General Conference Predictions and Rumors

mtomm

A little disappointed I hadn't seen this discussion started yet so I'll go first. 
Biggest announcement: New MTC and temple to be built in Rexburg, Idaho.
My ranking of this rumor being true is 7/10. 

That's it. That is all I have. 

Edited by mtomm
10 minutes ago, mtomm said:

A little disappointed I hadn't seen this discussion started yet so I'll go first. 

I had to laugh at the last line.

I personally haven't heard any rumors for this conference.  It seems like, since the last few conferences have been business as usual as far as changes goes, that people have stopped sharing rumors or expecting anything new.

I'd be surprised if anything really new is announced, but your prediction about Rexburg could easily be true, though didn't Rexburg just get a temple a few years ago?  

8 minutes ago, bluebell said:

I had to laugh at the last line.

I personally haven't heard any rumors for this conference.  It seems like, since the last few conferences have been business as usual as far as changes goes, that people have stopped sharing rumors or expecting anything new.

I'd be surprised if anything really new is announced, but your prediction about Rexburg could easily be true, though didn't Rexburg just get a temple a few years ago?  

Yes, in 2008 the Rexburg temple opened. 
I understand the new temple would be associated with the MTC, so I'm guessing it may be dedicated to the missionaries at the MTC. 

45 minutes ago, mtomm said:

I thought Rexburg was having a student housing crisis. I can’t imagine where they’d find room for an MTC 😄

20 minutes ago, Ginger Snaps said:

I thought Rexburg was having a student housing crisis. I can’t imagine where they’d find room for an MTC 😄

The rumored area is a large plot of land across the street from Walmart. There is a ton of farmland available and plenty of room for an MTC around Rexburg. Having land area is not a problem. Many farmers would be thrilled to have it purchased by the Church for its use. 

It's definitely a different feel having no audience (maybe spouses this time?) for the fourth straight conference. It has to feel quite different speaking to just a camera than to more than 20,000 in an audience. 

I expect nothing "amazing;" just "business as usual." I don't expect things like masks, vaccines, etc. or specific current events (BYU, culture wars, etc.) to be specifically mentioned. In keeping with the recent past, I expect generalities and the usual: the atonement, stay in the boat, depression, accepting people, generic missionary work, etc.

If there are any big handbook or policy changes, I also expect it to be in keeping with the recent past: quietly released during the week of conference, and then not brought up or mentioned at all at conference. 

We will actually miss all of the Saturday sessions this year because we will be up with our son and daughter at Family Weekend at their university (lots of events and activities). But, the week after conference is our school's fall break, so we can catch up on those talks the week after conference. 

3 hours ago, mtomm said:

Conference in April?

Guessing in September?

Hmmmm..... O Kaaaaaaay....

Big news since Rexburg has no other church facilities there... ;)

It's Provo North!

15 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I predict Elder Holland will apologize or fix what he said at BYU. I hope he apologizes about bringing up Matt's Easton's valedictorian's speech. 

Not a chance.
But he may intentionally choose a topic more about loving and forgiving.

1 hour ago, rongo said:

It's definitely a different feel having no audience (maybe spouses this time?) for the fourth straight conference. It has to feel quite different speaking to just a camera than to more than 20,000 in an audience. 

I expect nothing "amazing;" just "business as usual." I don't expect things like masks, vaccines, etc. or specific current events (BYU, culture wars, etc.) to be specifically mentioned. In keeping with the recent past, I expect generalities and the usual: the atonement, stay in the boat, depression, accepting people, generic missionary work, etc.

If there are any big handbook or policy changes, I also expect it to be in keeping with the recent past: quietly released during the week of conference, and then not brought up or mentioned at all at conference. 

We will actually miss all of the Saturday sessions this year because we will be up with our son and daughter at Family Weekend at their university (lots of events and activities). But, the week after conference is our school's fall break, so we can catch up on those talks the week after conference. 

I think covid forced the hand of the brethren to make changes that wouldn't be changed otherwise and probably will go away once things are "normal" again i.e. sacrament once a month for homebound people, no blessings just prayers, temples are opened and clsoed and mask mandates etc. Just today the Church announced masks must be worn at all temples, here though it's already a law, some businesses are skirting it though so we would wear masks at the temple when it gets dedicated.

4 hours ago, mtomm said:

I'm not sure an MTC in Rexburg would be a good idea.  The nearest large airport is in Salt Lake, 240+ miles away.  Before the Frontrunner went in, the logistics of getting thousands of missionaries to and from Salt Lake and Provo every week/month were pretty intense, and Provo is less than 50 miles away. 

Think of all the buses that would need to traverse that 240 miles.  Think of how many months out of the year the roads in southeast Idaho are snowy/icy.

Thanks,

-Smac

Edited by smac97
1 hour ago, SeekingUnderstanding said:

I just assumed she was talking about the one coming in less than two weeks ;)

🤕

Oh.

THAT one. 🤔

Of course you are assuming we are now in September.  ;)

Hey I am retired.   Days and dates?

I just go by doctor's appointments now. 

Now if she had mentioned it was a few days after my cardiologist check up,  I would have known instantly.

Clearly it's all her fault!  🥺

Seriously- oops!  My time machine settings were off, that's all!  ;)

1 hour ago, smac97 said:

I'm not sure an MTC in Rexburg would be a good idea.  The nearest large airport is in Salt Lake, 240+ miles away.  Before the Frontrunner went in, the logistics of getting thousands of missionaries to and from Salt Lake and Provo every week/month were pretty intense, and Provo is less than 50 miles away. 

Think of all the buses that would need to traverse that 240 miles.  Think of how many months out of the year the roads in southeast Idaho are snowy/icy.

Thanks,

-Smac

Why any new MTC at all (especially with half of all MTC being online)? It's not like there is a groundswell of missionaries requiring a new MTC. As you point out, Rexburg makes no logistical sense. 

How many are currently at the Provo MTC?

1 hour ago, smac97 said:

Thanks,

-Smac

Sounds like a job for (cue fanfare)  ELON MUSK~

6 hours ago, mtomm said:

Makes sense to me.  People who live in Idaho and the states around Idaho don't need to fly anywhere if their mission assignments are also near where they live.  I predict other Missionary Training Centers will be constructed all over the planet.

Why fly when you can just drive somewhere to serve a mission.  The next step will be to get everyone to ride a bicycle to their nearest MTC, and then off to where they will serve their mission.

I live near Portland Oregon and bicycles are already popular around here, with bicycle lanes near if not on most of the roads.

1 hour ago, smac97 said:

I'm sure southeast Idaho is at the top of Elon's list of places to put in a subterranean highway.

Thanks,

-Smac

But just think of the dating benefits of having a super speed jet subway between Provo and Rexburg!