Seriously No Politics ×

LDS Resources for Men and Women

24 minutes ago, LoudmouthMormon said:

I've been overall happy with the various changes to the LDS Library app over time.  Yeah, the current selections under "men" is a bit silly.  Check back in a few months and see if it's less silly.

I'm a fan, for example, of the "Life Help" section, with helpful and relevant entries on self reliance, abuse, addiction, adoption, death, disabilities, divorce, education, employment, English learning, family, finances, grief, hope, media safety, mental health, physical health, pr0n, pregnant and single, preparedness, same-sex attraction, single-parent families, suicide, and transgender.    The church is doing a great job, IMO, of making it's best resources swiftly available to the "we have an app for that" culture.  

But yeah, the sparse men section is a tad silly.

Would it have seemed silly if, instead of the link to the Church handbook, the linked portion had been reprinted in the men’s section? That would strike me as less efficient. 

28 minutes ago, CV75 said:

Gospel Library 👉 Adult 👉 Child 👉 Alcoholics

??

4 minutes ago, Fether said:

It’s not. I was thinking of that same point actually.

As far as I can tell, the only reason this is a topic is because someone thinks this is an issue of some sort. 

I’m that someone, but I don’t think it’s some big issue. Just interesting. Waiting for a possible expansion, but why the wait? Seems it would be very easy to include some real resources for brothers. 

16 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Did you read my subsequent post to you? Seems like your complaints are premature. 

But in response to your question, as a user looking for information on how to give a priesthood blessing, I might first go to the “men’s section,” where I would then be directed to the relevant part of the Church handbook. I would feel well-served as a user, as much so as if the content from the handbook were reproduced in the “men’s section.” 

Did you have trouble finding that information before the men's section existed though?  If you searched priesthood ordinances or priesthood blessings, the link came right up.  How many people are going to go to the church's website looking for how to do a priesthood blessing and think "I need to go find the Adults tab"?  Especially when a lot of people won't even know that an adults tab/men's tab exists.

To be clear, I don't have a problem that they put it under a men's tab, but I don't think it's especially useful or user friendly either.  The information is still right where it always was, and there's an easier way to find it than:

gospel library---adults tab---men's tab---general instructions page link---general handbook page.

24 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

I am interested in comments. No complaints. It just seemed interesting to me. If I were to make a statement it would be that I’m glad to see so many resources for the sisters, but from personal experience I would like to see some for the brethren. We need support too.

I’m thinking there are already existing resources. Perhaps links to them could be placed under the Men category, as there is already a link there to the handbook content on priesthood ordinances and blessings. Perhaps there will be such links in the future. Time will tell, I suppose. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
2 minutes ago, Fether said:

As a brother myself, I would say the resources I need are found everywhere else in gospel library.

This is true for the sisters too though.  All of this stuff for women has been on the gospel library for a while.  If these resources for women were already found everywhere else in the gospel library, and that's why the men's tab is embarrassingly empty, why do we need a women's tab?

17 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

We need support too.

Very much so.  And, if my experience is any indication, men need just as much help understanding the roles of women in the priesthood as much as the women do.  Why put something that benefits men as much as women, only in the women's tab?

Why assume that "women at the pulpit" is only relevant to women?  Those women at the pulpit were oftentimes speaking to men too (such as in GC).  If it was relevant for the men they were speaking too, why isn't it relevant to men today?  

Putting this stuff only under the women's tab creates a damaging and untrue narrative about women's reach in the church, namely, that it only applies to other women.  That wasn't true historically so why imply that's true today?

41 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Did you read my subsequent post to you? Seems like your complaints are premature. 

But in response to your question, as a user looking for information on how to give a priesthood blessing, I might first go to the “men’s section,” where I would then be directed to the relevant part of the Church handbook. I would feel well-served as a user, as much so as if the content from the handbook were reproduced in the “men’s section.” 

These are not complaints, they are concerns.  And that is not my only one.

Women and the priesthood, for example, is not a segregated topic. It's as applicable to men as it is to women (at least that's what we were told for decades when we would have lessons on the oath and covenant of the priesthood and similar topics in YW and RS).  So why make it segregated when it shouldn't be?  The same is true for "women at the pulpit".  That is not a segregated topic, but the new tabs turn it into one. 

Turning these topics into segregated topics is a step back for us, not forward.

I do still have hope though that some of these sections will make their way to the men's tab as well since they are as applicable to them.  Time will tell.

12 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Did you have trouble finding that information before the men's section existed though?  If you searched priesthood ordinances or priesthood blessings, the link came right up.  How many people are going to go to the church's website looking for how to do a priesthood blessing and think "I need to go find the Adults tab"?  Especially when a lot of people won't even know that an adults tab/men's tab exists.

To be clear, I don't have a problem that they put it under a men's tab, but I don't think it's especially useful or user friendly either.  The information is still right where it always was, and there's an easier way to find it than:

gospel library---adults tab---men's tab---general instructions page link---general handbook page.

