Building My Library: Recommendations?

I am currently working on building my physical library. Right now, it is confined to a single bookshelf. Subjects that I am currently focusing on are the Gospel and Church history. In particular, I am working on getting what I can (slowly but surely) from the Joseph Smith Papers. I currently have the first two volumes of Saints. I of course have the Standard Works, have invested in Robert Alter's translation of Genesis (hope to get the rest of his translated works), and have Hugh Nibley's works and History of the Church on my list.

Do any of you have any recommendations of other books to invest in concerning the Gospel and Church history?

10 minutes ago, latterdaytemplar said:

I am currently working on building my physical library. Right now, it is confined to a single bookshelf. Subjects that I am currently focusing on are the Gospel and Church history. In particular, I am working on getting what I can (slowly but surely) from the Joseph Smith Papers. I currently have the first two volumes of Saints. I of course have the Standard Works, have invested in Robert Alter's translation of Genesis (hope to get the rest of his translated works), and have Hugh Nibley's works and History of the Church on my list.

Do any of you have any recommendations of other books to invest in concerning the Gospel and Church history?

I have at least $1500 worth of church related books. I’ll sale it all if you want. What are you looking for? 

51 minutes ago, Mike Drop said:

I have at least $1500 worth of church related books. I’ll sale it all if you want. What are you looking for? 

Wow! I'm not quite ready to buy yet; I'm currently saving up for another bookshelf and want to make a list of books to fill it over time. I appreciate the offer and, once I've made up my list, I'll reach out to you to see if you have what I'm looking for and if you're willing to part with them. In the meantime, what books in particular would you recommend?

2 hours ago, latterdaytemplar said:

While I have no recommendations I do have a request, whatever scholarly work comes out of your readings/research I'd love to see it if and when you do it.  I really appreciate the masonic insight you gave me into Joseph Smith and the LDS church, really I learned a lot from you and the threads you've started.  I've had conversations with SR friends who've done the master craftsmans course (part one I think?  Maybe a bit of 2?) and even they learned something.  Was really interesting to learn just how much Smith had on the craft, how he tried to keep it going down the drain and well, how the rest of blue lodge masonry in the USA went the route it did.  Went through Utah over to summer to visit some of moms old BYUH family, was kinda funny to hear them go on about some of the finer points of LDS history and the conspiracy theories they had of the craft.  I had to stop from chucking when we drove by the SR consistory downtown.  That building is gorgeous, you guys have it made.  Anyway, I'm staying tuned and wishing you the best of luck.

BTW, not to derail, seen the latest with YR?  

41 minutes ago, poptart said:

While I have no recommendations I do have a request, whatever scholarly work comes out of your readings/research I'd love to see it if and when you do it.  I really appreciate the masonic insight you gave me into Joseph Smith and the LDS church, really I learned a lot from you and the threads you've started.  I've had conversations with SR friends who've done the master craftsmans course (part one I think?  Maybe a bit of 2?) and even they learned something.  Was really interesting to learn just how much Smith had on the craft, how he tried to keep it going down the drain and well, how the rest of blue lodge masonry in the USA went the route it did.  Went through Utah over to summer to visit some of moms old BYUH family, was kinda funny to hear them go on about some of the finer points of LDS history and the conspiracy theories they had of the craft.  I had to stop from chucking when we drove by the SR consistory downtown.  That building is gorgeous, you guys have it made.  Anyway, I'm staying tuned and wishing you the best of luck.

BTW, not to derail, seen the latest with YR?  

Thanks, bud! I'll let you know whatever I come across. I hope to join SR here in the next couple of years, just depends on if we're actually opening an AMD chapter here first; but yeah, I've had my eye on those SR courses for quite some time.

I do enjoy hearing those conspiracy theories 🤣. You mentioned the SR consistory; are you referring to the Masonic Temple on South Temple Street? I agree that it's gorgeous; I've visited it three times now and I am awestruck every time that I go in. If you ever get a chance to have a tour, I very much recommend it.

I'm aware of what's going in YR. It's quite disappointing, to say the least. Hopefully it will not last for too long, whether via the GE correcting itself or via the special conclave that's being called. On a happier note, next month is our YR department conference and I plan on finishing the Leadership Training program there.

