Seriously No Politics ×

Wow, no conference discussion or live blog.

3 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

Is that a sign this board is dying?  😥

I think that it is a sign of tiredness. So much going in this world that people are just to tied up with covid, a war, and the state of the country, if referring to the US. Drained emotionally may be the reason.

Conference has become pretty boring, from a discussion board fodder standpoint. I think that's the main reason --- good thoughts this morning, but what was there that makes for good discussion board material? I expect more of the same today and tomorrow.

It did seem like there is concern about low missionary numbers. I expected "Covid missionary work" to put a damper on enthusiasm for missions, and I think that has borne out. The England MTC has about 50 at a time, Provo has, what, a couple hundred? How many does Mexico have? There doesn't seem to be as many in the pipeline going out.

My daughter went an extra semester for the restrictions to hopefully be gone, and it looks like she might have timed it just right. 

It was really great to see talks on missionary works and staying strong in the world regardless of what the big and wide buildings teach

34 minutes ago, rongo said:

Conference has become pretty boring, from a discussion board fodder standpoint. I think that's the main reason --- good thoughts this morning, but what was there that makes for good discussion board material? I expect more of the same today and tomorrow.

It did seem like there is concern about low missionary numbers. I expected "Covid missionary work" to put a damper on enthusiasm for missions, and I think that has borne out. The England MTC has about 50 at a time, Provo has, what, a couple hundred? How many does Mexico have? There doesn't seem to be as many in the pipeline going out.

My daughter went an extra semester for the restrictions to hopefully be gone, and it looks like she might have timed it just right. 

The Mexico MTC can accommodate over 1000 missionaries. I’m not sure if they are are full capacity right now. 

Edited by bluebell
36 minutes ago, rongo said:

The England MTC has about 50 at a time, Provo has, what, a couple hundred? How many does Mexico have? There doesn't seem to be as many in the pipeline going out.My My daughter went an extra semester for the restrictions to hopefully be gone, and it looks like she might have timed it just right. 

My nephew received a call this week and is expected to do a week of home MTC before going into the physical MTC.  My brother was telling me that there is some new info that shows that the missionaries who do at least a week of home MTC are 70% less likely to go home during the physical MTC experience (don't ask me for a reference, I'm not sure where he heard it, but he is serving as a bishop, so I'm guessing he's heard it through those channels).  He expects it will become the norm.  I wonder how much this affects the numbers in the MTCs? 

I have a kid who has been waiting for the COVID restrictions to lift and just feeling like it's not time yet to go.  I'm interested to see if this morning's session changed anything about that.  

40 minutes ago, Calm said:

It is a sign you don’t visit social hall much

True.

19 minutes ago, Ginger Snaps said:

My nephew received a call this week and is expected to do a week of home MTC before going into the physical MTC.  My brother was telling me that there is some new info that shows that the missionaries who do at least a week of home MTC are 70% less likely to go home during the physical MTC experience (don't ask me for a reference, I'm not sure where he heard it, but he is serving as a bishop, so I'm guessing he's heard it through those channels).  He expects it will become the norm.  I wonder how much this affects the numbers in the MTCs? 

I have a kid who has been waiting for the COVID restrictions to lift and just feeling like it's not time yet to go.  I'm interested to see if this morning's session changed anything about that.  

I think the flexibility of hybrid MTC experiences is one of the beneficial side effects of our COVID-19 convulsions. My traditional MTC experience was one of the most difficult parts of my mission and I would not have minded a hybrid MTC experience. 

Then again, I powered through other difficult times by telling myself that "I made it through the MTC, I can own this," so I might have lost something without it.

I was also very much heartened by President Nelson's acclamation of both proselyting and service missions.

Edited by OGHoosier
1 hour ago, bluebell said:

The Mexico MTC can accommodate over 1000 missionaries. I’m not sure if they are are full capacity right now. 

How many were there with your son? I'm sure the England MTC has more capacity than 50, but that's about how many were there with her. Your son's already in Tennessee, right?

The Provo MTC was expanded to hold more than 5000, wasn't it? And how many are there now?

1 hour ago, Ginger Snaps said:

I've heard that home MTC strongly reduces missionaries quitting from the MTC, but I have no idea how many went home from the MTC to begin with. It can't affect the MTC numbers, because all cohorts start with a couple of weeks of home, so the numbers would stabilize as cohorts cycle in and out (always some starting at home, then at the MTC, then leaving as others arrive). 

I definitely think that waiting until it feels like the right time is a good thing. Our kids have really benefited from a year (or more) of college away from home. 

1 hour ago, OGHoosier said:

I think the flexibility of hybrid MTC experiences is one of the beneficial side effects of our COVID-19 convulsions. My traditional MTC experience was one of the most difficult parts of my mission and I would not have minded a hybrid MTC experience. 

Then again, I powered through other difficult times by telling myself that "I made it through the MTC, I can own this," so I might have lost something without it.

What didn't you like about the MTC? I enjoyed it (mid 90s), but the field was infinity times better. 

My daughter loved England. A very tight-knit group. 

3 hours ago, Avatar4321 said:

Have the 2021 stats dropped yet?

1 hour ago, boblloyd91 said:

I was wondering this as well 

I don’t think they read that in conference anymore, just post it online. 

Added later: Did you mean has it been posted online yet?

Edited by Scott Lloyd
2 hours ago, rongo said:

Elder Neil Anderson’s talk on standing for what’s right while avoiding hatefulness and contention offered plenty of fodder. I just don’t have it in me to start a thread on it and deal with the contention that might follow. 

2 hours ago, rongo said:

Interesting observations. The low Provo MTC numbers are shocking.

2 hours ago, rongo said:

Elder Holland used this in his talk from a kid
boring.jpg.b111e85ac30f96c59134fd301df3a0ff.jpg

55 minutes ago, rongo said:

How many were there with your son? I'm sure the England MTC has more capacity than 50, but that's about how many were there with her. Your son's already in Tennessee, right?

The Provo MTC was expanded to hold more than 5000, wasn't it? And how many are there now?

He’s still at the MTC. I’m not sure how many are there. I’ll have to ask him. In all the pictures and in his video calls, there are always a lot of missionaries in the distant background. 

39 minutes ago, Teancum said:

Interesting observations. The low Provo MTC numbers are shocking.

There are now 10 MTC training centers throughout the world.  It looks like they are all accepting missionaries right now except for New Zealand.  It would be interesting to know how many missionaries these new training center are pulling from the pool that in years gone by would have all gone to the provo MTC.

My son was called to Tennessee but is currently at the Mexico MTC.  I

1 hour ago, rongo said:

The Provo MTC website says that it has a 3,700 capacity.  It doesn't say how many are there now.