Seriously No Politics ×

President Bonnie H. Cordon, Young Women General President

• The Lord has a plan for you and has prepared you for this day to be a mighty force for good
  • "Bonnie, what's the most important thing the Youth need to know?"
  • "They need to know who they are."
  • Nothing can separate us from the Love of God
  • The Love of God helps us resist efforts to blind us to who we are and what we are here to do.
  • We must, President Nelson said, know our purpose
  • Tanner, the young goalie, forgot his purpose, getting distracted and becoming entangled in the net; Do we do something similar?  What "nets" do we become entangled in when we forget our purpose?
  • Our eternal purpose is to come unto Christ
  • Anytime we do anything that helps anyone make and keep covenants with God, we are helping to Gather Israel, President Nelson said
  • Performing ordinances and living covenant gives us confidence to face the world
  • "There is no other way nor means that we can be saved, only in and through Christ"
  • We prepare the world for Christ by inviting all to follow Him
  • Nothing is too big nor too small for Christ to heal
  • Christ healed all who came unto Him when He appeared to the Nephites in the Book of Mormon
  • We can be examples of those around us in living the Gospel, scripture study, and so on: She shared examples of youth who were examples to their families in reading scriptures, etc.
  • What a glorious time to be engaged in the cause of Christ
  • Christ invites all of us to "come hither"; We can invite others to come unto Him as well

Edited by Kenngo1969

Elder Ulisses Soares of the Quorum of the Twelve

• Pharisee had a "holier-than-thou" attitude toward Christ and the woman who touched His garment
  • Jesus's rebuke of the Pharisees illustrates that He possessed the gift of prophecy
  • The Savior acted with compassion to all who sought His help
  • The hard-heartedness of others led them to show contempt for the Savior and for others around them
  • Jesus's compassionate and personal ministering demonstrates how we should treat our neighbors and those around us
  • We, too, should help those who are suffering and those who are "scattered abroad, as sheep having no shepherd"
  • Compassion is a fundamental characteristic of those who strive for sanctification
  • We must "mourn with those who mourn," and have empathy and compassion for others
  • Jesus's compassionate acts were not isolated or occasional instances; they were manifestations of who He is
  • Jesus commanded the dead son of the widow of Nain to rise; He was moved with compassion toward her because of the difficult circumstances of their lives
  • We, too, can act compassionately, and can be instruments in the Lord's hands to bless those around us
  • Family of daughter who had surgery on second day of her life were moved with compassion toward families in similar circumstances, and reached out to minister to them
  • Our compassion increases our sensitivity toward the needs of others, and we become sanctified as we become instruments in His hands
  • We should not judge others because all of us are in need of love and mercy: Elder Soares mentioned the parable of motes and beams
  • Christ can help us remove the beams from our eyes
  • "What manner of men ought ye to be?  Even as I am.  I would that ye should be perfect even as I"
  • In order to judge righteously, we must become as much like the Savior as we can
  • As we strive to incorporate the Savior's compassion into our lives, we will become less judgmental, and more longsuffering and understanding
Edited by Kenngo1969

Elder D. Todd Christofferson of the Twelve

• Because of His love for us, God gave us the Plan of Redemption and the Plan of Happiness, so that we can have what He has
  • He gave us the Savior so that we might be able, indeed, to have what He has
  • The savior "doeth not anything save it be for the benefit of the world, for He loveth the world"
  • Even when we feel unworthy, we can still count on God's love
  • God's love is unconditional, but His blessings are not; He cannot accept any of us into His kingdom as we are
  • If sin, and the sinful were accepted into the next world, it would fail to be as it is
  • There is a crucial difference between forgiving sin, on the one hand, and condoning it on the other
  • "Nevertheless, he that repents and does the commandments of God shall be forgiven"
  • God will redeem us from our sins, but not in our sins: Alma at Ammonihah
  • Because of Christ's atonement, mercy does not rob justice
  • The "anything but Christ" crowd says that sin does not exist, or, if it does, that it has no consequences
  • Ours is not a religion of rationalization nor of perfectionism, but of redemption through Christ
  • Prophets' warnings against sin are not motivated by a desire to condemn, but, rather, by the love of God
  • Alma wished "with great anxiety, even unto pain" that people would hearken to his message
  • God's love means that He doesn't want to leave us as we are, but to become as He is
  • As we become more like God, He can more abundantly bless us
  • As God loves us, we, also, are to love one another
  • "Thou shalt love the Lord the God with all thy heart, might, mind, and strength, and in the name of Christ thou shalt serve Him"
  • Couple's "struggle" to visit a less-active couple became less of a struggle when they realized that they should be doing it because they love God
  • "I the Lord love him because of the integrity of his heart."  The Lord regarding Hyrum Smith
  • Commandments are the path to healing, happiness, peace, and joy
  • Love of God is the solution for our "unceasingly quarrelsome times"

