Dialogue

13 minutes ago, Orthodox Christian said:

Hello to all. I am new here, thank you for having me. I suppose I am here out of curiosity and a desire to understand. I am interested in all Christian denominations, so, well that's it really. Dialogue is important for learning and understanding so I look forward to that.

Welcome. FYI I don't consider us a denomination. The Church of Jesus Christ Latter-day Saints is His Church. I hope you find what you need. 

Welcome! Just in an effort to understand where you're coming from with your name, what do you mean by orthodox christian? I grew up as an evangelical christian and my parents were raised Lutheran. What does orthodox christian mean to you? By no means am I trying to be combative or confrontational. I just want a clear understanding of terms. Thanks!

7 hours ago, Orthodox Christian said:

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend. 

It wasn't in any way offensive. I'm offended you'd even think that.  Folks here aren't ones to get their haunches up over honest inquiries. Good faith challenges tend to be welcome as well.

Edited by Chum
3 hours ago, bsjkki said:

Welcome! Just in an effort to understand where you're coming from with your name, what do you mean by orthodox christian? I grew up as an evangelical christian and my parents were raised Lutheran. What does orthodox christian mean to you? By no means am I trying to be combative or confrontational. I just want a clear understanding of terms. Thanks!

Hello there, I decided to use that as my username because that is who I am, and I wanted to be upfront about that. I belong to what is widely known as Eastern Orthodoxy, although we refer to ourselves as Orthodox. The Orthodox Church is made up of Russian, Greek, Egyption, Syrian, iraqui, Ethiopian etc. So I have a faith and am not searching, and am very content where I am. Oh, I belong to the Antichian Orthodox Church. 

9 hours ago, Orthodox Christian said:

Hello there, I decided to use that as my username because that is who I am, and I wanted to be upfront about that. I belong to what is widely known as Eastern Orthodoxy, although we refer to ourselves as Orthodox. The Orthodox Church is made up of Russian, Greek, Egyption, Syrian, iraqui, Ethiopian etc. So I have a faith and am not searching, and am very content where I am. Oh, I belong to the Antichian Orthodox Church. 

Thank you. That is clarifying. 🙂

Edited by bsjkki
1 hour ago, Orthodox Christian said:

That bit is sorted, but what are the little numbers in green boxes at the side of some posts?

They basically function like the "like" buttons on Facebook.  You will probably be able to react to people's posts once you hit 25 posts yourself, if you can't already.  But a heads up--people rarely downvote on here so use that one very sparingly if at all.

8 hours ago, Orthodox Christian said:

So I have a faith and am not searching, and am very content where I am. Oh, I belong to the Antichian Orthodox Church. 

Do you mean Oriental Orthodox Syriac Orthodox Church of Antioch?  Then Antichian really should be spelled Antiochian?

9 hours ago, Orthodox Christian said:

People here would be interested in your faith. You guys do Theophany, right?  We like to eat so we'd be totally down with anything labeled a feast day.

2 hours ago, Chum said:

People here would be interested in your faith. You guys do Theophany, right?  We like to eat so we'd be totally down with anything labeled a feast day.

I'm not sure I understand you. I don't really understand your connection of Theophany to eating and what I assume you meant as a fast day? Could you clarify please? Fasting and feasting are important aspects of the Orthodox faith that is true.

45 minutes ago, Orthodox Christian said:

I'm not sure I understand you. I don't really understand your connection of Theophany to eating and what I assume you meant as a fast day? Could you clarify please? Fasting and feasting are important aspects of the Orthodox faith that is true.

I was just asking if y'all celebrated Epiphany.

1 hour ago, Chum said:

I was just asking if y'all celebrated Epiphany.

We celebrate Theophany as the manifestation of God in Trinity at Christ's baptism. Part of the celebration is the blessing of the waters both for use within the church and also water locally where possible. For example we walk to our local river and it is blessed by the Priest.

3 minutes ago, Orthodox Christian said:

We celebrate Theophany as the manifestation of God in Trinity at Christ's baptism. Part of the celebration is the blessing of the waters both for use within the church and also water locally where possible. For example we walk to our local river and it is blessed by the Priest.

Sounds familiar. We have a big Greek Orthodox community nearby.

2 minutes ago, Chum said:

Sounds familiar. We have a big Greek Orthodox community nearby.

Yes, but it is also known as Epiphany. But in the Church celebration it is Christ's birth and incarnation, which also includes the recognition by the Magi and then the great event of His baptism, so these three events are a manifestation and recognition of our one God in Trinity. It is a major celebration, I hope that explains it.

2 hours ago, Orthodox Christian said:

I don't really understand your connection of Theophany to eating and what I assume you meant as a fast day?

I was referring to Theophany/Epiphany being categorized as a Feast Day (number 6 on this list).

In the Eastern Orthodox Church, the feast of the Resurrection of Jesus, called Pascha (Easter), is the greatest of all holy days and as such it is called the "feast of feasts". Immediately below it in importance, there is a group of Twelve Great Feasts.

1. The Nativity of the Theotokos, 8 September  [O.S. 21 September ]
  2. The Exaltation of the Cross, 14 September [O.S. 27 September]
  3. The Presentation of the Theotokos, 21 November [O.S. 4 December]
  4. The Nativity of Christ (Christmas), 25 December [O.S. 7 January]
  5. The Baptism of Christ (Theophany, also called Epiphany), 6 January [O.S. 19 January]
  6. The Presentation of Jesus at the Temple (Candlemas), 2 February [O.S. 15 February]
  7. The Annunciation, 25 March [O.S. 7 April]
  8. The Entry into Jerusalem (Flowery/Willow/Palm Sunday), the Sunday before Easter
  9. The Ascension of Christ, forty Days after Easter
  10. Pentecost, fifty Days after Easter
  11. The Transfiguration of Jesus, 6 August [O.S. 19 August]
  12. The Dormition of the Theotokos, 15 August [O.S. 28 August]

I realize you are of Antioch and not Greek Orthodox. I guess Antiochians don't utilize the term Feast.

Also I can't tell if there's a lot of eating on the Greek feast days. I hope so.