Ethnicity

I’ve never really thought about it, but I googled the question and came across a reference to this scripture in Revelations chapter 7 which suggests people will retain their ethnicity. 

9 After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands;
10 And cried with a loud voice, saying, Salvation to our God which sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb.

Edited by Peacefully
36 minutes ago, Peacefully said:

I’ve never really thought about it, but I googled the question and came across a reference to this scripture in Revelations chapter 7 which suggests people will retain their ethnicity. 

9 After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands;
10 And cried with a loud voice, saying, Salvation to our God which sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb.

Yup.  A rainbow of visages and tongues, unless of course we all go back to our African roots.  😎

8 hours ago, strappinglad said:

Will people retain their ethnicity in the resurrection?

Are there any scriptures that back your opinion ? 

If you mean holding on to the common national or cultural traditions of one's social group, sure, but there are probably better points to socialize upon (compare D&C 76:100, "These are they who say they are some of one and some of another..." with D&C 130:2, "And that same sociality which exists among us here will exist among us there, only it will be coupled with eternal glory, which glory we do not now enjoy.").

9 minutes ago, poptart said:

My fault. I was under the impression that Brigham Young said “ Why are so many of the inhabitants of the earth cursed with a skin of blackness? It comes in consequence of their fathers  rejecting the power of the holy priesthood, and the law of God. They will go down to death. And when all the rest of the children have received their blessings in the holy priesthood, then that curse will be removed from the seed of Cain”

If the curse (dark skin) is removed, does that mean they will be white again?

10 hours ago, strappinglad said:

Alma 40:23 "The soul shall be restored to the body, and the body to the soul; yea, and every limb and joint shall be restored to its body; yea, even a hair of the head shall not be lost; but all things shall be restored to their proper and perfect frame."

What proper and perfect frame means is pretty ambiguous. Are vestigial organs (like one's coccyx, but many more https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_vestigiality) proper and perfect (e.g. Can Pres. Monson still twitch his ears)?
And let's not be some earth centric in our thinking. Our earth is one of countless inhabited worlds.  Probably some are around stars of slightly different temperatures and hence different solar radiation and hence the planet's atmosphere could be different to protect. Melanin gives our skin our color but that coloration is pretty arbitrary. I could easily see a world where skin color variation is quite different, like blue or green. Or maybe not uniform like we see now. Put the pigmentation gene on the X chromosome and thinks look a lot different (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD6h-wDj7bw). Our fifth little toe is pretty pointless. Is that a must for everybody on all worlds?

Long story short... I don't know, but I'm going to keep a pretty open mind about it.

8 minutes ago, Mike Drop said:

My fault. I was under the impression that Brigham Young said “ Why are so many of the inhabitants of the earth cursed with a skin of blackness? It comes in consequence of their fathers  rejecting the power of the holy priesthood, and the law of God. They will go down to death. And when all the rest of the children have received their blessings in the holy priesthood, then that curse will be removed from the seed of Cain”

Imo, BY was incorrect about a few things, his delivery and opinions included. 

24 minutes ago, Mike Drop said:

So, here's my take.  It's not just you guys, Christianity period altered the flavor of their religion to wherever it went.  When it spread/was imposed upon the Germanics, they altered it a bit.  A bunch of warring people weren't too accepting of a pale carpenter on a Roman cross sooo....

Heliand - Wikipedia

Kinda sucks how you guys get picked on for the whole curse/mark of Cain thing, pretty much everyone else went along with it esp. during the days of slavery.  Since you guys didn't have the political power Protestants and later on Evangelicals had you were unfairly picked on.  All things considered, Mormons were not only tame in comparison, you also did more to help people.  My understanding is LDS charities went out of their way for POC, from the natives, Vietnamese refugees and others to this day.  

