Jump to content

Introduction


Recommended Posts

Hello! My name here is Cordelia... after my grandmother and my love of the ocean. I've participated on LDS discussion forums before, but found too many to be contentious and leaning heavily to one side or the other. I'm not a "traditional" Latter-day Saint in some ways, but I love the Gospel and cling to the teachings of Jesus Christ.  I (like a true introvert) prefer discussion things online over in person. I eat too much chocolate. The older I get, the more I seek peace in my life. Thanks for letting me look around. 

Link to comment

Avoid the Covid threads at the moment and it should be civil enough. And give it a day or two for the mod to show up and my guess is those threads will quiet down again. 

Lots of introverts here (including me, I identified as terminally shy in my teens, hated crowds then and still do, home is a refuge and bedroom my nest, love to talk online though as I can step away, don’t get worn out trying to pay attention to words, tone, and body language all at once). 

Edited by Calm
Link to comment
On 1/2/2022 at 1:40 AM, Rain said:

Welcome!  

Saw your left field comment and laughed. It fit so well.

I noticed your quote from Michelle D. Craig, Oct 2019 General Conference. It reminded me of something that C.S Lewis wrote in his book MERE CHRISTIANITY in 1952:

“The Christian says, 'Creatures are not born with desires unless satisfaction for those desires exists. A baby feels hunger: well, there is such a thing as food. A duckling wants to swim: well, there is such a thing as water. Men feel sexual desire: well, there is such a thing as sex. If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world. If none of my earthly pleasures satisfy it, that does not prove that the universe is a fraud. Probably earthly pleasures were never meant to satisfy it, but only to arouse it, to suggest the real thing. If that is so, I must take care, on the one hand, never to despise, or to be unthankful for, these earthly blessings, and on the other, never to mistake them for the something else of which they are only a kind of copy, or echo, or mirage. I must keep alive in myself the desire for my true country, which I shall not find till after death; I must never let it get snowed under or turned aside; I must make it the main object of life to press on to that country and to help others to do the same.”

Link to comment
On 1/2/2022 at 5:16 AM, Cordelia said:

too many to be contentious and leaning heavily to one side or the

Being contentious achieves nothing, and doesn't lead anywhere except to a place where you only hear your own voice.. Imo which I hope isn't too pedantic 🙂

Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Orthodox Christian said:

Being contentious achieves nothing, and doesn't lead anywhere except to a place where you only hear your own voice.. Imo which I hope isn't too pedantic 🙂

Speak for yourself. I adore the sound of my own voice - almost as much as I love talking about myself.

Link to comment
On 1/2/2022 at 12:21 AM, Calm said:

hated crowds then and still do

Churches everywhere need a splainer about not habitually packing people together. Church-goers could use some basic choke-point navigation training.

Link to comment
3 minutes ago, Chum said:

Churches everywhere need a splainer about not habitually packing people together. Church-goers could use some basic choke-point navigation training.

Of course it doesn't help that meeting houses seem to be built entirely out of choke points.

Link to comment
On 1/7/2022 at 3:03 PM, Chum said:

Speak for yourself. I adore the sound of my own voice - almost as much as I love talking about myself.

I don't know whether to laugh at this or admire the sentiment (because I tend to share it). So I shall do both.

Link to comment
On 1/2/2022 at 5:16 AM, Cordelia said:

Hello! My name here is Cordelia... after my grandmother and my love of the ocean. I've participated on LDS discussion forums before, but found too many to be contentious and leaning heavily to one side or the other. I'm not a "traditional" Latter-day Saint in some ways, but I love the Gospel and cling to the teachings of Jesus Christ.  I (like a true introvert) prefer discussion things online over in person. I eat too much chocolate. The older I get, the more I seek peace in my life. Thanks for letting me look around. 

Hi Cordelia! Welcome!

I like that name, it being the name of one of my favorite science-fiction characters (from the Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold).

Link to comment
On 1/6/2022 at 8:13 PM, StandForever said:

I noticed your quote from Michelle D. Craig, Oct 2019 General Conference. It reminded me of something that C.S Lewis wrote in his book MERE CHRISTIANITY in 1952:

“The Christian says, 'Creatures are not born with desires unless satisfaction for those desires exists. A baby feels hunger: well, there is such a thing as food. A duckling wants to swim: well, there is such a thing as water. Men feel sexual desire: well, there is such a thing as sex. If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world. If none of my earthly pleasures satisfy it, that does not prove that the universe is a fraud. Probably earthly pleasures were never meant to satisfy it, but only to arouse it, to suggest the real thing. If that is so, I must take care, on the one hand, never to despise, or to be unthankful for, these earthly blessings, and on the other, never to mistake them for the something else of which they are only a kind of copy, or echo, or mirage. I must keep alive in myself the desire for my true country, which I shall not find till after death; I must never let it get snowed under or turned aside; I must make it the main object of life to press on to that country and to help others to do the same.”

I love C.S. Lewis! I found a copy of Mere Christianity when in the Army while sailing in a US Navy assault ship on a routine cruise up the US West Coast in 1978. I had never heard of him to that point, but became an instant fan.

... de WA7MC

Link to comment
On 1/2/2022 at 5:49 AM, Cordelia said:

I have strong feelings about that, so best I keep my trap shut. 

LOL!

Go on, go have a look: whichever side you take, you will be sure to find both an ally and an opponent there! For all the disagreement, it does seem to stay pretty civil. For the most part, anyway.

Link to comment
3 hours ago, Stargazer said:

Hi Cordelia! Welcome!

I like that name, it being the name of one of my favorite science-fiction characters (from the Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold).

I'm not familiar, but no doubt my husband has read it. I'll look it up! 

Link to comment
52 minutes ago, Cordelia said:

I'm not familiar, but no doubt my husband has read it. I'll look it up! 

It's actually a novel series. The first two books are contained in an omnibus edition called "Cordelia's Honor". Like any Lord of the Rings devotee does with that trilogy, I like to re-read these two books every year.

Cordelias-Honor.jpg.optimal.jpg

Edited by Stargazer
Link to comment
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...