Seriously No Politics ×

USC apologizes for "Let's go Mormons" chant at BYU football game

gopher

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/byu-cougars/2021/11/28/usc-issues-apology/

Classy move by the school to apologize after the chant came from the student section.  I guess the students weren't aware their quarterback is a member of the church?

I haven't seen any statements from the Church which makes me glad.  I don't think anyone was harmed by it and there are enough outraged groups out there for the Church to become one too.

Edited by gopher
fixed title

If the Church of Jesus Christ were going to say anything it would say (though not in these words), "Meh.  Young and dumb kids gonna be young and dumb." ;)

Typical for the University for Spoiled Chrildren.

What's the price to buy in this week?  It should be published by the NYSE.

(Yes I went to UCLA)....  ;)

By the way, has anyone taken note of, or pointed out, the irony that Brother Dart, USC's quarterback, is one of those "Blankety-Blank Marmins"? ;)  Perhaps a group such as USC students that aims invective at a disliked group should exercise greater care to ensure that no unintended injuries result to people on their same side from "friendly fire," as it were.

2 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

By the way, has anyone taken note of, or pointed out, the irony that Brother Dart, USC's quarterback, is one of those "Blankety-Blank Marmins"? ;)  Perhaps a group such as USC students that aims invective at a disliked group should exercise greater care to ensure that no unintended injuries result to people on their same side from "friendly fire," as it were.

We should have never tolerated the implied and direct ridicule directed at us in "The Book of Mormon" musical.

Would black folks take that?

Would Jewish folks take that now in the 21st century??

Now we are the patsies who turn the other cheek, and anyone can publicly insult us, because we ignore it.

But what else could the true Church of Jesus Christ do about it?

32 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

We should have never tolerated the implied and direct ridicule directed at us in "The Book of Mormon" musical.

Now we are the patsies who turn the other cheek, and anyone can publicly insult us, because we ignore it.

Your mileage varies, perhaps, and, certainly, that's fine.  I think the measured response of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, as an institution, to the play, actually was just right.  Take too much umbrage (even though, as you point out, the Church of Jesus Christ had every right to do so) and all that approach does is call undue attention the play.  Run ads in the playbill?  "You've seen the play, now read the book."  Granted, most people of whom it can be said that this sort of satire is their cup of tea won't be the least bit interested.  Most of them.  But the Lord works in mysterious ways, even doing it through an execrable (but critically acclaimed :rolleyes: <_<) piece of garbage.

This guy is from your neck of the woods: https://www.deseret.com/2013/5/13/20519436/inspired-question-book-of-mormon-musical-leads-to-former-california-mayor-s-conversion#the-sisters-sister-kathryn-jones-and-sister-jenna-davis-with-richard-marcus-around-christmas-time

https://www.deseret.com/2013/5/3/20519056/from-book-of-mormon-musical-to-mormon-convert#liza-morong-with-former-missionaries-who-served-in-boston-steven-vanderhoek-and-shalysa-meier-meier-was-one-of-the-sister-missionaries-who-taught-morong-and-is-still-a-close-friend

On 12/2/2021 at 5:57 PM, mfbukowski said:

Well, there's always the Danites!

On 12/2/2021 at 9:57 AM, mfbukowski said:

Turn the other cheek. 

28 minutes ago, rodheadlee said:

Turn the other cheek. 

I am horrible at that.  I am sure that is clear from the number of threads I say I am going to withdraw from, and yet waste hours hammering away the same argument again and again.  Like this thread actually.  ;)

On 12/2/2021 at 11:57 AM, mfbukowski said:

Those who you mention historically did a lot of ‘taking that’.

12 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Contrary to the clear and risible implication of your post, Mark is not defending racism (or any other form of discrimination) historically.  Rather, he is saying that anyone subjected to it would not and should not simply "take it" to the extent that it occurs today, and that more than a few people of good conscience and in good faith would, today, rise in the defense of anyone victimized by such discrimination, as they should.

Edited by Kenngo1969
2 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Contrary to the clear and risible implication of your post, Mark is not defending racism (or any other form of discrimination) historically.  Rather, he is saying that anyone subjected to it would not and should not simply "take it" to the extent that it occurs today, and that more than a few people of good conscience and in good faith would, today, rise in the defense of anyone victimized by such discrimination, as they should.

Yep.

Thanks.

20 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Besides, Mark was alive for at least part of that history of which you claim, implicitly, that he is so ignorant of, while you, by contrast, were, as a history teacher of mine used to put it, nothing but a "gleam in your daddy's eye." <_< :rolleyes: 

1 hour ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Besides, Mark was alive for at least part of that history of which you claim, implicitly, that he is so ignorant of, while you, by contrast, were, as a history teacher of mine used to put it, nothing but a "gleam in your daddy's eye." <_< :rolleyes: 

Oh yeah.

I remember the water cannons on the 6 o'clock news, and later, my prof Angela Davis told stories of Birmingham, and her little playmate who was killed in a church bombing.

Reality.

Ironically some of us students formed the UCLA Philosophy Action Coalition, (yes, philosophy AND action?? ;) ) and pressured the faculty to hire an unknown black woman PhD candidate from UCSD who was actually studying with a legend, MARCUSE HIMSELF(!) to teach dialectical materialism, which has now morphed into Critical Race Theory.

For us it was like talking to a fifth Beatle.  SHE ACTUALLY KNEW MARCUSE, the idol of Commie Yippies everywhere!

No one else even heard of either one of them

In Yippiedom, we thought we were the KINGS! ;)

It was actual personal experience, not "history". 

You live long enough and find that history is just people talking, just like this.

;)

12 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

That is a radical interpretation of the text.

1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

That is a radical interpretation of the text.

Oh, I'm not an idiot who cannot read or who lacks reading comprehension skills, but I don't care if you call me one or not.  I don't put much (if any) stock in any of your opinions, anyway.

Not claiming anyone is ignorant or racist (and I disagree that Nehor’s posts implied that, but he can explain if he so chooses) just seems appropriate to include this in this thread:

https://bradpierce.wordpress.com/2015/01/17/if-anyone-strikes-you-on-the-right-cheek-the-day-martin-luther-king-was-punched-twice-by-a-nazi/

Edited by Calm
5 hours ago, Calm said:

Not claiming anyone is ignorant or racist (and I disagree that Nehor’s posts implied that, but he can explain if he so chooses) just seems appropriate to include this in this thread:

https://bradpierce.wordpress.com/2015/01/17/if-anyone-strikes-you-on-the-right-cheek-the-day-martin-luther-king-was-punched-twice-by-a-nazi/

That is a brilliant article! Thanks for posting it!

9 hours ago, Calm said:

I agree with Stargazer, GREAT article. 

(Imo Jesus' teaching still works without the societal context explained in the last few paragraphs, but that context can make "turning the other cheek" more palatable to people who are uncomfortable with it by framing it as an act of social defiance.   I think of it as an act of extreme brotherhood.)

Edited by Olmec Donald