Elder Clark Gilbert of the Seventy

• "What should I be when I grow up, a professional athlete or a rock star?"
  • When he went on a mission, he learned that working hard isn't enough, but also making the Lord central to our efforts to become more than we are.
  • Like a mathematical diagram, we all have different "intercepts."
  • Our futures are determined not by our starting point, but by our slope.
  • What do we do with what we are given?
  • While the world focuses on our intercept, God focuses upon our slope
  • The Savior knows our struggles; He took upon Himself our infirmities
  • We must focus on where we are headed, not where we began
  • The most powerful way to show love is to never lower our expectations; in so doing, we can help others elevate their slope.
  • Involve the Lord in the process of helping others lift their slopes.
  • "The Lord will help you more than you can help yourself" -Carlos Godoy
  • "It is by grace that we are saved ..." -Nephi
  • We must make God our partner.
  • Each of us can become something more in Christ.
  • As we lift our sights heavenward, Christ will lift us to a higher place.

Edited by Kenngo1969

Elder Patricio Giuffre of the Seventy

• Spoke of his conversion
  • Saw two missionaries and asked his neighbor about them; his neighbor had been baptized a year earlier
  • He was touched by a prayer that was extemporaneous from the heart rather than being memorized
  • Missionaries taught of Christ, of the apostasy, and of the restoration
  • The First Vision
  • He talked of the things he learned from the first vision
  • He spoke of being taught regarding the coming forth of the Book of Mormon, including the ministry of Christ among the Nephites
  • Every blessing of eternal significance begins with faith
  • We must believe that Christ has the power to cleanse, heal, and strengthen us
Edited by Kenngo1969

President Dallin H. Oaks, 1st Counselor in the First Presidency

• What will the Church do for you?  Elder Mark E. Petersen told of good people who stopped participation in church
  • Religious participation in all denominations (churches, synagogues, et cetera) is down nationwide
  • A persuasive example is more powerful than a sermon
  • We are strengthened by others of like mind as we are "knit together in love"
  • Christ is the head of the church; offices were given for the work of the ministry, for the perfecting of the Saints, and for the edifying of the body of Christ
  • Personal disappointment should never keep us from the Gospel of Christ; we are called to served, not to be served
  • "No longer do I go to church for my own sake, but, rather, for the sake of others ... I go to make an active difference in others' lives"
  • We do not go to sabbath meetings to be entertained or to be instructed, but, rather, to be edified
  • Church can open our hearts and sanctify our souls
  • Church service helps us overcome "the individualism of our age"
  • In church, we associate with wonderful people striving to become more like God
  • Scriptures both ancient and modern clearly teach the need of a church directed by the authority of Jesus Christ
  • Authority is necessary to saving ordinances
  • The restored Church helps us grow spiritually; growth means change; change means repentance and drawing closer to the Lord
  • Church provides us opportunity to serve
  • Church service helps us cooperate in larger efforts to benefit the wider community
  • Geographic organization of wards gives us opportunities to work and associate and cooperate with and love people with whom, otherwise, we might not associate
  • Latter-day Saints are renowned for our ability to lead in cooperative efforts
  • Church members are renowned for Helping Hands
  • Fast Offerings help the poor in our own areas
  • Sacrament is essential to our continuing spiritual growth and development
  • To receive God's presence, we must obey the laws upon which that blessing is predicated, including worshipping God each Sabbath day
  • "The spirit giveth light to every man that cometh into the world"
  • Despite the good that can be accomplished without a church, saving ordinances are to be found only therein
  • Also, we benefit by worshipping and serving with others in church in a way that would not be possible for us to do otherwise.

