Seriously No Politics ×

How to find someone to do bathroom renovation.

Calm

My husband has always known ‘someone’ with every other renovation we have done, but is drawing a blank. Since it will be my master bathroom post renovation, I am assigned to find someone. Anyone have advice to give a rookie?

Not only how to find a good company, but what is needed afterwards (new everything).

Edited by Calm

Asking around your area is usually a good way.  Looking up local places and reading the reviews can be another but I think word of mouth is better.    Right now it's really hard to find contractors for small jobs in most areas in Utah but hopefully it won't be too hard to find someone good in your neck of the woods.

29 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Right now it's really hard to find contractors for small jobs in most areas in Utah

Probably not the best time for us either, but we can put off the bathroom if we have to. Carpeting and painting is essential for January though. 

If you are going for a new toilet , may I suggest looking at an American Standard Edgemere with a self-cleaning rim. I just put one in my own place and so far it is a marvel. Their Sonoma model is less money and works well but doesn't have the same rim type. 

Message me if you come upon anywhere I can help answer questions.

Do you have a community FB page? I get referrals off that as long as you can determine its not self-promotion or somebody's friend, relative or neighbor. I used to use Angi but the last time I tried, it was set up for the contractors to contact me rather than me being able to read their reviews and contact the one of my choice. For a complete bath remodel, I would probably use a company that specializes in that. They are likely to know more. 

On 10/11/2021 at 6:02 PM, Calm said:

My husband has always known ‘someone’ with every other renovation we have done, but is drawing a blank. Since it will be my master bathroom post renovation, I am assigned to find someone. Anyone have advice to give a rookie?

Not only how to find a good company, but what is needed afterwards (new everything).

If you lived in my state I could make some recommendations as I work in construction contracting. Since I don’t, the only advice I can give is to check out your state Construction Contractors Board. You can verify licenses and, if it’s like our state Board, they will have a consumer help section with lots of useful information. 

9 hours ago, juliann said:

Do you have a community FB page? I get referrals off that as long as you can determine its not self-promotion or somebody's friend, relative or neighbor. I used to use Angi but the last time I tried, it was set up for the contractors to contact me rather than me being able to read their reviews and contact the one of my choice. For a complete bath remodel, I would probably use a company that specializes in that. They are likely to know more. 

I almost told Calm to go to Angi's list too until I remembered when in the past I requested some help and they do indeed contact you after putting all of your contact information in. But maybe that will work for her, don't know. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2021 at 10:33 PM, Calm said:

Anyone use Angi?

Angie used to be ok, but you will end up with a lifetime of spam from every contractor in town