Seriously No Politics ×

Matchmaking agency

poptart

Curious if anyone's ever used or know someone who has used a matchmaking agency.  I'm considering it in a few years, there's a number of them in Hawaii and I think California.  It's more up front and I'd hopefully get a spouse from a background I'm more familiar with.

53 minutes ago, poptart said:

Curious if anyone's ever used or know someone who has used a matchmaking agency.  I'm considering it in a few years, there's a number of them in Hawaii and I think California.  It's more up front and I'd hopefully get a spouse from a background I'm more familiar with.

BYUs operate somewhat on that level for Saints. 

Should Studio C, VocalPoint, or someone else involved in performance at (or affiliated with) BYU do a rendition of "Matchmaker" from Fiddler on the Roof?  (As "President Johnson" told "Forrest Gump" when the latter told the former where he was hit, "I think I'd like to see that!")  Crap! :huh:  Now I have to get the scene of Forrest mooning President Johnson out of my head.  Any suggestions? ;)

7 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Very impressive, even if pricey.  They appear to do a tight background check.

You get what you pay for.   It's not uncommon for some fly by night agency to hook someone up with a violent partner or someone who just wants to fleece you.  In Japan omiai (arrangement services) are time honored, it's very much treated like an arrangement of sorts.  Very different from the USA.   Also these arrangements do tend to be successful, much more so than what I've seen here in the mainland. 

On 8/14/2021 at 2:35 PM, poptart said:

That is one of moms regrets, her life would have been so much better if she married a member.  

I'm kind of hesitant to date a member. I'm kind of disillusioned with the wards here. If someone found the same wards uplifting, I figure I'd be a drag on them.

23 minutes ago, poptart said:

Why are you disillusioned?

(Mostly speaking about the ward I just moved from.) They don't do much of anything. Few to no service projects (except moves).  Members fight hard to not interact with the community (except when stake directed otherwise).

Sundays we show up. Sacrament. Listen to talks. Listen to instruction. Go home.

I evangelize the Church. But I've no motivation to convert someone I know locally because they'd be part of my ward and - I don't actually want that for someone I care about.

Note that (aft 30y) I've moved one ward up. I attended one sacrament meeting. Folks seemed fairly disconnected but it was one Sunday and it was during a pandemic. I'm sure it's too early to tell if I can find a place here.

Edited by Chum
31 minutes ago, poptart said:

Why are you disillusioned?

One of my new sisters has long been resistant to Christianity and we could lump the Church in with that. But over the last four years I've been sharing the Church with her, warts and all and her opinion is quite positive now.  I feel an unfiltered portrayal of the Church better allowed the Church to testify of itself.

All this to emphasize that it is not the Church itself I am disillusioned with.

On 8/16/2021 at 8:58 AM, Robert F. Smith said:

My lovely present wife and I found each other on LDSSingles.com.

I hadn't heard of any of these others.

And then I had a look at latterdaymatchmakers.com and OMG!!! There's a Free option, but to get into their VIP Matchmaking (Men) it costs... wait for it... $6,000 per month!!! Holy cow!

Edited by Stargazer
2 hours ago, Stargazer said:

My lovely present wife and I found each other on LDSSingles.com.

I hadn't heard of any of these others.

And then I had a look at latterdaymatchmakers.com and OMG!!! There's a Free option, but to get into their VIP Matchmaking (Men) it costs... wait for it... $6,000 per month!!! Holy cow!

Considering how well off some LDS families are I'm surprised this stuff isn't pushed more.  Here's the thing, people want someone on equal footing.  Can go back and forth all you like about muh judgement but there it is.  Add in how you guys really do tend to have better families that  a lot of people especially stateside and yeah, I'd be even more fickle and paranoid.  Also take a good look at contemporary us society and our family courts.  People used to joke about the UK and Europe for being "liberal" With that stuff, shoes on the other foot.  I've had to suffer enough, no way would I allow some of the racist political trash people near mom and what's left of the good family, getting screwed over as badly as I was for such a long time did it for me. I'll take a matchmaking agency and pay the price.  I'll say it again, you get what you pay for.