1 hour ago, juliann said:

Thanks for this!

I'm missing more than I'm getting, I'm sure, so be sure to read or watch it when you can, but hopefully, this is better than nothing for those who missed it the first time around! ;)

1 hour ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Elder D. Todd Christofferson of the Twelve

• Because of His love for us, God gave us the Plan of Redemption and the Plan of Happiness, so that we can have what He has
  • He gave us the Savior so that we might be able, indeed, to have what He has
  • The savior "doeth not anything save it be for the benefit of the world, for He loveth the world"
  • Even when we feel unworthy, we can still count on God's love
  • God's love is unconditional, but His blessings are not; He cannot accept any of us into His kingdom as we are
  • If sin, and the sinful were accepted into the next world, it would fail to be as it is
  • There is a crucial difference between forgiving sin, on the one hand, and condoning it on the other
  • "Nevertheless, he that repents and does the commandments of God shall be forgiven"
  • God will redeem us from our sins, but not in our sins: Alma at Ammonihah
  • Because of Christ's atonement, mercy does not rob justice
  • The "anything but Christ" crowd says that sin does not exist, or, if it does, that it has no consequences
  • Ours is not a religion of rationalization nor of perfectionism, but of redemption through Christ
  • Prophets' warnings against sin are not motivated by a desire to condemn, but, rather, by the love of God
  • Alma wished "with great anxiety, even unto pain" that people would hearken to his message
  • God's love means that He doesn't want to leave us as we are, but to become as He is
  • As we become more like God, He can more abundantly bless us
  • As God loves us, we, also, are to love one another
  • "Thou shalt love the Lord the God with all thy heart, might, mind, and strength, and in the name of Christ thou shalt serve Him"
  • Couple's "struggle" to visit a less-active couple became less of a struggle when they realized that they should be doing it because they love God
  • "I the Lord love him because of the integrity of his heart."  The Lord regarding Hyrum Smith
  • Commandments are the path to healing, happiness, peace, and joy
  • Love of God is the solution for our "unceasingly quarrelsome times"

I wasn't sure that I understood Elder Christofferson at all, and I may have to give the transcript of his talk close scrutiny later.  Somehow, the infinite atonement of Jesus Christ got lost, or at least the mechanism of its application through faith and repentance -- of which works are only a sign.

1 hour ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Elder Ulisses Soares of the Quorum of the Twelve

• Pharisee had a "holier-than-thou" attitude toward Christ and the woman who touched His garment
  • Jesus's rebuke of the Pharisees illustrates that He possessed the gift of prophecy
  • The Savior acted with compassion to all who sought His help
  • The hard-heartedness of others led them to show contempt for the Savior and for others around them
  • Jesus's compassionate and personal ministering demonstrates how we should treat our neighbors and those around us
  • We, too, should help those who are suffering and those who are "scattered abroad, as sheep having no shepherd"
  • Compassion is a fundamental characteristic of those who strive for sanctification
  • We must "mourn with those who mourn," and have empathy and compassion for others
  • Jesus's compassionate acts were not isolated or occasional instances; they were manifestations of who He is
  • Jesus commanded the dead son of the widow of Nain to rise; He was moved with compassion toward her because of the difficult circumstances of their lives
  • We, too, can act compassionately, and can be instruments in the Lord's hands to bless those around us
  • Family of daughter who had surgery on second day of her life were moved with compassion toward families in similar circumstances, and reached out to minister to them
  • Our compassion increases our sensitivity toward the needs of others, and we become sanctified as we become instruments in His hands
  • We should not judge others because all of us are in need of love and mercy: Elder Soares mentioned the parable of motes and beams
  • Christ can help us remove the beams from our eyes
  • "What manner of men ought ye to be?  Even as I am.  I would that ye should be perfect even as I"
  • In order to judge righteously, we must become as much like the Savior as we can
  • As we strive to incorporate the Savior's compassion into our lives, we will become less judgmental and longsuffering, and understanding

Ha ha I read this as Elder Ulysses Sues the Quorum of the Twelve! :D :D :D !!!

