Moral Foundations Theory-based Messaging (Addendum to Closed COVID-19 Thread)

1 hour ago, Nofear said:

Honestly, I'm not sure what you are talking about. I don't know what you think I'm presuming. You can try to show me that I'm really saying this or that but I'm really mostly just confuzzled by your comments. Maybe your conflating my comments with another or something. Don't know, nor do I think it matters much. I'm not really trying to persuade anything. I was mostly just showing appreciation for CV75's approach. :)

I was mostly responding to this:

Liberals tend to prioritize care/harm above all else and conservatives are more equitably spread among the five pillars. 

You made it seem as if our values are simply different and that the liberal response to the pandemic is perhaps disproportionally giving weight to one set of values at the expense of all other values.  You make it sound like the conservative approach, on the other hand, is much more "equitable" in all the values.   I simply don't see this as true.  I see liberals as being equitable among the values listed in their response to the pandemic - and if you think conservatives are also equitable among those values, than perhaps we are not as far apart after all. 

If I misread you, maybe you can explain what you meant by that statement. 

Edited by pogi
56 minutes ago, pogi said:

I was mostly responding to this:

You made it seem as if our values are simply different and that the liberal response to the pandemic is perhaps disproportionally giving weight to one set of values at the expense of all other values.  You make it sound like the conservative approach, on the other hand, is much more "equitable" in all the values.   I simply don't see this as true.  I see liberals as being equitable among the values listed in their response to the pandemic - and if you think conservatives are also equitable among those values, than perhaps we are not as far apart after all. 

If I misread you, maybe you can explain what you meant by that statement. 

CV75 responded with the data suggesting greater weight on the pillars of care and fairness by liberals. Weighting those values of greater import doesn't mean the other values don't matter to them. No one is claiming that. It may inform how one responds if their is a perceived tension between the ideals. One will tend to bias the values one holds with more gravitas. Nothing groundbreaking with that comment.

OK I channeled my best William E. McClellan. Any visceral reactions to adding something like the following just before the last sentence of the First Presidency's recent message? I emphasize visceral because that is what the OP / thread topic intends to address.

We understand the fears and mistrust that so many experience concerning these protective measures. We invite and encourage all to walk together with us through these difficult times in what may be personally challenging ways.

For better context:

Dear Brothers and Sisters:

We find ourselves fighting a war against the ravages of COVID-19 and its variants, an unrelenting pandemic. We want to do all we can to limit the spread of these viruses. We know that protection from the diseases they cause can only be achieved by immunizing a very high percentage of the population.

To limit exposure to these viruses, we urge the use of face masks in public meetings whenever social distancing is not possible. To provide personal protection from such severe infections, we urge individuals to be vaccinated. Available vaccines have proven to be both safe and effective.

We can win this war if everyone will follow the wise and thoughtful recommendations of medical experts and government leaders. We understand the fears and mistrust that so many experience concerning these protective measures. We invite and encourage all to walk together with us through these difficult times in what may be personally challenging ways. Please know of our sincere love and great concern for all of God’s children.

@BlueDreams@Bernard Gui@Danzo@katherine the great@Kenngo1969 @MustardSeed @Nofear @pogi @Robert F. Smith@The Nehor Just bumping this last post once before it goes the way of the world! Thank you for your contributions thus far, and have a great weekend!

Edited by CV75