Richard L. Bushman (2007), Joseph Smith: Rough Stone Rolling, New York: Vintage.  https://deseretbook.com/p/joseph-smith-rough-stone-rolling-richard-l-bushman-5351?variant_id=104298-paperback

8 minutes ago, latterdaytemplar said:

Thanks, bud! I'll let you know whatever I come across. I hope to join SR here in the next couple of years, just depends on if we're actually opening an AMD chapter here first; but yeah, I've had my eye on those SR courses for quite some time.

I do enjoy hearing those conspiracy theories 🤣. You mentioned the SR consistory; are you referring to the Masonic Temple on South Temple Street? I agree that it's gorgeous; I've visited it three times now and I am awestruck every time that I go in. If you ever get a chance to have a tour, I very much recommend it.

I'm aware of what's going in YR. It's quite disappointing, to say the least. Hopefully it will not last for too long, whether via the GE correcting itself or via the special conclave that's being called. On a happier note, next month is our YR department conference and I plan on finishing the Leadership Training program there.

The SR stuff is really neat, if/when you get in I think you'll like what you see. 

Don't we all.  It's interesting hearing it from a member who's roots go back to the pioneers.  I get brownie points since I love what the church does, needless to say my father didn't (he really wasn't a nice guy.....).  It's interesting, no one really ever leaves the church it seems, her kids are all still active and while her deceased husband wasn't a member the church treated them with nothing but kindness.  Isn't that Masonic Temple SR?  Thought it was, pretty sure I saw some SR symbols outside.  

I know some people who are about to demit out because of it, for what they charge it's nothing but backstabby politics.  Really bad idea, you can do a google and find out just what's happening, it's like they don't care that their numbers are not only dwindling but also milleinals are so turned off by that.  Backstabby politics ends up making bitter enemies as well as creating consequences that can last for decades.  I'm starting to think it will, considering how many people are starting to just hate the YR and how priories in other countries are now threatening to do to the grand encampment what they've done to other templar orgs here.  Hoping you or someone on your side of things can fix this or at least get the ball rolling.  Maybe do something where the apron can be the main thing or do like the rest of the priories, cap and mantle.  I know some places allow it but again, politics.  That and do something about how they're trying to push for that affirmation of Christianity, I already have an idea how that may go and it makes me sick.  Good old Trinitarian favoritism, that already cost them dearly and far as I can tell the new people are trying it yet again.  This has to stop.

BTW, since you have an LDS library, have anything on the natives having alcohol?  Far as I can tell, they never did. They had psychadelics but not alcohol till Europeans showed up.  

On 9/17/2021 at 11:08 AM, latterdaytemplar said:

I have three bookcases full, but I don't think everyone needs to read everything available.

For building a library to start I think Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith by Joseph Fielding Smith is indispensable.  (Words of Joseph Smith by Ehat/Cook is a good alternative).
Rough Stone Rolling for a pretty definitive biography of Joseph.
As you mention History of the Church and certain Nibley titles are also good.

Others to consider:
House of The Lord by Talmage
Autobiography of Parley P. Pratt
Lectures on Faith
Discourses of Brigham Young by Widtsoe
a personal plug for Robinson's "Believing Christ" - the book that helped me finally understand faith, works, and the atonement.

Many of these are available for pennies on the dollar in every used bookstore in Utah.

On 9/17/2021 at 2:42 PM, poptart said:

The SR stuff is really neat, if/when you get in I think you'll like what you see. 

Don't we all.  It's interesting hearing it from a member who's roots go back to the pioneers.  I get brownie points since I love what the church does, needless to say my father didn't (he really wasn't a nice guy.....).  It's interesting, no one really ever leaves the church it seems, her kids are all still active and while her deceased husband wasn't a member the church treated them with nothing but kindness.  Isn't that Masonic Temple SR?  Thought it was, pretty sure I saw some SR symbols outside.  

I know some people who are about to demit out because of it, for what they charge it's nothing but backstabby politics.  Really bad idea, you can do a google and find out just what's happening, it's like they don't care that their numbers are not only dwindling but also milleinals are so turned off by that.  Backstabby politics ends up making bitter enemies as well as creating consequences that can last for decades.  I'm starting to think it will, considering how many people are starting to just hate the YR and how priories in other countries are now threatening to do to the grand encampment what they've done to other templar orgs here.  Hoping you or someone on your side of things can fix this or at least get the ball rolling.  Maybe do something where the apron can be the main thing or do like the rest of the priories, cap and mantle.  I know some places allow it but again, politics.  That and do something about how they're trying to push for that affirmation of Christianity, I already have an idea how that may go and it makes me sick.  Good old Trinitarian favoritism, that already cost them dearly and far as I can tell the new people are trying it yet again.  This has to stop.

