Seriously No Politics ×

Brad Wilcox fireside to Alpine youth on Feb 6.

2 hours ago, Teancum said:

Have fun with your (unrighteous)  judgment.

I assumed teddy was being sarcastic.  Are you assuming he is serious?

Maybe teddy can clarify if so.  If not, if you read him as sarcastic or something else besides serious, can you explain your post?

9 minutes ago, Calm said:

Maybe teddy can clarify if so.  If not, if you read him as sarcastic or something else besides serious, can you explain your post?

I assumed he was being sarcastic as well.  And it sounds like Teancum misunderstood if he is.  But maybe we are the ones who have Teddy wrong.  :pardon: 

25 minutes ago, Calm said:

Teddy has a long history of sanctimonious pontification.

I assumed he was serious.

8 minutes ago, CA Steve said:

Teddy has a long history of sanctimonious pontification.

I assumed he was serious.

I probably shouldn’t because I am not sure if this qualifies as too personal (it is about his behaviour rather than his nature, still…), but I don’t disagree, except this time I thought it directed against Broccoli.  I thought for once I could agree with teddy, :) .

23 minutes ago, Calm said:

Based on his posting record I read it as totally serious. So no I did not read it as sarcastic.  But he can correct me and if it was meant that way I will retract my comment/post.

6 minutes ago, Teancum said:

Based on his posting record I read it as totally serious. So no I did not read it as sarcastic.  But he can correct me and if it was meant that way I will retract my comment/post.

I’m surmising that being in a constant state of anger and negativity has robbed you of the ability to discern when someone is employing sardonic humor in order to condemn someone who’s obviously mired in self righteousness. 

4 hours ago, teddyaware said:

I’m surmising that being in a constant state of anger and negativity has robbed you of the ability to discern when someone is employing sardonic humor in order to condemn someone who’s obviously mired in self righteousness. 

There’s plenty of virtue-signaling all around. I think someone finding out their friend is a child molester is an appropriate reason to vent. 

31 minutes ago, katherine the great said:

There’s plenty of virtue-signaling all around. I think someone finding out their friend is a child molester is an appropriate reason to vent. 

Kind of weird though doing it in a random thread on a random board…unless they are using a sock puppet, that is their only post which they joined the board to post and this thread doesn’t mention Kimball…we had one, but perhaps it got locked.

And it has been 18 months since his death.

Edited by Calm
1 hour ago, Calm said:

Kind of weird though doing it in a random thread on a random board…unless they are using a sock puppet, that is their only post which they joined the board to post and this thread doesn’t mention Kimball…we had one, but perhaps it got locked.

And it has been 18 months since his death.

I thought it seemed kind of random too. But I didn’t have time to go back through the thread and see if he had been mentioned earlier. If not, that is extremely weird. 

22 hours ago, teddyaware said:

Now that’s what I like to see! Someone who has the courage and perfect righteousness to be able to take a seat on the throne of God and boldly condemn someone they don’t like to an eternity in hell with the sons of perdition! Cool!!!

Obviously sarcastic 

1 hour ago, katherine the great said:

I thought it seemed kind of random too. But I didn’t have time to go back through the thread and see if he had been mentioned earlier. If not, that is extremely weird. 

I used the search function since it is a relatively recent thread. 

On 4/18/2022 at 10:44 AM, Teancum said:

Nice ad hominem dude.  Based on your historic posting style there is no reason for me not to surmise you were totally serious. And I was not the only one who thought so.  And if it was sarcastic I apologize.

As for me being in a constant state of anger blah blah blah, nothing is further from the truth. I am quite happy and less angry at this point in my life than I ever have been thank you very much.

That may be true but you come across as angry.

On 4/18/2022 at 10:44 AM, Teancum said:

Nice ad hominem dude.  Based on your historic posting style there is no reason for me not to surmise you were totally serious. And I was not the only one who thought so.  And if it was sarcastic I apologize.

As for me being in a constant state of anger blah blah blah, nothing is further from the truth. I am quite happy and less angry at this point in my life than I ever have been thank you very much.

Nothing like denying one is angry and negative  while resorting to the classic ‘blah, blah, blah’ angry and negative retort.

On 4/18/2022 at 11:47 PM, Scott Lloyd said:

I think it’s time we let this thing die. Brother Wilcox is a good man; he has been pilloried enough. 

I will not judge if he is a good man or not, but he lost a ton of credibility. When he speaks, his position and power differential have meaning and influence over his audience. I guess I just expect more from someone in his position. His talk was very childish and in poor taste. But that is just me. 

4 hours ago, Snodgrassian said:

I will not judge if he is a good man or not, but he lost a ton of credibility. When he speaks, his position and power differential have meaning and influence over his audience. I guess I just expect more from someone in his position. His talk was very childish and in poor taste. But that is just me. 

You haven’t said anything here that has not been repeated ad nauseam on this thread — the classic pile-on. I just think enough is enough and that it’s time to stop. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
1 hour ago, Scott Lloyd said:

You haven’t said anything here that has not been repeated ad nauseam on this thread — the classic pile-on. I just think enough is enough and that it’s time to stop. 

The curious thing is that 25 years ago very few members would have even thought twice about Wilcox’s remarks, but the new breed of woke, cancel culture affirming members, who praise abortion and gay marriage as virtues, brazenly act as if they occupy the unassailable moral high ground  

18 minutes ago, JustAnAustralian said:

(If I gambled) I would bet that there are still some out there today that follow McConkies 1st printing of Mormon Doctrine and say that the Roman Catholic Church is the Great and Abominable Church.

I have no doubt there are members who enjoyed the way he phrased it and backed him all the way. And I know of some who believe the Roman Catholic Church is the GandA. I just don’t believe that only very few members would have been troubled by it 25 years ago.  I remember conversations I had with many about respecting other faiths and I had my first conversation with a missionary around then about remembering to respect the sacrifice he was asking investigators to make by converting, including possibly a loved faith.  50 years ago, my mother and grandmother both criticized derogatory remarks about others’ faith and I have no doubt my dad and one of my grandfathers would have as well if such came up when they were around, not sure if my other two grandparents would have been concerned about it, but if asked if they thought other faiths were playing at church, I am pretty sure they would say it was insulting to say so.

Edited by Calm
On 4/16/2022 at 12:15 PM, CV75 said:

Whatever happened with Elder Wilcox -- has the tenor his youth presentations changed? Did he have a conversation with BYU students wanting to incite change?

I don't think the meeting ever took place. If it had, I'm sure Nate Byrd and "Black Menaces" would have posted video and tried to agitate more off of their "dialogue" with Wilcox. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/black-mormons-turn-tiktok-hold-majority-white-school-accountable-race-rcna25366

In hindsight, I think Wilcox handled the disruption of his class video ambush perfectly by suggesting they schedule an appointment. That was the best thing he could have done in that moment with the camera rolling.