35 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

President Dallin H. Oaks, 1st Counselor in the First Presidency

• What will the Church do for you?  Elder Mark E. Petersen told of good people who stopped participation in church
  • Religious participation in all denominations (churches, synagogues, et cetera) is down nationwide
  • A persuasive example is more powerful than a sermon
  • We are strengthened by others of like mind as we are "knit together in love"
  • Christ is the head of the church; offices were given for the work of the ministry, for the perfecting of the Saints, and for the edifying of the body of Christ
  • Personal disappointment should never keep us from the Gospel of Christ; we are called to served, not to be served
  • "No longer do I go to church for my own sake, but, rather, for the sake of others ... I go to make an active difference in others' lives"
  • We do not go to sabbath meetings to be entertained or to be instructed, but, rather, to be edified
  • Church can open our hearts and sanctify our souls
  • Church service helps us overcome "the individualism of our age"
  • In church, we associate with wonderful people striving to become more like God
  • Scriptures both ancient and modern clearly teach the need of a church directed by the authority of Jesus Christ
  • Authority is necessary to saving ordinances
  • The restored Church helps us grow spiritually; growth means change; change means repentance and drawing closer to the Lord
  • Church provides us opportunity to serve
  • Church service helps us cooperate in larger efforts to benefit the wider community
  • Geographic organization of wards gives us opportunities to work and associate and cooperate with and love people with whom, otherwise, we might not associate
  • Latter-day Saints are renowned for our ability to lead in cooperative efforts
  • Church members are renowned for Helping Hands
  • Fast Offerings help the poor in our own areas
  • Sacrament is essential to our continuing spiritual growth and development
  • To receive God's presence, we must obey the laws upon which that blessing is predicated, including worshipping God each Sabbath day
  • "The spirit giveth light to every man that cometh into the world"
  • Despite the good that can be accomplished without a church, saving ordinances are to be found only therein
  • Also, we benefit by worshipping and serving with others in church in a way that would not be possible for us to do otherwise.

Pres Oaks seemed to be pleading for attendance at the full range of churches, synagogues, and mosques, even recounting that the attendance is way off.  I share that concern, but thought that he may be ignoring the deep lack of meaning in those denominations.  In the old days, it was true that religious life had a salutary effect on overall society, but not coming to grips with the deep seated failures of those denominations could also be a problem.  Those congregations which are successful come in for particularly harsh criticism -- Joel Osteen's megachurch is a prime example of persecution by his fellow christians.

In service we find Heaven-sent opportunities to rise above the individualism of our age. Church-directed service helps us overcome the personal selfishness that can retard our spiritual growth. - DHO

For those in a ward that doesn't really interact with the community, what would Church-directed service look like? Is it only members doing stuff for each other?

56 minutes ago, Chum said:

For those in a ward that doesn't really interact with the community, what would Church-directed service look like? Is it only members doing stuff for each other?

Feel free to start your own thread.  Please do not introduce contention into this one.  Thank you in advance.

1 hour ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Pres Oaks seemed to be pleading for attendance at the full range of churches, synagogues, and mosques, even recounting that the attendance is way off.  I share that concern, but thought that he may be ignoring the deep lack of meaning in those denominations.  In the old days, it was true that religious life had a salutary effect on overall society, but not coming to grips with the deep seated failures of those denominations could also be a problem.  Those congregations which are successful come in for particularly harsh criticism -- Joel Osteen's megachurch is a prime example of persecution by his fellow christians.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but that is a topic for another thread.  Thank you.

1 hour ago, CV75 said:

Ha ha I read this as Elder Ulysses Sues the Quorum of the Twelve! :D :D :D !!!

