Seriously No Politics ×

Masks Required in Temples

https://apnews.com/article/health-religion-coronavirus-pandemic-utah-347e16ac75a6e1e9d5c7a4369bfbb921

• “As cases of COVID-19 increase in many areas, we want to do everything possible to allow temples to remain open,” the church said in a statement. “Therefore, effective immediately, all temple patrons and workers are asked to wear face masks at all times while in the temple.”

This is not going to go well with the anti-maskers among the membership.  In Utah County this is a high percent.

14 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

https://apnews.com/article/health-religion-coronavirus-pandemic-utah-347e16ac75a6e1e9d5c7a4369bfbb921

• “As cases of COVID-19 increase in many areas, we want to do everything possible to allow temples to remain open,” the church said in a statement. “Therefore, effective immediately, all temple patrons and workers are asked to wear face masks at all times while in the temple.”

This is not going to go well with the anti-maskers among the membership.  In Utah County this is a high percent.

This was already being done in the temple where I serve (it has been closed since August for remodeling). 

Templegoers by and large will follow direction from Church leaders without complaint or murmuring. It’s in their nature. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
5 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

This was already being done in the temple where I serve (it has been closed since August for remodeling). 

Templegoers by and large will follow direction from Church leaders without complaint or murmuring. It’s in their nature. 

Time will tell.  I was in the Mount Timpanogos temple last week, and less than a quarter of the folks in our endowment session (and only one couple in the prayer circle) were masked—even though the email confirming my temple appointment specifically requested that patrons wear masks.

12 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Another example of official instruction being rolled out after implementation had already occurred?

12 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Sure, like 70% of Utahns are getting the vaccine.  But you know as well as I do that in Utah at least a high percent of the vocal anti-mask/anti-vaccine crowd are active Church members.

8 minutes ago, mgy401 said:

Time will tell.  I was in the Mount Timpanogos temple last week, and less than a quarter of the folks in our endowment session (and only one couple in the prayer circle) were masked—even though the email confirming my temple appointment specifically requested that patrons wear masks.

I do question whether it is more appropriate to move forward with masks or temporarily cease operations till masks are no longer necessary.
I find something inappropriate about masks in the temple...just doesn't sit right (and I am not anti-mask).
I think I'd prefer another pause.

It's a little bit moot, since it's so hard to get an appointment to go to the temple, anyway. My wife and I were able to do sealings in July, and have an endowment appointment in October. People aren't able to go nearly as often as they used to (for those who went frequently).

We only saw one person in the entire temple with a mask in Gilbert and Jordan River this summer (we only got to go to Jordan River because of a missionary endowment in the family), and that was after the First Presidency letter on masks/vaccines and temple/church. With this more explicit instruction to temple presidents, I expect it to actually be enforced, but maybe it will continue to be like most church meetings/temples already are. 

I expect to have to wear one when we go to the temple, but we'll take our cue from the temple workers.

Aside from this recent development, all of this has been a complete non-factor for my family. Nobody wears masks at work/school, church, temple, store, etc. It's actually more conspicuous to see someone in a mask --- that really stands out. 

I don't expect there to be any public scenes or arguments caused over this. I think any disagreement/frustration will be private. 

Edited by rongo
6 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

I do question whether it is more appropriate to move forward with masks or temporarily cease operations till masks are no longer necessary.
I find something inappropriate about masks in the temple...just doesn't sit right (and I am not anti-mask).

I do wonder why it is more explicit with temples now, and not back in the summer. The Delta surge appears to have peaked and crested and is declining, isn't it? 

I also don't see where temples are under imminent threat of being shuttered, at least in the U.S. 

24 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

Another example of official instruction being rolled out after implementation had already occurred?

Sure, like 70% of Utahns are getting the vaccine.  But you know as well as I do that in Utah at least a high percent of the vocal anti-mask/anti-vaccine crowd are active Church members.

70%? This is what I see:

image.png.bfb40a9987e9d31fa4ab785da01b97c0.png

Utah County specifically:

image.png.4549bed69b9f1ea54bc9f1fc29a7a149.png

Edited by CV75
1 hour ago, mgy401 said:

My temple, Draper, is probably the closest in proximity to Mount Timpanogos, less than 20 minutes away. Up to the date of closure, we workers routinely wore masks, and the patrons seemed to take their cue from us without being asked. I never encountered anyone who refused. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
1 hour ago, JLHPROF said:

You’re entitled to your opinion, of course. But if the choice is between shutting down the temples again, thus hindering the Lord’s work, and putting up with a minor inconvenience, it’s no contest for me. I’ll go with the latter. 

2 hours ago, rongo said:

With this more explicit instruction to temple presidents, I expect it to actually be enforced, but maybe it will continue to be like most church meetings/temples already are. 

Well, technically, the instruction is just to ask people to wear masks - which isn't the same as requiring masks to be worn.

Without an effective enforcement mechanism, I suspect a fair number of people will continue to just do whatever they like. Even in the temple.

25 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

You’re entitled to your opinion, of course. But if the choice is between shutting down the temples again, thus hindering the Lord’s work, and putting up with a minor inconvenience, it’s no contest for me. I’ll go with the latter. 

In July I flew on a plane to the US for 9 hours and a month later came back on a plane for 9 hours to the UK. Masked both ways. It didn't kill me. I should think that being in the temple for a couple of hours is super easy, barely an inconvenience, for doing the Lord's work.

2 hours ago, JLHPROF said:

what do you think about women having veils?

3 minutes ago, Duncan said:

what do you think about women having veils?

An item with deep spiritual significance vs a worldly protection?
Not the same issue.
But honestly, it doesn't really matter.  The whole temple ceremony has been "adjusted" till there's nothing really left anyway.

I can think of some masks that might not be appropriate 😉

mask.jpg.63f54d2eabae32be0e8f2ce00f7bfd54.jpg

I don't consider myself an anti-masker.  I wear masks when I have a NEED or VERY STRONG DESIRE to go to some place and that place posts a sign that says masks are required to go into that place.

I suppose I will just not go to a temple while a mask is required to enter the building.  I already have all of my endowments and I have no NEED to go to a temple.  And while the mask requirement is in place I have no VERY STRONG DESIRE to go either.

21 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

In case anyone's interested, the full text of the letter is below.

They've gone to the trouble of pointing out the precedents, namely the urging of the 1st Presidency to be vaccinated for smallpox and polio. 

You know, it occurs to me that this might be one of those "serpent on a staff" moments.

1 Ne 17:41 - And he did straiten them in the wilderness with his rod; for they hardened their hearts, even as ye have; and the Lord straitened them because of their iniquity. He sent fiery flying serpents among them; and after they were bitten he prepared a way that they might be healed; and the labor which they had to perform was to look; and because of the simpleness of the way, or the easiness of it, there were many who perished.

They refuse to do the simple things and rely upon fools to guide them.

Temp-Mod2-Temple-Ops.png

We are being "asked" to wear a mask, huh.  I hope nobody gives me a dirty look when seeing me without one while I reply with a "No, thank you"

2 hours ago, CV75 said:

It looks like that calculation refers to % adults receiving at least one dose, not % population that is  fully vaccinated (my figures).

The high below 12 population in Utah (highest rate in the US) skews vaccination rate lower if using the full population. Best to use a rate that show either by age or if you want a ‘global’ one to show compliance, one that is for everyone 12 and older, all those of age to get the vaccine. 

8 minutes ago, bOObOO said:

I already have all of my endowments and I have no NEED to go to a temple.

Endowments...plural huh?

Hmm....