LDS Resources for Men and Women

Pleas help me understand the issue here?  There have always been distinctions between Priesthood and Relief Society. Having it say Men and Women seems about to same, but perhaps easier for some newer members of the church or those non-native English speaking.  What am I missing?

52 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Maybe they were ready to go with the Women category and felt a pressing need for it but felt it would be awkward not to have a Men category in place at the same time, incomplete though it might be. 

Why do you see a more pressing need for these resources?  What are you suggesting about women...and men (we've got is all figured out and don't really need and resources, and are just an after thought to make it less awkward)?

11 minutes ago, pogi said:

Why do you see a more pressing need for these resources?  What are you suggesting about women...and men (we've got is all figured out and don't really need and resources, and are just an after thought to make it less awkward)?

I didn’t say I see a pressing need. I speculated that some might have felt, for whatever reason, that there was a need to go online with a women’s category even though a men’s category might not have been altogether ready. 

Why are YOU inclined to ascribe to me what I did not say or intent I don’t have?

Edited by Scott Lloyd
2 hours ago, Fether said:

As a brother myself, I would say the resources I need are found everywhere else in gospel library.

So why bother to create a page for the brothers? For their convenience, I suppose?

Edited by Bernard Gui
2 hours ago, bluebell said:

Putting this stuff only under the women's tab creates a damaging and untrue narrative about women's reach in the church, namely, that it only applies to other women.  That wasn't true historically so why imply that's true today?

I personally would not read that much into it, but I’m not looking  to press the issue. 

2 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Actually, I never go to the handbook for information on priesthood ordinances. Too much detailed content there to wade through if you don’t have a reference or link. I find what I need in the Family Guidebook, which is located under “Books and Lessons” in the app. 

But if I were an inexperienced user, and if I were not adept at using digital search strategies to find stuff (some people aren’t), I might go looking under “Adults” and then find my way to the handbook link under “Men.” It doesn’t strike me as NON-useful or NON-user friendly to do it that way. 

I hope more useful things to be added. 

1 hour ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Maybe they were ready to go with the Women category and felt a pressing need for it but felt it would be awkward not to have a Men category in place at the same time, incomplete though it might be. 

I think it was Winston Churchill who said, “It would be an inconvenient rule if nothing could be done until everything could be done.”

Thanks.I had considered that possibility.

Brother Winston was the Brit’s Brother Brigham. 

Edited by Bernard Gui
1 hour ago, strappinglad said:

Is it possible that all/many of the topics in the women's section were suggested by women and similarly the men's topics were suggested by men ? If so, then there is a shoe analogy hiding there. 😎( ducks for cover ) 

Reminds of one of my favorite tunes as a youth. Something about “fools rush in where angels fear to tread….” 🙃

38 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I didn’t say I see a pressing need. I speculated that some might have felt, for whatever reason, that there was a need to go online with a women’s category even though a men’s category might not have been altogether ready. 

Why are YOU inclined to ascribe to me what I did not say or intent I don’t have?

Ok, so you don't actually see any pressing need.   Instead, are you just throwing out random ideas without any evidence or reason to believe such things in order to justify/explain why there are far more resources listed for women?

You also said,

I see it as more of a squeaky-wheel-gets-the-grease possibility

Maybe if you could throw out 1 or 2 more speculative ideas that make women look like needy and annoying "squeaky-wheels" that require far more resources and attention than men to appease them, that might help your cause more. 

1 hour ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I’m not sure this is verifiable unless there’s a screen capture somewhere. 

But that’s beside the point. You said an inexperienced user would not know the adult section exists. I say such a user is apt to note it if it’s on the first screen he/she sees when opening the app. 

And my point is that most experienced users didn't know that that stuff for women was on the front page, even though it's been there for years.  What you say such a user is apt to note is just opinion, unverifiable and unsupported by any evidence.  And all that that means is that both of our opinions on it are equally valid and it's a dumb thing to argue over.

1 hour ago, 2BizE said:

Pleas help me understand the issue here?  There have always been distinctions between Priesthood and Relief Society. Having it say Men and Women seems about to same, but perhaps easier for some newer members of the church or those non-native English speaking.  What am I missing?

Have you clicked on each section to see what is included under each category?

9 minutes ago, pogi said:

Ok, so you don't actually see any pressing need.   Instead, are you just throwing out random ideas without any evidence or reason to believe such things in order to justify/explain why there are far more resources listed for women?