BTW, since you have an LDS library, have anything on the natives having alcohol?  Far as I can tell, they never did. They had psychadelics but not alcohol till Europeans showed up.  

The temple in SLC was originally commissioned, built, and owned by the Grand Lodge F&AM of Utah. It was later sold to the local Masonic Temple Association; the Grand Lodge is a tenant there, as are various local lodges and appendant bodies. Its lodge rooms inside are all specifically built for the Craft degrees; SR degrees are often done in its auditorium (it has various backdrops on its stage that are over 100 years-old).

I don't have any literature in my physical library concerning alcohol among pre-Columbian indigenes of the Americas, but this is a good resource on the matter; most tribes and cultures did not use alcohol, but some did.

2 hours ago, JLHPROF said:

I have three bookcases full, but I don't think everyone needs to read everything available.

For building a library to start I think Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith by Joseph Fielding Smith is indispensable.  (Words of Joseph Smith by Ehat/Cook is a good alternative).
Rough Stone Rolling for a pretty definitive biography of Joseph.
As you mention History of the Church and certain Nibley titles are also good.

Others to consider:
House of The Lord by Talmage
Autobiography of Parley P. Pratt
Lectures on Faith
Discourses of Brigham Young by Widtsoe
a personal plug for Robinson's "Believing Christ" - the book that helped me finally understand faith, works, and the atonement.

Many of these are available for pennies on the dollar in every used bookstore in Utah.

Thank you!

Richard Lloyd Anderson (1981), Investigating the Book of Mormon Witnesses, Salt Lake City UT: Deseret Book.  https://deseretbook.com/p/investigating-book-mormon-witnesses-richard-l-anderson-5339?variant_id=104424-paperback

On 9/17/2021 at 2:24 PM, Kenngo1969 said:

Richard L. Bushman (2007), Joseph Smith: Rough Stone Rolling, New York: Vintage.  https://deseretbook.com/p/joseph-smith-rough-stone-rolling-richard-l-bushman-5351?variant_id=104298-paperback

On 9/21/2021 at 12:22 AM, Kenngo1969 said:

Richard Lloyd Anderson (1981), Investigating the Book of Mormon Witnesses, Salt Lake City UT: Deseret Book.  https://deseretbook.com/p/investigating-book-mormon-witnesses-richard-l-anderson-5339?variant_id=104424-paperback

Thanks! These are now on my list! 😄

Edited by latterdaytemplar

Comprehensive History of the Church (six volumes). Surprisingly, there are hardback and paperback sets available at decent prices. And, e-versions are available. 

Elder Roberts edited Documentary History of the Church (7 vols.), but CHC was written by him at the invitation of the American Historical Magazine for serialization. It goes from Joseph Smith's roots up until 1930, tackles tough subjects, and is outstanding. I think both of these are far superior to "Saints." 

On 9/24/2021 at 1:45 PM, rongo said:

Comprehensive History of the Church (six volumes). Surprisingly, there are hardback and paperback sets available at decent prices. And, e-versions are available. 

Elder Roberts edited Documentary History of the Church (7 vols.), but CHC was written by him at the invitation of the American Historical Magazine for serialization. It goes from Joseph Smith's roots up until 1930, tackles tough subjects, and is outstanding. I think both of these are far superior to "Saints." 

Awesome, thank you!

• 4 weeks later...

I second “Rough Stone Rolling” by Bushman.

I found Words of Joseph Smith on eBay for under $40. Be patient and get a good price because it’s out of print. 

if spirituality is of interest to you then I would recommend M. Catherine Thomas, Truman G. Madsen and F. Enzio Busche. Busche was a seventy so you can find general conference and BYU speeches by him. But his autobiography is killer. 

https://www.amazon.com/Light-Wilderness-Explorations-Spiritual-Life/dp/B001TI503E/ref=nodl_

https://www.amazon.com/Yearning-Living-God-Reflections-Busche/dp/1570089841/ref=sr_1_1?crid=K3W316WBV2X4&dchild=1&keywords=enzio+f+busche+yearning+for+the+living+god&qid=1634780971&qsid=136-8547130-3997114&s=books&sr=1-1&sres=1570089841%2CB08B315NWF&srpt=ABIS_BOOK