Seriously No Politics ×

General Conference Predictions and Rumors

mtomm

17 minutes ago, Boanerges said:

Not exactly correct. I've been watching GC on Youtube for years - it's my preferred media. What's new is GC now has its own channel as opposed to the general church channel.

Oh, ok.  I misread it. 

43 minutes ago, Boanerges said:

I do take notes often, probably won't use the app to do so, but for people who might it's a nice addition.

I hate taking notes on a phone or ipad.  Ugh...

2 hours ago, pogi said:

Live general conference now on youtube for first time.  Also, note taking abilities for conference in the Gospel Library app has been added.

https://www.ksl.com/article/50251171/church-of-jesus-christ-launches-new-digital-features-for-october-2021-general-conference

46 minutes ago, Boanerges said:

Not exactly correct. I've been watching GC on Youtube for years - it's my preferred media. What's new is GC now has its own channel as opposed to the general church channel.

I do take notes often, probably won't use the app to do so, but for people who might it's a nice addition.

The note taking function for past conferences has been available for years on the Gospel Library app. What’s new this time is that it is already available for the live broadcast. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
28 minutes ago, Chum said:

Can you share any examples where you (or someone you know, etc) were unable to trash talk youth? Or not speak as poorly as you wanted to - whatever is in play here.

When discussing things that would embarrass or hurt them (such as adult leaders discussing youth who are extremely problematic for various reasons). Obviously, that conversation wouldn't happen in front of those youth or to their face. The approach directly to the specific youth would be very different, but it doesn't make it hypocritical, mean, or two-faced that an "executive session" conversation would be very different. 

43 minutes ago, rongo said:

When discussing things that would embarrass or hurt them (such as adult leaders discussing youth who are extremely problematic for various reasons). Obviously, that conversation wouldn't happen in front of those youth or to their face. The approach directly to the specific youth would be very different, but it doesn't make it hypocritical, mean, or two-faced that an "executive session" conversation would be very different.

Man, I don't know. It seems like me and other YM leaders could always find a way to discuss it with them. They're the ones with all the power, after all.

Sort of related: I had one young man who started reaching out to me over GChat. So, we talked. Bluntly. Everything was on the table, including discussions about his his parents (who I also had issues with), about me, about leadership, whoever. We did this for months. Very little was held back.

Then at the end of each session, I copied the entire chat and emailed it to his parents. Because my condition for him and me having these conversations was that they couldn't be private.

Edited by Chum

One year, my older teen missed priesthood. When I returned from watching at the chapel, I told him the Church had an announcement - the temple marriage age had been lowered to 15 for YM (17 for YW). That went over well.

That was only a few years ago and that joke already feels gross. Funny is hard.

On 9/22/2021 at 2:39 PM, JLHPROF said:

I predict Elder Holland will apologize or fix what he said at BYU. I hope he apologizes about bringing up Matt's Easton's valedictorian's speech. 

Not a chance.
But he may intentionally choose a topic more about loving and forgiving.

Called it.  Loving, forgiving, still have to give up sins.

5 hours ago, JLHPROF said:

Called it.  Loving, forgiving, still have to give up sins.

The general theme of all the talks so far have been about love.  I'm looking forward to getting the transcripts, because I'm going to count how many times any form of the word "love" was used.  

Also, I consider Elder Erich W. Kopischke's talk (of the Seventy) in the Saturday afternoon session to be very timely and much needed.  I know a family that lost a son due to depression this week.   His talk moved me.

I heard a quick news blurb about us and our General Conference in the national news on am radio.  First time ever here in Colorado Springs.   I think it was ABC "all the national news in two minutes" things.  Sounded like this:

"...expected him to step down after this term.   A leader of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, told his congregation during their semiannual General Conference, that anyone who wants to find the truth, should listen to the words of their prophet, Russel M. Nelson.  President Nelson and his advisors have been quite outspoken on the subject of COVID-19, urging everyone in their congregation to get vaccinated.  Algeria has recalled it's ambassador to France after..."

Edited by LoudmouthMormon
On 9/22/2021 at 10:47 AM, mtomm said:

A little disappointed I hadn't seen this discussion started yet so I'll go first. 
Biggest announcement: New MTC and temple to be built in Rexburg, Idaho.
My ranking of this rumor being true is 7/10. 

That's it. That is all I have. 

Temple ✔️

MTC maybe next time. 

1 hour ago, webbles said:

Elder Vaiangina Sikahema.  He spoke in the Sunday morning conference.

Ah yes! I must have been, ahem, pondering the many mysteries of the kingdom at that moment... ; )

And you would think I should recognize the name! He was at BYU at the same time I was. I was in the marching band virtually the entire time he played football. Yup, just me, Vai, and Ty... ;o

Edit: Oops, it looks like he had already left when I got there. So I guess it was just me and Ty. ; )

Edited by Vanguard

Anybody taking bets ... :huh: um, well, you know what I mean :huh: ... on what President Nelson would have said, if the Spirit had not constrained him to cut the address he gave this morning short?  (Hey, gotta keep the General Conference Rumor Mill alive for the next six months somehow! )

;):D 

16 hours ago, webbles said:

Elder Vaiangina Sikahema.  He spoke in the Sunday morning conference.

I was impressed with his polish. 

And it made me wonder: Since the days of Richard L. Evans, have we ever had a professional broadcaster serve as a General Authority?

Added later: I don’t know whether we could count Dallin H. Oaks, who had an after-school job while in high school as a local radio station announcer (and engineer). 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
  • 2 weeks later...

One of the things I hear a lot, and find some agreement with, is that GC never delivers to the people hungry for revelation, mysteries, doctrinal meat.  It's mostly fatherly encouragement, timely cautions, tips for better living, and announcements of new temples.  It can be inspiring but sadly, for many, it's a yawn.