Christ’s Atonement. Repentant wayward children will enjoy salvation and all the blessings that go with it, but exaltation is much more. It must be fully earned. The question as to who will be exalted must be left to the Lord in His mercy.xiii

James E. Talmage Alonzo A. Hinckley quoted Elder James E. Talmage: “I promise the Saints…of Zion that if their lives are such that they can look their sons and daughters in the face, and if any of them have gone astray, that the parents are able to say, ‘It is contrary to my instruction and my life’s example; it is against every effort of love, long suffering, faith, prayer and devotion that that boy or girl has gone,’—I promise you, fathers and mothers, that not one of them shall be lost unless they have sinned away the power to repent”.xiv

Gordon B. Hinckley I leave my blessing upon you. May there be . . . a sense of security and peace and love among your children, precious children every one of them, even those who may have strayed. I hope you don’t lose patience with them; I hope you go on praying for them, and I don’t hesitate to promise that if you do, the Lord will touch their hearts and bring them back to you with love and respect and appreciation.xv

Edited by SwedishLDS
3 hours ago, bluebell said:

I think that yes, Cain is saved to the degree he accepts the Lord's atonement for his sins. I think Moses 5:23-24 is interesting in that it seems to me to primarily pertain to Cain's mortal life and not resurrected kingdom of glory, though it could also be the latter (I don't know how it turns out). Cain was before the world (pre-mortal), came into the world to be tested, and since he did not well, he was delivered up to Satan and called Perdition. That remained the case until if and when he repents, here or in the spirit world.

All of us are or will be sealed to Christ by covenant through our generations back to Adam and Eve, who will turn their stewardship back to Christ. The covenant of the mothers and fathers include God or Christ. I believe that Adam and Eve kept this covenant through grace, so everyone born into mortality will be saved (resurrected, accounted for). If a couple fails to keep their covenant or seal, the posterity who wishes to keep it can claim it through another progenitor; conversely, unrepentant descendants who do not keep theirs will still be saved (individually and alone), but not lost to their parents. God will always know where Cain is, but an unrepentant Cain will not know where God is.

1 hour ago, SwedishLDS said:

ah apologies, I did not know.

I would tend to agree, guaranteed salvation regardless of actions would seem against everything I know of unforgivable sins and the sons of perditions of which Cain is known to be one. 

Have you seen this collection that has a bunch of prophets and apostles quotes on this topic?: https://womensconference.byu.edu/sites/womensconference.ce.byu.edu/files/larry_barkdull.pdf

Thank you for those further quotes.  Awesome.

Here is one more from Pres. Faust--

“We remember that the prodigal son wasted his inheritance, and when it was all gone he came back to his father’s house. There he was welcomed back into the family, but his inheritance was spent. [See Luke 15:11–32.] Mercy will not rob justice, and the sealing power of faithful parents will only claim wayward children upon the condition of their repentance and Christ’s Atonement. Repentant wayward children will enjoy salvation and all the blessings that go with it, but exaltation is much more. It must be fully earned. The question as to who will be exalted must be left to the Lord in His mercy. ”

James E. Faust, “Dear Are the Sheep That Have Wandered,” Ensign, May 2003, 62.

Edited by bluebell

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/general-conference/1992/04/our-moral-environment?lang=eng

The measure of our success as parents, however, will not rest solely on how our children turn out. That judgment would be just only if we could raise our families in a perfectly moral environment, and that now is not possible.

It is not uncommon for responsible parents to lose one of their children, for a time, to influences over which they have no control. They agonize over rebellious sons or daughters. They are puzzled over why they are so helpless when they have tried so hard to do what they should.

It is my conviction that those wicked influences one day will be overruled.

“The Prophet Joseph Smith declared—and he never taught a more comforting doctrine—that the eternal sealings of faithful parents and the divine promises made to them for valiant service in the Cause of Truth, would save not only themselves, but likewise their posterity. Though some of the sheep may wander, the eye of the Shepherd is upon them, and sooner or later they will feel the tentacles of Divine Providence reaching out after them and drawing them back to the fold. Either in this life or the life to come, they will return. They will have to pay their debt to justice; they will suffer for their sins; and may tread a thorny path; but if it leads them at last, like the penitent Prodigal, to a loving and forgiving father’s heart and home, the painful experience will not have been in vain. Pray for your careless and disobedient children; hold on to them with your faith. Hope on, trust on, till you see the salvation of God.” (Orson F. Whitney, in Conference Report, Apr. 1929, p. 110.)

