Jump to content

Burkas, modesty rhetoric and where do we go from here


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Yeah, I could just melt into his arms.

Wait, what were we talking about?

Dang! I didn't know you were from Californica!

Do them Mormons hassle you a lot about house prices?

It's the first known invasion of rich refugees known to mankind!

Link to comment
2 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

Oh nay nay.  I am definitely not a Utah resident. 

Oops!

Link to comment
46 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

I haven’t lived in California in a long time.

It was, apparently, a rather cryptic joke that didn't make it off the ground. 🤔

Link to comment

In this article women share the age when they were first sexualized and how the experience made them feel.  For those who care to understand the kind of world that women in live in and how these experiences impact us for decades, this is a good resource.

Warning, a few of the quotes use overtly sexual language.

Link to comment
6 hours ago, bluebell said:

In this article women share the age when they were first sexualized and how the experience made them feel.  For those who care to understand the kind of world that women in live in and how these experiences impact us for decades, this is a good resource.

Warning, a few of the quotes use overtly sexual language.

Those stories are very sad to read. I think it would be important for men/boys to understand how young girls hear and interpret these comments. 

Edited by bsjkki
Link to comment
On 8/29/2021 at 7:36 AM, bluebell said:

In this article women share the age when they were first sexualized and how the experience made them feel.  For those who care to understand the kind of world that women in live in and how these experiences impact us for decades, this is a good resource.

Warning, a few of the quotes use overtly sexual language.

I am pretty sure nearly 100% of women have had something like this happen to them, maybe multiple times. 

Link to comment
59 minutes ago, bluebell said:

I agree.

The first time I was catcalled I was 10.

I can’t remember when, but I assume it was when I was a teen. By 15 or 16 I had a healthy leeriness around truck drivers and construction sites especially. There seemed to be a higher likelihood of something uncomfortable happening with the subsets for whatever reason.

with luv, 

BD

Link to comment

My first exposure was when I was 5 or 6 or ? A neighbor teen boy sat me on his bed and pulled out his you know what. As a child I didn't think too much about it, but he and his younger brother did traumatize the girls around the neighborhood with their terribleness.

One night we got back from Lagoon and we girls were getting ready for bed and all the sudden we see these boys' faces in our window. The younger brother, not the one that exposed himself, apologized at another neighbor's funeral just a few years ago at a luncheon at a ward church with my sister and dad sitting there. Which was pretty brave, and I forgive him. 

Then later had an old man expose himself, but that's another story. 

So for a long time I didn't know how it really did affect me. The catcalls were consistent while walking to work in downtown SLC. It all accumulates, these feelings. 

Edited by Tacenda
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Tacenda said:

My first exposure was when I was 5 or 6 or ? A neighbor teen boy sat me on his bed and pulled out his you know what. As a child I didn't think too much about it, but he and his younger brother did traumatize the girls around the neighborhood with their terribleness.

One night we got back from Lagoon and we girls were getting ready for bed and all the sudden we see these boys' faces in our window. The younger brother, not the one that exposed himself, apologized at another neighbor's funeral just a few years ago at a luncheon at a ward church with my sister and dad sitting there. Which was pretty brave, and I forgive him. 

Then later had an old man expose himself, but that's another story. 

So for a long time I didn't know how it really did affect me. The catcalls were consistent while walking to work in downtown SLC. It all accumulates, these feelings. 

You could always move to Afghanistan,  those dirty western boys have all left according to #46.

P.S the Taliban said Kabul airport will be open for normal travel. 

Edited by rodheadlee
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, rodheadlee said:

You could always move to Afghanistan,  those dirty western boys have all left according to #46.

P.S the Taliban said Kabul airport will be open for normal travel. 

Women are sexually abused and assaulted just as much in places without 'western boys'.  

Link to comment
1 hour ago, bluebell said:

Women are sexually abused and assaulted just as much in places without 'western boys'.  

So I guess modest dress doesn't really change anything right?

P.S Here is a tip. It's not what you wear it's how you wear it.

Edited by rodheadlee
Link to comment
17 minutes ago, rodheadlee said:

So I guess modest dress doesn't really change anything right?

P.S Here is a tip. It's not what you wear it's how you wear it.

So, what I hear you saying is that if women just wouldn't wear clothes a certain way, then they would never be sexually assaulted.  Is that what you are saying?

Link to comment
16 minutes ago, bluebell said:

So, what I hear you saying is that if women just wouldn't wear clothes a certain way, then they would never be sexually assaulted.  Is that what you are saying?

Nothing is ever that certain there are evil people everywhere. Saying that the way a woman carries herself matters more than what she is wearing. 

Link to comment
50 minutes ago, rodheadlee said:

Nothing is ever that certain there are evil people everywhere. Saying that the way a woman carries herself matters more than what she is wearing. 

So if a woman doesn’t carry herself the “right way, she’s asking to be assaulted?

Link to comment
12 minutes ago, Raingirl said:

So if a woman doesn’t carry herself the “right way, she’s asking to be assaulted?

Why are you all taking the worse case scenario from my meager words? I give up. NO ONE SHOULD BE ASSAULTED. I've suppose you never heard the term Shake Your Money Maker or bedroom eyes. My wife could wear a sheet and look like a Motab member or she could wear the same sheet and look like a sex symbol ready for a night in the rack.

I'll just shut up now. 

Link to comment
8 hours ago, Raingirl said:

So if a woman doesn’t carry herself the “right way, she’s asking to be assaulted?

Absolutely not. That being said, there actually has been some research on how criminals identify potential targets, and body language is one of the cues they take into consideration when selecting victims (see, e.g., here).

 

Link to comment
13 hours ago, rodheadlee said:

My wife could wear a sheet and look like a Motab member or she could wear the same sheet and look like a sex symbol ready for a night in the rack.

Rod, perhaps you could explain if you believe doing the latter would raise her risk of being assaulted or not.  Serious question as you may be trying to say one thing but it is coming out in a way that implies something else.

Link to comment
On 8/30/2021 at 7:59 PM, rodheadlee said:

You could always move to Afghanistan,  those dirty western boys have all left according to #46.

P.S the Taliban said Kabul airport will be open for normal travel. 

I think what rodheadlee is trying to convey is western men have gone above and beyond men of other countries such as Afghanistan, China, North Korea and African countries when it comes to protecting women  on a personal level and through pro women legislation. Western men should be seen as heroes for fighting for the rights of women around the world. 

Link to comment
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...