Actually, I never go to the handbook for information on priesthood ordinances. Too much detailed content there to wade through if you don’t have a reference or link. I find what I need in the Family Guidebook, which is located under “Books and Lessons” in the app. 

But if I were an inexperienced user, and if I were not adept at using digital search strategies to find stuff (some people aren’t), I might go looking under “Adults” and then find my way to the handbook link under “Men.” It doesn’t strike me as NON-useful or NON-user friendly to do it that way. 

2 hours ago, bluebell said:

These are not complaints, they are concerns.  And that is not my only one.

Women and the priesthood, for example, is not a segregated topic. It's as applicable to men as it is to women (at least that's what we were told for decades when we would have lessons on the oath and covenant of the priesthood and similar topics in YW and RS).  So why make it segregated when it shouldn't be?  The same is true for "women at the pulpit".  That is not a segregated topic, but the new tabs turn it into one. 

Turning these topics into segregated topics is a step back for us, not forward.

I do still have hope though that some of these sections will make their way to the men's tab as well since they are as applicable to them.  Time will tell.

If a male user is looking for content about women and the priesthood, what’s to stop him from looking for it under the “Women” category? It’s not as though there is an unwritten rule against it. Intuitively, I would be more inclined to search for it there than under the “Men” category. 

The “At the Pulpit” link takes you to a superb book recently published by the Church History Department presenting a compilation of selected noteworthy sermons and addresses given by women in the Church over the course of its history. These speeches would be difficult for a novice to find otherwise; they are now very accessible to the average Church member. The compilation was made by two brilliant female historians in the department (I interviewed them at the time of the book’s publication).

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/church/news/new-book-highlights-185-years-of-womens-discourses-in-the-church?lang=eng

If I were looking for that book, I would intuitively search under the “Women” category. I certainly wouldn’t search for it in the “Men” category. 

Added later: Above link to my article about At the Pulpit. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
8 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

If a male user is looking for content about women and the priesthood, what’s to stop him from looking for it under the “Women” category? It’s not as though there is an unwritten rule against it. Intuitively, I would be more inclined to search for it there than under the “Men” category. 

If it was under the men category, you wouldn't have to search for it. You would have already seen it under there.

But the ease of finding something isn't the point of my concern.  

18 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Actually, I never go to the handbook for information on priesthood ordinances. Too much detailed content there to wade through if you don’t have a reference or link. I find what I need in the Family Guidebook, which is located under “Books and Lessons” in the app. 

But if I were an inexperienced user, and if I were not adept at using digital search strategies to find stuff (some people aren’t), I might go looking under “Adults” and then find my way to the handbook link under “Men.” It doesn’t strike me as NON-useful or NON-user friendly to do it that way. 

Most inexperienced users wouldn't know that the adult section exists.

53 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

I’m that someone, but I don’t think it’s some big issue. Just interesting. Waiting for a possible expansion, but why the wait? Seems it would be very easy to include some real resources for brothers. 

Maybe they were ready to go with the Women category and felt a pressing need for it but felt it would be awkward not to have a Men category in place at the same time, incomplete though it might be. 

I think it was Winston Churchill who said, “It would be an inconvenient rule if nothing could be done until everything could be done.”

1 hour ago, Scott Lloyd said:

???

A failed attempt at humor, the only kind of comment I could come up with. The gospel topic resources of Denver Snuffer are mixed up.

1 hour ago, Bernard Gui said:

??

A failed attempt at humor, the only kind of comment I could come up with. Just a plain old ridiculous non-sequitur referencing the ACOA 12-step program.

10 minutes ago, bluebell said:

If it was under the men category, you wouldn't have to search for it. You would have already seen it under there.

But the ease of finding something isn't the point of my concern.  

I wouldn’t have already seen it in the Men category if I hadn’t been there. And I would not intuitively go there to find something primarily pertaining to women. 

Ease of finding something might not be the point of your concern, but it IS the point of having a Gospel Library app. 

10 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I wouldn’t have already seen it in the Men category if I hadn’t been there. And I would not intuitively go there to find something primarily pertaining to women. 

Ease of finding something might not be the point of your concern, but it IS the point of having a Gospel Library app. 

I disagree it's the point of the app.  

3 minutes ago, strappinglad said:

Is it possible that all/many of the topics in the women's section were suggested by women and similarly the men's topics were suggested by men ? If so, then there is a shoe analogy hiding there. 😎( ducks for cover ) 

Honestly, this wouldn't surprise me.

7 minutes ago, strappinglad said:

Is it possible that all/many of the topics in the women's section were suggested by women and similarly the men's topics were suggested by men ? If so, then there is a shoe analogy hiding there. 😎( ducks for cover ) 

I see it as more of a squeaky-wheel-gets-the-grease possibility. 

7 minutes ago, bluebell said:

So were the most of the things that are now under the women's tab.  

I’m not sure this is verifiable unless there’s a screen capture somewhere. 

But that’s beside the point. You said an inexperienced user would not know the adult section exists. I say such a user is apt to note it if it’s on the first screen he/she sees when opening the app.