Seriously No Politics ×

Dehlin v. Kwaku - An Update

14 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

Kwaku has this part exactly right:

A few years ago, one of my former housemates and I went camping. I could tell that something was off from the beginning. He was both less fun and less interesting. But it was only on the drive back home that he let me know that he'd left the Church. Then he pulled that offensively patronising 'I won't tell you what I've discovered because then you would leave the Church too' schtick. I called out the arrogance inherent in that statement and assured him that there was close-to-zero possibility that he knew anything I didn't already know. But he had to stick by the narrative that his deconversion hadn't been a choice in any way and that I would inevitably follow him into apostasy if he didn't mercifully leave me in my state of blissful ignorance. :rolleyes:

Wow, I have heard the same from many others, it seems to be like almost everyone commits that narrative to heart, much like a requirement to pass through a different vail. This to use it on the unsuspecting, member who still has a testimony, and who loves the Gospel. I had a friend, what I thought was a very good friend. One day after rehearsing this same reasoning to me, he asked me to please watch a video with him. He was certain that it would shake my testimony to the core, and that I would follow him into apostasy. His dear wife said to me, “Bill, you don’t need to watch that video, I watched part of it and I hate it”. Anyway, thinking our friendship could handle any disagreement, I watched anyway. When I began to question it, and point out misrepresentations of our beliefs, his countenance changed before me very eyes. He tried to hide it, but I could see the anger bubbling up inside him. The two of us used to barter work, and I always made sure he was more rewarded in that barter system. Within two weeks, he had gone to my Bishop, telling him that I owed him money, and would not pay it, and I was “unfit to be a Priesthood holder, or serve in the Church”. After my Bishop told me, I called him and told him “I will pay you whatever you think I should”, but he never gave me an amount, nor would he accept any check I sent. Upon his death, we visited his wife who was distraught at the man he had become in the last two years of his life. She told us that his hatred for the Church, had made his so bitter. We were friends with his wife until her death. It was all heartbreaking 💔 

Edited by Bill “Papa” Lee
47 minutes ago, bluebell said:

I didn't know that Dehlin started Thrive.  

Also, I think that despite what some people believe--especially some people who used to be members but are now antagonistic towards the church--a lot of negative character traits or personality traits that are often blamed on mormonism are actually just weaknesses of character in the individual, and I think that we see this with Dehlin a bit.

He has been accused of some of the same stuff that he likes to go after the church for (racism, misogyny, etc.).  At this point it might be helpful to recognize that some people are just jerks in certain ways.  The church didn't make them that way, and they don't stop being that way when they leave.  

Well said, very well said. 

18 minutes ago, smac97 said:

By way of clarification, that is a quotation, it is not my words.

Kwaku is not particularly gentle at times.  :) 

What is the significance of Cottonwood Heights?  I am guessing upper middle class primarily white neighborhood?  Any chance it is gated?

From wiki:

The racial makeup of the county was 86.57% non-Hispanic White, 0.81% Black, 0.60% Native American, 4.51% Asian, 0.88% Pacific Islander, and 2.34% from two or more races. 4.29% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.

I really want to know why Post Malone is currently living there.

Added:  real estate is high end not just for .Utah, but for the US.

Edited by Calm
29 minutes ago, Calm said:

What is the significance of Cottonwood Heights?  I am guessing upper middle class primarily white neighborhood?  Any chance it is gated?

From wiki:

Added:  real estate is high end not just for .Utah, but for the US.

Post Malone also has a house in Morgan. 

3 hours ago, smac97 said:

I know that there are lots of reasons why people believe, why they have faith.  There are intellectual reasons, there are social reasons, there are emotional reasons, psychological reasons, lots of reasons.  So, full stop.

That quote from John Dehlin admits that there are a range of reasons why people adopt the LDS faith.  The reverse is also true, even though I get many denials of the fact on this board -- people unwilling to admit that there is a wide variety of reasons why LDS members might leave the faith.

Edited by Robert F. Smith
11 hours ago, Calm said:

From wiki:

He likes guns.  And he's a prepper. He's building a bunker.  And Utah is pretty.  And it's not SoCal. 

From this article:

A 2018 resurfaced clip of Post Malone — in which he referenced the United States government as “the biggest lie in the world” and urged people to “move out to the country” — is making its way around TikTok.

In the clip, which has amassed over 2 million views, the “Hollywood’s Bleeding” artist discussed the need to escape from cities in order to protect oneself from the government.

Around that time, the now-26-year-old singer did just that — he purchased a five-bedroom, seven-bathroom Utah abode for $3,093,750 under the LLC “Wow Cool House,” property records show.

Located in Salt Lake City, the residence spans almost 13,000 square feet and is situated on nearly 7 acres of land. 

“Move somewhere, because whenever martial law is declared … whenever your credit cards fail, whenever your banks fail … you have three days to get out of where you are because that’s when they’re coming for you,” said Malone, born Austin Post, in the February 2018 interview with Montreality. “That’s the big move. That’s checkmate right there. And they think they have you.”