That and the whole "white" thing, what flavor of white?  WASP white?  Med white?  Technically a lot of the folks in the Middle East are Caucasian.  Something else, I have a funny feeling if folks do see Jesus they may well be a bit surprised when he doesn't look like the classical art of him portrays him as.  My background is pretty much Trinitarian, my understanding is you guys have the Celestial heaven of sorts.  If pic related does happen, the color of my skin/everyone elses would be the least of my worries. 

lastjudgment_wiki-678x375.jpg

Edited by poptart
11 hours ago, strappinglad said:

What do you mean by ethnicity? 

11 hours ago, strappinglad said:

ethnicity: the fact or state of belonging to a social group that has a common national or cultural tradition.

Um, you think maybe someday I can switch or change which social group I belong to, and came from?  How would I do that, maybe, do you think? If I decided I'd like to be Hispanic right now, instead of basic bland Caucasian, how might I do that?

If I could change my ethnicity somehow I probably would. And if I could switch at will from one to another at any time without having to settle on only one ethnicity forever and stay stuck with it, I would change frequently, I think, depending on my mood.

I know of no scripture which states I will be able to change, even only one time, so I suppose I will stay with the same social group I was born into and maybe just pick up some friends and other family members as I keep living my life.

9 minutes ago, Fether said:

Romanian

I wonder if becoming Romanian would make me shorter. or taller, or bigger, or smaller, or change my hair color, or eye color, or remove my beard, or make it bigger, or something?  I could maybe have a lot of fun by changing my ethnicity, frequently.

3 hours ago, Mike Drop said:

According to Mormon doctrine, shouldn’t we all be a white and delightsome people?

No. While I might put on an albino form for whatever passes for afterlife Halloween I don’t think it will be my daily wear. As to delightsome I hope not because I am rather ornery.

And taking a discussion of skin coloration in this life from one specific instance and generalizing it to eternity is provincial and stupid.

26 minutes ago, strappinglad said:

We know that " All dogs go to heaven " but will they all look the same ? Will they be distinguishable as Mexican hairless, German shepherds, Irish wolfhounds etc.? 

If Misty and King and LuLu and Katie (our current pup) don't look like how I knew and know they looked when they lived with me then I would probably not think they were the same dogs.  Unknown dogs running up to lick me would not do it for me.

2 hours ago, strappinglad said:

We know that " All dogs go to heaven " but will they all look the same ? Will they be distinguishable as Mexican hairless, German shepherds, Irish wolfhounds etc.? 

So by this I think you mean more biological distinctions (hair color, face/body shape, skin tone, etc) as opposed to cultural/social distinctions (which is closer to ethnicity). 

I'd break this down to 2 parts:

Will we have distinctive features from each other? This I would assume is a solid yes. I base this on the fact that nature and this earth is a reflection of God. Creation in essence reflects God's will. And creation is inherently diverse and interconnected. So I don't view being "perfected" to mean being the same in looks but rather having ourselves be made into the perfect manifestation of the light we were given.  

Will we place the same meaning on said distinctive features? This I would assume the answer is no. I base this on the fact that our assumptions about who we are based on what we look like aren't God's interpretation of us, but the world's. Race is literally our social interpretation on physical features that we deem important. Being mixed is an odd window into just how transient those markers are. They are contextual and based on their social assumptions around race. These can be fairly innocuous, like assuming a cultural affinity i don't have (usually varying countries/ethnicities I don't have even a remote connection to because I'm speaking spanish, my married name, or because of my spouse), assuming I would be "good" at things I'm not, or would feel a sense of connection to things that assume all "xyz" people like. Some are more limiting or uncomfortable and in the wrong context could limit my choices based on split assumptions about capacity or risk. I have watched people flip scripts in their heads to better match what they assume about me as they've gained new info about me. This meaning isn't of God...it's what we put on ourselves and others. So I can't see how those will fully stay or maintain the same significance we hold now.

Culturally I don't think there is a perfect or even "more perfect" culture on this earth right now. We will all go through a transition and this will likely change both how we see ourselves but also how we see and understand others.  

With luv,

BD