Seriously No Politics ×

Are you all getting snow up there in Utah?

rodheadlee

13 minutes ago, sunstoned said:

Lots of snow coming down and on the ground in South Utah County.

We were a whiteout at my house last night. I am very grateful for it all. I miss massive snows, but for the sake of my husband’s back, who refuses to get a neighbourhood kid to do it, I wish it had been spread out all fall and winter. Here’s hoping he gets the snowblower working again, though that is still hard on him (we have been fighting over whether he shovels snow or not ever since he volunteered to push his sister’s car out of a snow bank and ended up in the hospital and on the couch recuperating for the last couple of months of my first pregnancy 40 years ago…you know, the time when the husband is supposed to be going all out to make the new mother comfortable and not running her off her feet taking care of him; no doubt he wasn’t that bad but my memory says otherwise).

13 hours ago, Calm said:

We were a whiteout at my house last night. I am very grateful for it all. I miss massive snows, but for the sake of my husband’s back, who refuses to get a neighbourhood kid to do it, I wish it had been spread out all fall and winter. Here’s hoping he gets the snowblower working again, though that is still hard on him (we have been fighting over whether he shovels snow or not ever since he volunteered to push his sister’s car out of a snow bank and ended up in the hospital and on the couch recuperating for the last couple of months of my first pregnancy 40 years ago…you know, the time when the husband is supposed to be going all out to make the new mother comfortable and not running her off her feet taking care of him; no doubt he wasn’t that bad but my memory says otherwise).

I'm so glad my husband finally got the snowblower fixed this year and luckily during last year w/o a snowblower and me doing it, it didn't snow as much. Wait, take it back, that wasn't a good thing for the drought. Hopefully your husband gets the snowblower going for both your sake's!

22 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I'm so glad my husband finally got the snowblower fixed this year and luckily during last year w/o a snowblower and me doing it, it didn't snow as much. Wait, take it back, that wasn't a good thing for the drought. Hopefully your husband gets the snowblower going for both your sake's!

What about those electric snow blowers? We're outlawing all small gas engines here in California. Snow blowers, leaf blowers, chain saws. Personally I think it's stupid but all those landscapers brought it on themselves with those noisy leaf blowers. They just blow the leaves out into the neighbor's yard or out into the street for the city to pick up it's ridiculous. I think they're going to go so far as to outlaw diesel and gas generators too. It's going to be a rough ride into the future. Laws that work in urban areas do not work in rural areas.

1 hour ago, rodheadlee said:

What about those electric snow blowers? We're outlawing all small gas engines here in California. Snow blowers, leaf blowers, chain saws. Personally I think it's stupid but all those landscapers brought it on themselves with those noisy leaf blowers. They just blow the leaves out into the neighbor's yard or out into the street for the city to pick up it's ridiculous. I think they're going to go so far as to outlaw diesel and gas generators too. It's going to be a rough ride into the future. Laws that work in urban areas do not work in rural areas.

Well, that's California for you! ;)

5 hours ago, rodheadlee said:

Doesn't california already struggle with rolling blackouts because they can't produce enough (mostly coal powered) electricity as it is?  How do they think it's going to work out when every small engine in the state needs electricity to function?

Many people have gas and diesel generators wired into their homes for when electricity is not an option.  It would be entertaining to see california increase the likelihood of electrical blackouts at the same time they outlaw people having a back up.

On 12/29/2021 at 2:02 PM, Tacenda said:

I bought a snowblower off Craigslist 5 or so years ago after a snow storm blanketed us with a foot of snow and my daughters car couldn’t get out of the driveway. We haven’t seen more than an inch of snow since. I love global warming!! 

I’m thinking of using the snow blower as a feather plucker for my chickens! Do you think if I throw a chicken in the snow blower blades the chicken will come out featherless when it exits the chute?

Edited by Mike Drop
6 hours ago, rodheadlee said:

Personally I think it's stupid but all those landscapers brought it on themselves with those noisy leaf blowers

As someone who sleeps during the day preferring my windows open, I would be very happy…but understand why it is an issue.  I can see outlawing when manpower works, but that will drive up costs given more hours, so it will be electric rather than rakes and handsaws.  Backup generators for power outages, that would be ridiculous as bluebell points out…do they make an exception for those I hope?

https://www.thedrive.com/news/42744/california-is-banning-small-engines-heres-what-it-means

Apparently not yet, but here’s hoping:

Legislators have their concerns as well. Given California's history of brownouts and power grid problems, some lawmakers like Senator Brian Dahle say that banning critical fuel-based power backup mechanisms like generators makes no sense.