He then encouraged people to make a move themselves and “get your scraps. Stand up for yourself. Build a tower. Build a long road where you can see them coming. Don’t give up, America.”

In a separate 2017 interview featured on the H3 Podcast — as Malone was in contract to buy the Utah residence — he revealed he would turn the home into an apocalypse-proof shelter and build underground quarters. 

“I’m going to put in, like, 30 bunk beds,” said Malone. “It’s free country out there. Like, you can buy suppressors in Utah. You can do open-carry. Walk into the grocery store with a handgun on your hip. Cowboy s–t. I can’t wait.”

Initially built in 1986, Malone’s home boasts canyon, mountain and city views and is located at the mouth of Cottonwood Canyon. 

Features include floor-to-ceiling windows, separate guest quarters and a private office, which backs into thousands of acres of conservation land, the previous listing notes. 

The expansive living room features a bar, and the gourmet chef’s kitchen comes with state-of-the-art appliances leading to a family room with an informal dining area.

Amenities include a wine cellar, a fitness room, an outdoor fireplace, basketball court, a pool and a hot tub with an outdoor kitchen.

In the recently resurfaced 2018 interview, the rapper called out “the f–king US government” as the “biggest lie,” adding it is it “not what it used to be.”

“It used to be so sick, and about the people, and about freedom, and all that s–t,” he added. “But now it’s just bulls–t. Now it’s a f–king reality show.”

Malone also vaguely predicted that there would be a lot of “weird s–t that happens within our lifetime” on the podcast. 

“It’s going to be fun until the world ends,” he continued. “But whenever the world ends, it’s going to be functional.”

I have made emergency preparedness a hobby, but the end-of-the-world alarmism is pretty offputting.

Thanks,

-Smac

Edited by smac97

I think the fact that this is the second post recently about John Dehlin shows that say what you want, John's popularity is growing.  The test will be time.  Does anyone even really hear much anymore about Denver Snuffer, Kate Kelly?  They are still out there but seem to be followed only by their ardent believers.  In 5 years, will we even care about John Dehlin.  John can go after the Church but the modern Church has been around for almost 200 years and isn't going to disappear.  The Church has something people continue to want.  Does John Dehlin have something people will continue to want?  Only time can answer that question. 

3 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

... A few years ago, one of my former housemates and I went camping. I could tell that something was off from the beginning. He was both less fun and less interesting. But it was only on the drive back home that he let me know that he'd left the Church. Then he pulled that offensively patronising 'I won't tell you what I've discovered because then you would leave the Church too' schtick. I called out the arrogance inherent in that statement and assured him that there was close-to-zero possibility that he knew anything I didn't already know. But he had to stick by the narrative that his deconversion hadn't been a choice in any way and that I would inevitably follow him into apostasy if he didn't mercifully leave me in my state of blissful ignorance. :rolleyes:

Poor, poor you! :(  If only you knew! :huh: :unsure: :unknw:

10 hours ago, Calm said:

9 hours ago, smac97 said:
10 hours ago, Calm said:

From wiki:

He likes guns.  And he's a prepper. He's building a bunker.  And Utah is pretty.  And it's not SoCal. 

He also has a home here in St George.

Edited by latterdaytemplar
11 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

Kwaku has this part exactly right:

How many times on this forum have we been told that certain 'facts' compel one to conclude, for example, that the Church isn't what it claims to be or get schooled on supposedly 'true history' (my favourite, as one who holds a PhD in history!).

How many times have we heard on this forum that those who make a determination the church is not what it claims focus on the negative, are reactive, had false expectations or took things too literally.

I've certainly encountered religious dogmatism, but there is nothing to compare to the 'enlightened' dogmatism of many apostate Saints.

We all see the world through our own lens i guess but I sure see a lot of unhealthy dogmatism from some here as well as over the top piety.

A few years ago, one of my former housemates and I went camping. I could tell that something was off from the beginning. He was both less fun and less interesting. But it was only on the drive back home that he let me know that he'd left the Church. Then he pulled that offensively patronising 'I won't tell you what I've discovered because then you would leave the Church too' schtick. I called out the arrogance inherent in that statement and assured him that there was close-to-zero possibility that he knew anything I didn't already know. But he had to stick by the narrative that his deconversion hadn't been a choice in any way and that I would inevitably follow him into apostasy if he didn't mercifully leave me in my state of blissful ignorance. :rolleyes:

Maybe when you call someone arrogant you might want to self reflect on your comments above.

13 hours ago, smac97 said:

I took everyone’s advice. I called 911 and reported the following people:

Kwaku El
Cardon Ellis
Braden Herrmann

It might be worth noting as well that StoneXVI published a video where one of the hosts called the Salt Lake City police department to request a transcript or recording of the supposed 911 report; the employee on the other end of the phone call stated that she could not find record of any such report.

11 hours ago, bluebell said:

I didn't know that Dehlin started Thrive.  

