Seriously No Politics ×

OK to wear masks at Trunk-or-Treat now?

The handbook now says:

Unapproved Activities
Church units may not sponsor activities that are not in harmony with the guidelines in this chapter. These include: 
Activities that have a high risk of injury or illness (see 20.7.6).
Activities that require unusual expense or travel (see 20.7.7).
Exercise programs that have music, lyrics, dress, or other elements that are not in harmony with Church standards.
If a bishop has a question about whether an activity is appropriate, he asks the stake president. Stake presidents may address questions to the Area Presidency.

There used to be a prohibition on mask wearing in the above section and it is now gone from the handbook.
I guess a Stake president could still rule against it.

10 minutes ago, JAHS said:

The handbook now says:

Unapproved Activities
Church units may not sponsor activities that are not in harmony with the guidelines in this chapter. These include: 
Exercise programs that have music, lyrics, dress, or other elements that are not in harmony with Church standards.
If a bishop has a question about whether an activity is appropriate, he asks the stake president. Stake presidents may address questions to the Area Presidency.

There used to be a prohibition on mask wearing in the above section and it is now gone from the handbook.

This seems to allow for a wide range of cultural traditions and not just focus on Halloween (the mask part that is).

What I'm noticing about the handbook is that it seems to be less rules based and more focused on teaching principles, then allowing local leaders to apply those principles as appropriate for their areas.

1 hour ago, JAHS said:

The handbook now says:

Unapproved Activities

They probably removed it because they knew that anti-maskers would be making memes out of it and otherwise using it in inappropriate ways.  It wouldn't surprise me if it was in response to something stupid members have done to use it in their anti-mask campaigns.   Masks are not only approved now, but recommended. 

Edited by pogi
2 hours ago, JAHS said:

covid has this high risk or it doesn't.

1 hour ago, pogi said:

They probably removed it because they knew that anti-maskers would be making memes out of it and otherwise using it in inappropriate ways.  It wouldn't surprise me if it was in response to something stupid members have done to use it in their anti-mask campaigns.   Masks are not only approved now, but recommended. 

I like memes. They make me laugh.

Guy Fawkes mask it is. 

Remember, remember......

6 hours ago, pogi said:
7 hours ago, JAHS said:

The handbook now says:

Unapproved Activities

Expand  

Edited 6 hours ago by pogi

If I remember correctly one of the reasons for the no mask rule is so that everyone can more easily identify who is there and who shouldn't be there.
Also a person's vision is somewhat impaired by the mask.

3 hours ago, JAHS said:

If I remember correctly one of the reasons for the no mask rule is so that everyone can more easily identify who is there and who shouldn't be there.
Also a person's vision is somewhat impaired by the mask.

I don't think I've ever seen an official reason given, allowing for speculation. I'm glad this may be gone.