We cannot overemphasize the value of temple marriage, the binding ties of the sealing ordinance, and the standards of worthiness required of them. When parents keep the covenants they have made at the altar of the temple, their children will be forever bound to them. President Brigham Young said:

“Let the father and mother, who are members of this Church and Kingdom, take a righteous course, and strive with all their might never to do a wrong, but to do good all their lives; if they have one child or one hundred children, if they conduct themselves towards them as they should, binding them to the Lord by their faith and prayers, I care not where those children go, they are bound up to their parents by an everlasting tie, and no power of earth or hell can separate them from their parents in eternity; they will return again to the fountain from whence they sprang.” (Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, comp. Bruce R. McConkie, 3 vols., 2:90–91.)

Unfortunately, Elder Bednar cannot overrule a succession of promises with one conference talk. 

5 hours ago, CA Steve said:

A website with undocumented quotes filled with elipses isn't a reliable source. This site is a horrible offender and shouldn't be trusted even if it does get a quote right....use valid sources.

50 minutes ago, juliann said:

A website with undocumented quotes filled with elipses isn't a reliable source. This site is a horrible offender and shouldn't be trusted even if it does get a quote right....use valid sources.

That website is the very one I stumbled on, never to be the same again. 

7 minutes ago, bluebell said:

But do the promises work with our doctrine?

According to the promises, sons of perdition won’t exist. 

Brigham Young, who is the source for some of the promises, believed that sons of perdition have their intelligence stripped from their spirit matter, and start all over again. So, it worked within our doctrine as he understood it. 

I see it as akin to the Second Anointing. Neither are absolute --- people can't be saved against their will, and they can't be saved when they're still evil, regardless of what ordinances have been performed. But, the teachings offer a tremendous amount of hope --- especially through the lens of "eternal" eternal progression (progression between kingdoms and within kingdoms). 

8 minutes ago, rongo said:

Brigham Young, who is the source for some of the promises, believed that sons of perdition have their intelligence stripped from their spirit matter, and start all over again. So, it worked within our doctrine as he understood it. 

I see it as akin to the Second Anointing. Neither are absolute --- people can't be saved against their will, and they can't be saved when they're still evil, regardless of what ordinances have been performed. But, the teachings offer a tremendous amount of hope --- especially through the lens of "eternal" eternal progression (progression between kingdoms and within kingdoms). 

Brigham Young certainly had some interesting ideas. 

34 minutes ago, bluebell said:

But do the promises work with our doctrine?

According to the promises, sons of perdition won’t exist. 

I think they will exist, because there are always exceptions. From D&C 76:

40 And this is the agospel, the glad btidings, which the voice out of the heavens bore record unto us—

41 That he acame into the world, even Jesus, to be bcrucified for the world, and to cbear the sins of the dworld, and to esanctify the world, and to fcleanse it from all unrighteousness;

42 That through him all might be asaved whom the Father had put into his bpower and made by him;

43 Who aglorifies the Father, and saves all the works of his hands, except those sons of bperdition who deny the Son after the Father has revealed him.

44 Wherefore, he saves all aexcept them—they shall go away into beverlasting cpunishment, which is endless punishment, which is eternal punishment, to dreign with the edevil and his angels in eternity, where their fworm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched, which is their torment—

45 And the aend thereof, neither the place thereof, nor their torment, no man knows;

46 Neither was it revealed, neither is, neither will be revealed unto man, except to them who are made partakers thereof;

47 Nevertheless, I, the Lord, show it by avision unto many, but straightway shut it up again;

48 Wherefore, the end, the width, the height, the adepth, and the misery thereof, they understand not, neither any man except those who are bordained unto this ccondemnation.

Also, https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/scriptures/gs/sons-of-perdition?lang=eng indicates that sons of perdition will be saved physically but not spiritually. This allows the covenant-keeping parents to see their "children of perdition" to the extent either is willing to undertake that sorrowful visit. But then again, if a son of perdition is such an exception as D&C 76 indicates, perhaps the parents want nothing to do with them and vice-versa. I'm sure God has a sorrowful relationship (to the extent any relationship remains) with Satan and the third part. Much of that has to do with the rebellious spirits; probably more.

Edited by CV75