He didn't. At least on his own. He has worked with a couple of well off $$ wise disaffected members that are bankrolling Thrive.  Dehlin is on the board but I do not think he started it.

Also, I think that despite what some people believe--especially some people who used to be members but are now antagonistic towards the church--a lot of negative character traits or personality traits that are often blamed on mormonism are actually just weaknesses of character in the individual, and I think that we see this with Dehlin a bit.

Everyone has issues and baggage.  

He has been accused of some of the same stuff that he likes to go after the church for (racism, misogyny, etc.).  At this point it might be helpful to recognize that some people are just jerks in certain ways.  The church didn't make them that way, and they don't stop being that way when they leave.  

Often accused unjustly.  And the true believers here just eat it up.

10 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

That quote from John Dehlin admits that there are a range of reasons why people adopt the LDS faith.  The reverse is also true, even though I get many denials of the fact on this board -- people unwilling to admit that there is a wide variety of reasons why LDS members might leave the faith.

I admit there is a wide variety of reasons why people leave the church. I just tire of so many who think that the numbers who were very devout and leave over the truth claims and historical problems is very small.

9 hours ago, kimpearson said:

I think the fact that this is the second post recently about John Dehlin shows that say what you want, John's popularity is growing.  The test will be time.  Does anyone even really hear much anymore about Denver Snuffer, Kate Kelly?  They are still out there but seem to be followed only by their ardent believers.  In 5 years, will we even care about John Dehlin.  John can go after the Church but the modern Church has been around for almost 200 years and isn't going to disappear.  The Church has something people continue to want.  Does John Dehlin have something people will continue to want?  Only time can answer that question. 

I definitely think we're seeing some major societal changes in regards to how people see spiritual truth claims, which is why we're hearing a lot more about people leaving the church. Like you said though, there are certain things that the church provides that aren't easily replicated (what those are depends on the person's interpretation). I will also be interested to see how things evolve over the years

1 hour ago, latterdaytemplar said:

He also has a home here in St George.

Are you sure that isn’t a rumor?  Unless I am misreading a realtor listing the house is still for sale.

https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/archive/2020/09/18/hsr-spc-realtor-for-unique-washington-city-listing-says-it-could-be-future-home-of-a-celebrity-but-not-post-malone/#.Yh4vXy1Hbi0

Can’t find a confirmation he actually owns a home in Morgan as opposed to being a visitor (and likely renting).

https://www.deseret.com/2018/9/24/20654237/post-malone-visits-utah-while-on-vacation-morgan-county-asked-people-to-stop-bothering-him

Pretty sure this refers to the Cottonwood one, but may be wrong though and he had one in Morgan as well while he built the other.

he bought a home in northern Utah that cost about $3 million

https://www.fox13now.com/2018/09/21/morgan-county-officials-ask-residents-to-stop-bothering-rapper-post-malone-who-is-visiting-the-county-on-vacation/  This says “residence he was staying at”.

Edited by Calm
2 minutes ago, Calm said:

Post Malone is easily recognized, and at least in my area, is loved. On a FB group I belong to "You Know You're From Bountiful If..." they have posts joking around that Post Malone was in certain restaurants or sightings of him. He likes to eat at certain ones, but made up ones too, haha. 

14 hours ago, smac97 said:

A few observiations and questions:

1. I am glad that Dehlin apologized, and that Kwaku ha and s accepted Dehlin's apology.

Yes that was decent of them both.  However, the Kwaku video was frankly despicable. And I do not blame Dehlin for getting the police involved. Dehlin is a public figure and is controversial.  He has had threats, he has had his care keyes, etc. So yea I can see him being nervous and scared. And that fact that when Kwaku made the video it was associated with FAIR, quite frankly is appalling to me, and surprising.

2. I am a bit surprised to see Dehlin being, shall we say, circuitous in his apology.  He didn't post the apology on the Mormon Stories Podcast channel, where it would have received far more views and attention.  He instead created a separate channel, apparently for the sole purpose of posting his apology video.  It's also kind of hard to not infer that he did so because he did not want to draw attention to his prior remarks.  He has deleted the video of his remarks.  As the Midnight Mormons guys put it: "I don't believe that you can actually, honestly be sincere about your apology if you are doing your apology on a channel that only has 144 subscribers, and when the attack was made on a channel that had 55 thousand subscribers.  I think that's disingenuous."

I recall when this happened and the follow up apology. I am pretty sure I heard Dehlin talk about it and apologize on a MS podcast, but I could be wrong. But I am not a YouTube user much so I would be surprised if I hears it there.

3. The "Midnight Mormons" video is, in the main, surprisingly good.  They compare Dehlin's apology with Brad Wilcox's (too long and too scattered to excerpt, but the whole video is only 26 minutes long).  

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

-Smac

Wait they Midnight Mormon children just did a video on this to compare it to Wilcox's apology?  Seems like they are digging up old news.  Didn't this issue happen over a year or two ago?