"[Fuel] is very sustainable. It’s easy to access. And when the power is off, you can still use it," said Dahle. "You can still run a generator to keep your freezer going, to keep your medical devices going. But when your battery’s dead and there’s no power on, you have nothing.”

California should go to no need to water landscaping except in parks anyway given rainfall.  Trying to have an English garden with a massive lawn just doesn’t fit most of the state.

Edited by Calm
1 hour ago, bluebell said:

Doesn't california already struggle with rolling blackouts because they can't produce enough (mostly coal powered) electricity as it is?  How do they think it's going to work out when every small engine in the state needs electricity to function?

Many people have gas and diesel generators wired into their homes for when electricity is not an option.  It would be entertaining to see california increase the likelihood of electrical blackouts at the same time they outlaw people having a back up.

Actually most of our power comes from natural gas not coal. The rolling blackouts are due to fire danger. They won't Outlaw Small Engines they just won't allow you to sell them anymore. It's a gradual phasing out. I think they decided to keep Diablo nuclear power station open also which supplies 8% of our electricity I believe and 15% of our carbon free electricity.

Also a lot of these generators will be replaced buy solar systems that include backup batteries so that you can go off the grid for days at a time or permanently. There is a battle going on right now about selling the extra electricity back to Edison and Pacific Gas and Electric. I'm interested to see how it comes out because I was going to install solar panels and a Tesla battery and inverter pack.

Edited by rodheadlee
1 hour ago, Calm said:

As someone who sleeps during the day preferring my windows open, I would be very happy…but understand why it is an issue.  I can see outlawing when manpower works, but that will drive up costs given more hours, so it will be electric rather than rakes and handsaws.  Backup generators for power outages, that would be ridiculous as bluebell points out…do they make an exception for those I hope?

https://www.thedrive.com/news/42744/california-is-banning-small-engines-heres-what-it-means

Apparently not yet, but here’s hoping:

California should go to no need to water landscaping except in parks anyway given rainfall.  Trying to have an English garden with a massive lawn just doesn’t fit most of the state.

A lot of our golf courses and freeway Gardens are watered by reclaimed water. We have been water conscience since the seventies. I do believe every shower so have a shut-off button so that you can soap up with the water off.

9 minutes ago, rodheadlee said:

A lot of our golf courses and freeway Gardens are watered by reclaimed water. We have been water conscience since the seventies. I do believe every shower so have a shut-off button so that you can soap up with the water off.

But household lawns, how are they watered?  Been awhile since I even visited CA, forever since I lived there, but since they are talking lawnmowers I am assuming there are still a lot of household lawns like we used to have (though San Francisco area was generally wet for a good part of the year).

added:  should have scrolled down, you answered :)

Edited by Calm
6 minutes ago, Calm said:

But household lawns, how are they watered?  Been awhile since I even visited CA, forever since I lived there, but since they are talking lawnmowers I am assuming there are still a lot of household lawns like we used to have (though San Francisco area was generally wet for a good part of the year).

added:  should have scrolled down, you answered :)

Most homes are watered with built in sprinklers on timers. Agriculture uses about 40% of our water, residential and industry uses about 10%, the rest is designated Environmental water. That means it's for the fishes and goes out to the sea without being used which is a total waste . I'm of the firm belief not one drop of water should hit the ocean without being used and reclaimed. 

10 minutes ago, rodheadlee said:

with built in sprinklers on timers

Yeah, that is what we had. But where does the water come from?  We use pressurized irrigation water on our lawn…I have failed to talk my husband into going to a ground cover. He thinks there will be too many weeds. Culinary water is only for the house…no drinking out of the hose like we used to as kids. 

Edited by Calm
2 hours ago, Calm said:

Yeah, that is what we had. But where does the water come from?  We use pressurized irrigation water on our lawn…I have failed to talk my husband into going to a ground cover. He thinks there will be too many weeds. Culinary water is only for the house…no drinking out of the hose like we used to as kids. 

That depends on where you live. Our water comes from a well. Los Angeles water comes from the Colorado River and from the California Aqueduct and well water excetera excetera. The water wars are famous here.