Seriously No Politics ×

General Conference 10/21 posts

1 hour ago, Chum said:

Pres Eyring presiding. We're welcomed. He offers that only those who are fully vaccinated were permitted to attend.

Pres Nelson first up - to be followed by Jeffery Holland, Bonny H Cordon & Ulisses Soarez

And everyone but the fifteen are socially distanced. They are literally sitting shoulder to shoulder. Unless my eyes are lying.

I know generally  they don't assign topics for the speakers, but I get the feeling that every conference they do ask one of the speakers to focus their talk on Joseph Smith's first vision, Book of Mormon, and restoration of the church.  Which is a good thing.

35 minutes ago, JAHS said:

I know generally  they don't assign topics for the speakers, but I get the feeling that every conference they do ask one of the speakers to focus their talk on Joseph Smith's first vision, Book of Mormon, and restoration of the church.  Which is a good thing.

I tend to think that the Holy Spirit does the assigning of topics, and that Pres Nelson doesn't interfere.

1 hour ago, katherine the great said:

My thought as well. 

Since none of us know maybe it’s time for some members to stop crying about people who don’t social distance, wear a mask or may or may not be vaccinated… since we are gonna just assume the best always. We can also assume the best among our neighbors whether they are apostles or not.

I agree they prob are vaccinated and tested reg. 

Edited by secondclasscitizen
1 minute ago, secondclasscitizen said:

Since none of us know maybe it’s time for some member to stop crying about people who don’t social distance, wear a mask or may or may not be vaccinated… since we are gonna just assume the best always. We can also assume the best among our neighbors whether they are apostles or not.

Nah, I am going to assume apostles have some idea what they are doing. I am not going to generalize that assumption onto every pro-covid moron.

41 minutes ago, secondclasscitizen said:

Since none of us know maybe it’s time for some members to stop crying about people who don’t social distance, wear a mask or may or may not be vaccinated… since we are gonna just assume the best always. We can also assume the best among our neighbors whether they are apostles or not.

Did they tell us that everyone in attendance had been vaccinated?

51 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Did they tell us that everyone in attendance had been vaccinated?

Everyone but them are social distanced from what I can see. There is empirical evidence which supports the fact that masks, vaccines and natural immunity do not stop the spread of COVID. At best if one gets it who is vaccinated they generally don’t get as sick. Thus- one should always social distance with those you do not live with.  Last I heard that is the drill the medical community says is the best practice. 

myself? I don’t really care about it all. I am forced to wear a mask at work but I can’t social distance because of the nature of my work. It is a hand on job with people. I’ve had COVID twice so I’m over it.  Just surprised the entire conference center is social distance EXCEPT for the 12 and 1st pres. If they know better perhaps they should share the info. 

I'm liking a lot of the talks, there seems to be more down to earth practical stuff and a lot of international mentions. 

But the most important thing, my floral arrangement critique. Just when I thought the tossed salad arrangements couldn't get any worse....we get a an inexplicable splattering of flowers and green stuff. There is no rhyme or reason to it, it looks like a shelf in the floral department of The Dollar Store after a sale. Are professional flower arrangements really too expensive?

18 minutes ago, juliann said:

I'm liking a lot of the talks, there seems to be more down to earth practical stuff and a lot of international mentions. 

But the most important thing, my floral arrangement critique. Just when I thought the tossed salad arrangements couldn't get any worse....we get a an inexplicable splattering of flowers and green stuff. There is no rhyme or reason to it, it looks like a shelf in the floral department of The Dollar Store after a sale. Are professional flower arrangements really too expensive?

It is colorful. 

3 hours ago, secondclasscitizen said:

Everyone but them are social distanced from what I can see. There is empirical evidence which supports the fact that masks, vaccines and natural immunity do not stop the spread of COVID. At best if one gets it who is vaccinated they generally don’t get as sick. Thus- one should always social distance with those you do not live with.  Last I heard that is the drill the medical community says is the best practice. 

myself? I don’t really care about it all. I am forced to wear a mask at work but I can’t social distance because of the nature of my work. It is a hand on job with people. I’ve had COVID twice so I’m over it.  Just surprised the entire conference center is social distance EXCEPT for the 12 and 1st pres. If they know better perhaps they should share the info. 

If they are continuing the tradition of weekly apostolic prayer circles, then they are holding hands and generally in *very* close contact quite frequently.

Perhaps they see no reason to publicly pretend they are distancing in a way that they aren’t really doing when no one is watching?

31 minutes ago, juliann said:

The roses behind the podium look like a funeral spray:(

4 hours ago, Maestrophil said:

Where was the choir from the second session from (I missed the first part of the session)? There was a remarkable amount of ethnic diversity 

I noticed that as well. The real choir is pretty much all white. I think black people make the singing waaaay too fun and entertaining and we can’t have that. Like cowbell, we need more Gladys knight.