Seriously No Politics ×

LDS Resources for Men and Women

Gospel Library 👉 Adults 👉 Men

Gospel Library 👉 Adults 👉 Women

Comments?

I'm reminded of some lyrics from one of my favorite songs.  (They're not "celestial," so I hope you'll forgive me if, normally, seeing this kind of thing posted on the Sabbath offends you [you're welcome to look away, ignore my post, et cetera]. ;))

So let it rock!  Let it roll! 

Let the Bible belt come and save my so-o-oul!

Hold onto sixteen as long as you can!

Changes come around real soon, make us women and men!

John Cougar Mellencamp, "Jack & Diane"

That is all.  I'm sorry I didn't make a substantive contribution to the thread.  Perhaps I will return after taking the opportunity to cogitate on it a bit. ;)

12 hours ago, rpn said:

Well, it is probably a guaranteed way to attract more eyes. 

How so?

Many people I know would immediately read both because they would want to know A) what can possibly justify a difference; and B) what someone at church headquarters deems for one and not the other; and C) how in the world anyone thought this was a good idea.    (I don't know that that visceral reaction occurs when things are put in the RS vs. EQ column generally.   But saying things in those categories is at least wholly within the stewardship of the EQP and the RSP.)

Edited by rpn
23 minutes ago, bluebell said:

This does not seem like a good idea.  

What’s the problem with it? It’s not obvious to me. 

Just seems like a way to organize curriculum content (there are other categories: Young Adults, Single Adults, Parents, New or Returning Members, Military Members) to make it easier for app users to find what they’re looking for. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
16 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

Gospel Library 👉 Adults 👉 Men

Gospel Library 👉 Adults 👉 Women

Comments?

Bernard, what’s your point with this thread? Right now it’s coming across to me as petty complaining, and that’s not at all like you, so I’m thinking there must be something beneath the surface that I’m not seeing. 

I've been overall happy with the various changes to the LDS Library app over time.  Yeah, the current selections under "men" is a bit silly.  Check back in a few months and see if it's less silly.

I'm a fan, for example, of the "Life Help" section, with helpful and relevant entries on self reliance, abuse, addiction, adoption, death, disabilities, divorce, education, employment, English learning, family, finances, grief, hope, media safety, mental health, physical health, pr0n, pregnant and single, preparedness, same-sex attraction, single-parent families, suicide, and transgender.    The church is doing a great job, IMO, of making it's best resources swiftly available to the "we have an app for that" culture.  

But yeah, the sparse men section is a tad silly.

2 minutes ago, ksfisher said:

Where would you put the resources that are in the Women's section then?

Where they were before?

My issue is twofold.  1)  Some of these things seem so forced and that can easily come off as condescending (Women and Family History??  Why does that tab exist?  Was there a number of tabs they were trying to hit?)

And 2) the men's section is laughable, even though many of the selections in the women's group also exist for men.  Why do a 'women and family history' tab but not a men and family history?  Why "the prophet speaks to women" but not "the prophet speaks to men"?  Where is the "Latter-day Saint mens" podcast? 

I'm not saying this is definitely a bad idea (maybe it'll end up being amazingly useful).  I'm only saying that it doesn't seem very well thought out, and, because the men's section seems completely phoned-in, could easily come off looking like the church thinks that women are hot messes who need the extra attention and guidance, while the men are doing just fine.

But, I'm hopeful that the men's section is simply incomplete and that when it's finished it will also include many wonderful resources that will help them to understand their roles better as well.  

10 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

What’s the problem with it? It’s not obvious to me. 

Just seems like a way to organize curriculum content (there are other categories: Young Adults, Single Adults, Parents, New or Returning Members, Military Members) to make it easier for app users to find what they’re looking for. 

Did you click on the men's section?  What curriculum content are they organizing for the men under there?

2 minutes ago, bluebell said:

But, I'm hopeful that the men's section is simply incomplete and that when it's finished it will also include many wonderful resources that will help them to understand their roles better as well.  

That’s the impression I got. You first set up the category, and then you populate it with content over time as seems needful or advisable. 

11 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Did you click on the men's section?  What curriculum content are they organizing for the men under there?

Did you read my subsequent post to you? Seems like your complaints are premature. 

But in response to your question, as a user looking for information on how to give a priesthood blessing, I might first go to the “men’s section,” where I would then be directed to the relevant part of the Church handbook. I would feel well-served as a user, as much so as if the content from the handbook were reproduced in the “men’s section.” 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
19 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

So it’s a way to direct people there who otherwise might not readily find it. How exactly is this a problem?

It’s not. I was thinking of that same point actually.

As far as I can tell, the only reason this is a topic is because someone thinks this is an issue of some sort. 

27 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Bernard, what’s your point with this thread? Right now it’s coming across to me as petty complaining, and that’s not at all like you, so I’m thinking there must be something beneath the surface that I’m not seeing. 

I am interested in comments. No complaints. It just seemed interesting to me. If I were to make a statement it would be that I’m glad to see so many resources for the sisters, but from personal experience I would like to see some for the brethren. We need support too.