Seriously No Politics ×

Midnight Mormons vs RFM

Jerry Atric

Jerry Atric,

Alas, I didn't know there was a debate, so, no, I didn't watch it.  I'm sure it was interesting, but, Alas!, not having watched it, I cannot comment on it.  Rather, my comment is on your screen name: Feelin' yer age, are ya? :huh:  Aren't we all?! ;)   Welcome to the Board.

P.S.:  Whew!  Three hours?!  I'm not sure I want to, particularly not given my opinion (though reasonable minds may differ, I suppose, so I reserve the right to be wrong ... provided any of my interlocutors do the same) that some of the principals involved tend toward blowhard verbosity without ... saying much.  But perhaps curiosity might "kill the cat": I'm not saying it will, and even if it does, I may or may not have more to say about the debate here ... But for those who are interested ...

Edited by Kenngo1969
2 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I did, and it was kinda a let down at times. Because of all the build up I guess. 

Debates are poor for anything more than just verbal fencing. I would rather actually watch a fencing duel. More elegance and style guaranteed. 

I watched it and it was terrible. Learned nothing new. All it was, was a old man picking on three young guys about their religion. I’m starting to realize the people who leave Mormonism are addicted to Mormonism more when they leave the church than when they believed in the gospel.? 

6 hours ago, Mike Drop said:

I watched it and it was terrible. Learned nothing new. All it was, was a old man picking on three young guys about their religion. I’m starting to realize the people who leave Mormonism are addicted to Mormonism more when they leave the church than when they believed in the gospel.? 

Watch this short youtube, in it they don't come off so nice as during the debate, acting like they're in danger and wearing their bulletproof vests. They are pretty fake IMO. Not as much Brad as the other two. 

Jerry Atric, (love your avatar, lol!) sorry if I derail your topic, but I need to say that this particular youtube is a game changer for me, almost, I feel like Kate Kelly nailed so many things. Even when she brings up how some ex-mo's act. And really makes me take a second look at John Dehlin. And people that may not have good intentions. 

Last Sunday my husband and I went to a Thrive put on by the John Dehlin group. I went for curiosity, and all in all it was pretty good. And the people at our table were very nice. But it's getting old this non stop listening to these people so much so that it's taken many years of my life that I could be doing something better. 

But enough of that, just wanted to share this life changing, hopefully, youtube interview with Kate Kelly and her partner, Jaime. ETA: also, in a matter of hours, I now kinda like Kwaku, Cardon, and Brad. Can't believe I even said it. 

Edited by Tacenda
On 11/23/2021 at 1:02 PM, Tacenda said:

Watch this short youtube, in it they don't come off so nice as during the debate, acting like they're in danger and wearing their bulletproof vests. They are pretty fake IMO. Not as much Brad as the other two. 

I understand where you’re coming from. But they’re just three dudes defending what they believe. I think sometimes we forget how lucky we are that we have the ability to talk and think and sometimes speak critically about religions. If they truly love Mormonism, how much time should be spent tearing their religion down? Should we be relying on information we get from podcast that constantly beg for money just like most religions do? John Dehlin’s whole livelihood is based around condemning Mormonism. Why should he be trusted?

When I watched the debate all I heard from RFM was the same talking points I’ve been hearing for years. I learned nothing new. Same with the Midnight Mormons, nothing new. But I actually like the midnight Mormons better now because they’re not the evil villains exmormons spend hours and hours claiming they are. What I’ve learned over the past few years is religion/spirituality has different meanings for a lot people. The vast majority of exmormons concentrate on the “bad” parts of Mormonism and just hammer away at Mormonism because they actually think that’s how they’re going to find peace. That’s going to never happen. 

Do you want to talk about why most exmormons can’t let go of the church? 

2 hours ago, Mike Drop said:

I understand where you’re coming from. But they’re just three dudes defending what they believe. I think sometimes we forget how lucky we are that we have the ability to talk and think and sometimes speak critically about religions. If they truly love Mormonism, how much time should be spent tearing their religion down? Should we be relying on information we get from podcast that constantly beg for money just like most religions do? John Dehlin’s whole livelihood is based around condemning Mormonism. Why should he be trusted?

When I watched the debate all I heard from RFM was the same talking points I’ve been hearing for years. I learned nothing new. Same with the Midnight Mormons, nothing new. But I actually like the midnight Mormons better now because they’re not the evil villains exmormons spend hours and hours claiming they are. What I’ve learned over the past few years is religion/spirituality has different meanings for a lot people. The vast majority of exmormons concentrate on the “bad” parts of Mormonism and just hammer away at Mormonism because they actually think that’s how they’re going to find peace. That’s going to never happen. 

Do you want to talk about why most exmormons can’t let go of the church? 

I am in agreement. But if you watch the three, or two of them, they are different on their other youtubes for the most part, and are kinda two faced.

I agree that exmo's can be quite harsh and even hypocritical. They need to let active believing members live their best life without trying to tear their beliefs down. It's like swapping one "cult" and joining another "cult". Not saying LDS is an evil cult, but it's a nice cult, I'll put it that way. Because it checks off a lot of cult boxes. 

