Seriously No Politics ×

The name of the Church is not negotiable

40 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

I think that was the best reasoned address on the subject I have heard. Not the most prophetic, but the most reasoned. Hopefully that will help some who didn’t get it. Maybe.

I dunno. I really liked how President Nelson put it in his talk soon after he became Church president. And President Ballard has given some terrific talks on it over the years. 

1 hour ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Another talk on the name of the Church. 

Let the murmuring begin. 

I was impressed that the internet domain names became available after President Nelson's original direction. I hadn't heard / remembered that.

Let the conspiracy theories begin :)

Just now, CV75 said:

I was impressed that the internet domain names became available after President Nelson's original direction. I hadn't heard / remembered that.

Yeah that was pretty remarkable. 

Although I have some recollection that the request went out that the holders of such domain names free them up. It does not surprise me that faithful Church members would comply. 

1 hour ago, JAHS said:

This can be a hard thing to do for members who have established other Church related websites whose domain name includes the words Mormon or LDS (like Mormondialogue 😉)

I don’t see any reason why mormondialogue.org would need to change it’s name,  When we’re referring to it as such we’re not talking about the church.  

3 hours ago, The Nehor said:

I think that was the best reasoned address on the subject I have heard. Not the most prophetic, but the most reasoned. Hopefully that will help some who didn’t get it. Maybe.

I think there are some members who "get it" but who refuse to get it. 

They don't want to make the change and so there is no level of reasoning that exists that will convince them they should.  I think this is especially true for those members who continue to use the terms mormon and lds as a sign that they are independent thinkers.

3 hours ago, CV75 said:

Well, you see, the FBI, the CIA, the NSA, the Rothschilds, the Rockefellers, the Trilateral Commission, the Illuminati, and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints ...

;) :D

The was a really good Mormon Land podcast recently #201 that talks about how changes in the church are affecting members.  It provides the perspective of a faithful female member currently living in Saudi Arabia.  She paints a picture of how the church is being stripped of its identity, which is stripping members of their identities. She also talks a bit about not using the word Mormon. She said that she only uses the word Mormon. Nobody outside of the high density members areas even knows what The Church of Jesus Christ of LDS is. A few recognize the Mormon church, but most don’t. You can find the episode of Mormon Land on Podcast sites.  I thought this episode was particularly informative.

Edited by 2BizE
Grammar
4 hours ago, CV75 said:

Yes, we've had 3 years to absorb the idea.

Actually, a lot longer than that. 

President Nelson got firmer than anyone ever has before, but the Brethren have taught the idea (and been largely ignored, if not pushed back on) for the last decade or two. 

6 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Actually, a lot longer than that. 

President Nelson got firmer than anyone ever has before, but the Brethren have taught the idea (and been largely ignored, if not pushed back on) for the last decade or two. 

I don't remember it that way.  What I remember is a lot of support for the term.  Including GBH giving a talk about Mormon being "more good".  The TSM's multi million and multi year I am a Mormon campaign.  

3 hours ago, sunstoned said:

I don't remember it that way.  What I remember is a lot of support for the term.  Including GBH giving a talk about Mormon being "more good".  The TSM's multi million and multi year I am a Mormon campaign.  

1 hour ago, JustAnAustralian said:

The "I'm a Mormon" campaign didn't say it was ok to call us "The Mormon Church".

It was about church members not the church itself.  Much like how mormon.org didn't go to the church homepage.

JustAnAustralian is right. There was tolerance for a while for use of the nickname Mormon to refer to members but not the Church. Officially discouraging the use of “Mormon Church” to refer to the Church has been in place for well over a decade. 

And there WAS resistance to the directive. Following it was largely regarded as optional; President Nelson made it clear that it is not, even as he instructed us to stop referring to ourselves as Mormons or using the abbreviation LDS. 

The talk Sunstone refers to from President Hinckley did not contradict the directive as it was in place back then.  

Edited by Scott Lloyd
12 minutes ago, SeekingUnderstanding said:

Once you launch a huge ad campaign using the phrase “I’m a Mormon” and launch a movie called “Meet the Mormons” you’ve moved beyond tolerance to embracing.

I agree. And that may have been the catalyst for President Nelson to call a halt to it. 

It’s interesting timing that the “I’m a Mormon” phenomenon was brought in for a landing not long before President Nelson became Church president. 

I have made a sincere effort to stop using the terms "Mormon" or "LDS".  The one term that I still can't find a suitable replacement for and frequently end up relying on is "Mormonism". 

The Catholic church has Catholicism.  Evangelical churches have Evangelism.  The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has...???  What term is there that can so succinctly capture the larger culture and beliefs that belong to and describe the ways of life of Latter-day Saints?    

Any suggestions?  I'm not a fan of Latter-day Saintism (but unfortunately, I think that might be the next best thing).  Restorationism won't work because it is a shared term with other restoration churches and is too limited in its scope.  I am at a loss.