I hope he doesn't! ;)

Elder David A. Bednar

• Moroni's appearance(s) to Joseph Smith resulted in the coming forth of the Book of Mormon
  • Our purpose is to invite people to come to Christ, live the Restored Gospel, and receive saving ordinances
  • Moroni quoted Malachi: "Behold, I will reveal unto you the Priesthood, by the hand of Elijah the prophet, before the coming of the Great and Dreadful day of the Lord, and he shall plant in the hearts of the children the promises made to their fathers ... If it were not so, the whole earth would be utterly wasted at His coming"
  • Moroni's teachings regarding the Book of Mormon and the mission of Elijah established the foundation for the work on both sides of the veil
  • Our greatest and most important duty is to preach the Gospel
  • Joseph Smith, King Follett Discourse: "The greatest responsiblity we have is to seek after our dead."
  • Covenants and ordinances bind us to Jesus Christ and are the essential core of salvation on both sides of the veil
  • "Take my yoke upon you and learn of me, for I am meek and lowly of heart, and my yoke is easy and my burden is light."
  • The "burden" that Christ invites us to take upon ourselves including helping those close to us, living and dead, receive ordinances and take upon themselves covenants
  • Today's covenant people are armed with righteousness and with the power of God in great glory
  • Young person who was partially paralyzed after automobile accident: I'm not sad, I'm not mad, and everything will be okay"
  • Divorced woman hurt and wronged by husband's unfaithfulness realized that Christ suffered not just for sin, but also for pain, suffering, disappointment, and anger
  • Woman described above learned that Christ's atonement has the power to heal the wounds caused by the unfaithfulness of another
  • Covenant keepers are armed with "righteousness, and with the power of God in great glory

Elder Ciro Schmiel

• "Elder Schmiel, you are called for what you can become"
  • He realized he could become a better husband, father, and disciple of Jesus Christ
  • To become more like the Savior, we need to ask, act, and study
  • "Now I go unto the Father.  Verily, I say unto you, that whatsoever ye ask the Father in my name, it shall be given him"
  • We need to ask in faith, accept the will of the Lord, and know that He knows what is best for us
  • Nephi: "I was led by the Spirit, not knowing beforehand the things which I should do."
  • The Lord told Nephi to go and get the plates, but did not tell him how to do it
  • Savior's response when people disputed regarding the name of the church: "Have they not read the scriptures?"
  • "Feast upon the words of Christ, for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things which ye should do."
  • We must continue to act in faith, knowing that the Lord will direct us as necessary
  • "I have questions that have not been answered yet, but I am happy that the Lord gives me the strength to continue asking and studying"
  • To become a better disciple of Jesus Christ is a lifelong journey, and it is not a competition
  • "I have heard thy prayers, and have prepared thee for a greater work"
  • The final judgment is not a tally of what we have done, it is an assessment of what we have become -Dallin H. Oaks

Susan H. Porter of the Primary General Presidency

• A correct view of oneself in God's eyes changes everything: Our view of what we are capable of, and so on
  • The first great truth of eternity is that God loves each of us with all of His heart, might, mind, and strength
  • When Nephi asked to know the meaning of the Vision of the Tree of Life, he was shown a city, a mother, and a child: Jerusalem, Mary, and Christ
  • God's love sheddeth itself abroad in all the hearts of the children of men
  • Sometimes, we can only feel God's love after we have persevered toward the tree and partaken of the fruit
  • Love of God is most desirable of all things, and most joyous to the soul
  • "A bright light filled my soul ... a manifestation of God's love for me"
  • Man who felt God's love was told that God honored his questions
  • Man who received calling: "How can I show God's love through my service?"
  • As we love and serve as God would have us do, we become true followers of Christ
  • We can pray to see God's hand in our lives and His love in the beauty of His creations
  • "His precious blood he freely spilt, His life He freely gave; A sinless sacrifice for guilt, a dying world to save"
  • Primary teacher offered prayer of gratitude that his students decided to come to class that day
  • Even if we were the only ones living on earth, still, Christ would have suffered and died for us
  • He lives to bless us with His love