You also said,

Maybe if you could throw out 1 or 2 more speculative ideas that make women look like needy and annoying "squeaky-wheels" that require far more resources and attention than men to appease them, that might help your cause more. 

Stop with the combative insults. 

I won’t entertain further conversation with you in this vein. Back off. 

1 hour ago, 2BizE said:

The obvious issue is the contents of the pages. I could see them eventually being filled with all kinds of helpful information. Right now the men’s section is somewhat Spartan.

Edited by Bernard Gui
8 minutes ago, bluebell said:

And my point is that most experienced users didn't know that that stuff for women was on the front page, even though it's been there for years.  What you say such a user is apt to note is just opinion, unverifiable and unsupported by any evidence.  And all that that means is that both of our opinions on it are equally valid and it's a dumb thing to argue over.

Much of this thread’s content is dumb to argue over. I’m out. 

Is this sort of a Hobson's Choice for leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?  Don't have a category labeled "Women," and be open to accusations of, "Come on!  Leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are completely tone deaf!  They don't understand the special challenges that women face."  Do have such a category, and be open to accusations of, "Come on!  This is the 21st century, for crying out loud!  Why do they even need to have a separate category for women?  How sexist!"

Six for one, half-a-dozen for the other?  Is the Church of Jesus Christ (along with its leaders) "Danged if it does, and danged if it don't"?

Edited by Kenngo1969
21 minutes ago, pogi said:

You also said,

I see no reason to make this a contentious and personal issue, do you? That was certainly not the intent of the OP.

Taking a better tack, what are some helpful things that could be put into the Women and Men pages? Serious suggestions for a while please to avoid details.

I would suggest links to mental health information. What else?

Edited by Bernard Gui
48 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

So why bother to create a page for the brothers? For their convenience, I suppose?

& @bluebell Honestly, I bet they made the men’s page  only because they made a sisters page. There are plenty of stuff sisters would find more interesting than brothers (as evident of the page). You can’t make a sisters page without a brothers

Edited by Fether
1 hour ago, Fether said:

& @bluebell Honestly, I bet they made the men’s page  only because they made a sisters page. There are plenty of stuff sisters would find more interesting than brothers (as evident of the page). You can’t make a sisters page without a brothers

You could be right. If you are I think that’s a bit problematic. 

2 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

The obvious issue is the contents of the pages. I could see them eventually being filled with all kinds of helpful information. Right now the men’s section is somewhat Spartan.

Ahhh, it is likely they are going to add a BYU sports section to the Men’s folder in an effort to make EQ meeting less boring.

22 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

Gospel Library 👉 Adults 👉 Men

Gospel Library 👉 Adults 👉 Women

Comments?

You're giving a false impression of what is seen after clicking on Gospel Library, and then again after clicking on Adults.  What is seen is a lot more than what you are showing.

After clicking on Adults for example there are several categories of links for Adults, such as links for Women, Men, Young Adults, Single Adults, Parents, and Military Members.

Why did you present what is available with such a limited example?  Is this characteristic of what I can expect to see from you from now on?  I had such high hopes for you.  I thought you had such a great sense of humor.

I feel so deflated now.   As if someone punched another hole in one of my favorite bowling balls.

17 hours ago, bOObOO said:

You're giving a false impression of what is seen after clicking on Gospel Library, and then again after clicking on Adults.  What is seen is a lot more than what you are showing.

After clicking on Adults for example there are several categories of links for Adults, such as links for Women, Men, Young Adults, Single Adults, Parents, and Military Members.

Why did you present what is available with such a limited example?  Is this characteristic of what I can expect to see from you from now on?  I had such high hopes for you.  I thought you had such a great sense of humor.

I feel so deflated now.   As if someone punched another hole in one of my favorite bowling balls.

Considering all that’s been said so far, I’m not interested in arguing this pointless comment, 🙃but I’ll be happy to punch you a new hole if you need one.👊 How’s that for a sense of humor?🙃

Edited by Bernard Gui
3 hours ago, Fether said:

Are you willing to put up a prime rib dinner at Outback?

1 hour ago, 2BizE said:

Ahhh, it is likely they are going to add a BYU sports section to the Men’s folder in an effort to make EQ meeting less boring.

Serious suggestions first, please, then we can derail.  
Our elders quorum meetings are far from boring.