I truly believe that Mormonism can be of great benefit for those that come from a life that isn't so great, or lonely, or scary, or strife with toxicity. And for the most part, LDS are usually trustworthy, caring, people that are trying to do their best. Of course there are the weeds in there but that's with every group out there. 

I'm turning corners often and recently am turning a corner to not give my time to the John Dehlin groups, though many are just like me and trying to find a community, that I lost once I quit attending church and discontinued the ministering thing etc. That I use to love so much, until it came to be not like it had for the many years of being true believing, and loving the visiting teaching program. 

1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

I am in agreement. But if you watch the three, or two of them, they are different on their other youtubes for the most part, and are kinda two faced.

I agree that exmo's can be quite harsh and even hypocritical. They need to let active believing members live their best life without trying to tear their beliefs down. It's like swapping one "cult" and joining another "cult". Not saying LDS is an evil cult, but it's a nice cult, I'll put it that way. Because it checks off a lot of cult boxes. 

I truly believe that Mormonism can be of great benefit for those that come from a life that isn't so great, or lonely, or scary, or strife with toxicity. And for the most part, LDS are usually trustworthy, caring, people that are trying to do their best. Of course there are the weeds in there but that's with every group out there. 

I'm turning corners often and recently am turning a corner to not give my time to the John Dehlin groups, though many are just like me and trying to find a community, that I lost once I quit attending church and discontinued the ministering thing etc. That I use to love so much, until it came to be not like it had for the many years of being true believing, and loving the visiting teaching program. 

Wonderful post! Thank you.

7 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I don't feel comfortable leaving this comment unedited. I think cult=culture more or less.

I really like the Midnight Mormons.  They make me laugh and I’m glad someone is punching back against the exmormon critics.

I watched the debate.  I didn’t really understand what the bullet proof vests were all about.   The debate had a few good moments.  And some bad  moments.  Kwaku got too carried away with personal attacks.  That really made them look bad.  I would have preferred to see Cardin alone have a conversation with RFM. 

Edited by Rivers
On 11/26/2021 at 5:25 PM, Tacenda said:

. I think cult=culture more or less.

I would agree in how “cult” is used in casual discussion, it tends to be more culture they are talking about in my experience. 

On 11/23/2021 at 4:41 AM, Mike Drop said:

Old guy? RFM is 61 years old, that's not old. A lot of people who are in their early 60s haven't even retired yet. 90 is old. If you have that kind of perception of age, then I think your perception of the debate is ludicrous.

M.

10 hours ago, Maureen said:

Old guy? RFM is 61 years old, that's not old. A lot of people who are in their early 60s haven't even retired yet. 90 is old. If you have that kind of perception of age, then I think your perception of the debate is ludicrous.

M.

I’m confused! Why do you think my perception of the debate is a well known rapper? Makes no sense. Please explain.

7 hours ago, Mike Drop said:

I’m confused! Why do you think my perception of the debate is a well known rapper? Makes no sense. Please explain.

Your sentence makes no sense. If you think that RFM is old then I'm going to guess that your views or perceptions on others things are questionable.

M.

2 hours ago, Maureen said:

Your sentence makes no sense. If you think that RFM is old then I'm going to guess that your views or perceptions on others things are questionable.

M.

Whether someone thinks another is old is merely perspective.   At age 10, high schoolers seem old.  It's certainly plausible, even understandable, that some people think 30, 40, and 60 are old.

2 hours ago, Maureen said:

M.

I don't know, I'm 45 and 61 seems like an ok age to call someone "an old guy".  My teenagers think I'm old, and compared to them, I am.

35 minutes ago, bluebell said:

I don't know, I'm 45 and 61 seems like an ok age to call someone "an old guy".  My teenagers think I'm old, and compared to them, I am.

Did you get my joke? Or are you to old to know who ludicrous is?😂 By the way, I’m just a bit older then you,  my kids think I’m old as dirt.

3 minutes ago, Mike Drop said:

Did you get my joke? Or are you to old to know who ludicrous is?😂 By the way, I’m just a bit older then you,  my kids think I’m old as dirt.

No, I got it.  I only know one of his songs but it's the one I like so there's that.

21 hours ago, Mike Drop said:

It wasn’t my kind of joke. I would have found it more amusing if you had somehow made it about an old guy confusing Ludacris the rapper as the word “ludicrous” rather than confusing the word with the rapper as it doesn’t work with the context and it just implies you are ignorant not to know the original word or actual spelling of his name.  And what really made it a nonjoke for me is he spells his name Ludacris (birth name is Christopher according to wiki, but I wonder if it is Cristopher actually, which is an alternative spelling). Who knows enough to first assume it was his name, yet does not know how to spell his name?  Who would go to that misspelling of his name, but be unaware of the source word, “ludicrous”?….maybe that was your actual joke…that you are old yourself because you think yourself all hip by making a joke with a rapper’s name, but don’t actually know how he spells his name.  It is the only version that makes sense. 

You need to work on your material. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludacris

Edited by Calm