Elder Erich W. Kopischke of the Seventy

• Does the "desolating sickness" to cover the land in the last days include mental illness?
  • Mental illness can interfere with our perception of perfection
  • The Savior loves each of His Father's children: He took upon Himself our "pains" and our "sicknesses" as well as our sins.
  • He shared the experiences of his family after his son came home from a mission because of struggles with mental illness
  • His son seriously considered suicide: Angels on both sides of the veil preserved him
  • His experiences with others who "comforted those who stand in need of comfort"
  • We must learn, and must help our children learn, to be content with sincere efforts
  • Mental illness is part of living in a fallen world
  • Worth of a soul is great in the sight of God ... of the greatest worth
  • Spirit can help us develop more understanding, compassion, and love
  • Speak less, listen more; do everything in our power to stay close to loved ones struggling with mental illness
  • Do everything within our power, and then stand still to see the salvation of God
  • "Fear not I am with thee; O be not dismayed; For I am thy God and will still give thee aid; I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand, upheld by my righteous omnipotent hand."
  • "The soul that on Jesus hath leaned for repose, I will not, I cannot desert to His foes.  That soul, though all hell should endeavor to shake, I'll never, no never, no never forsake!"

Elder Ronald A. Rasband of the Twelve

• "Lord it is good for us to be here"
  • Nephi: "And upon these, I write the things of my soul"
  • The seemingly-unimpressive word "things" is used in the scriptures nearly 2,500 times
  • What things do you ponder?  What things matter most to you?  What are the things of your soul?
  • Many youth have questions; Joseph Smith had questions; he took them to the Lord
  • Take your questions to the Lord; don't increase your doubts by rehearsing them with doubters
  • "What are the most important things I should know?"
  • Things of My (Elder Rasband's) Soul
    • Love God the Father and Jesus Christ, our Savior: "I know them, love them, and pledge to serve them" -President Nelson, after being called as prophet
    • Love thy neighbor, e.g., those not of our faith, ward members, family members, everyone around us
    • Love ourselves: Loving ourselves seems to come harder than loving others
    • Keep the commandments
    • Always be worthy to attend the Temple (be "recommended of the Lord")
    • Be joyful and cheerful: "Be of good cheer, and do not fear"; "I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you"
    • Follow God's living prophets: This may be seventh on the list, but it is top of mind for Elder Rasband
      • As we listen to prophets and heed their counsel, we will never be led astray.  Never!
      • President Nelson is speaking much more often than past prophets, who mainly spoke at General Conference
      • See Church's Bicentennial Proclamation: "We gladly declare that the promised restoration goes forward through revelation"

Elder Christoffel Golden of the Seventy

• "It was not reasonable that such a being as Christ shall come"
  • Was the humble man of Galilee really the promised Messiah?
  • The Jews "looked beyond the mark"
  • Should the way God works conform to our preconceived notions?
  • 1 Timothy 3:1-5 - "Perilous Times"
  • "By small and simple things are great things brought to pass"
  • "I Am the Way, the Truth, and the Life, no man cometh unto the Father but by Me"
  • "They who are wise have taken the Holy Spirit for their guide and shall not be deceived"
  • The Lord's glory will be upon us, and He will be our King and our Lawgiver
  • "Surely the Lord God will do nothing, save He shall reveal His secret unto His servants the prophets"
  • The Gospel is a message of Joy!
  • "He that denieth these things knoweth not the Gospel of Jesus Christ"
  • "Shall we not go on in so great a cause? ... Courage, on, on to the victory!"

Elder Moises Villanueva of the Seventy

• He lost his brother, sister, and brother in law
  • The Savior has compassion for us
  • Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ want us to have joy
  • Joy has little to do with the circumstances of our life, and everything to do with the purpose of our life
  • Missionary decided to stay on mission rather than attend funeral at home
  • Nephi - "Having been highly favored of the Lord in all my days ..."
  • Nephi was faithful in trials: Broken bow, building ship, et cetera: During the course of his life, Nephi always recognized the goodness of God
  • "I did not murmur against the Lord because of my afflictions ..."
  • Few things bring greater peace and satisfaction than serving our fellow men\
  • The best medicine for despair is service