Seriously No Politics ×

Name removal then rejoining-baptism?

Duncan

If you had your name removed from the Church and then wanted to re-join, do you need to get baptized again? I was under the impression that you needed to have a talk with the Stake President and then he would re admit you back in but you didn't need to get re baptized

Yes, you are rebaptized and reconfirmed to get the Holy Ghost. Men can be reconfirmed to their priesthood office as well as long as they have not been endowed.

For both men and women who are endowed It is almost always a year later after the baptism that people who were endowed can receive a Restoration of Blessings blessing that restores all temple blessings (and previous Priesthood office if applicable). The person does not keep the office of Bishop, Seventy, or Patriarch (they would be a High Priest). It is not clear what happens if they are an apostle but that is not something anyone outside of the First Presidency and the Twelve would have to decide on.

32.16.2 https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/general-handbook/32-repentance-and-membership-councils?lang=eng&para=358-367#p358

The most current handbook says nothing about retaking the missionary lessons, doesn't allow rebaptism for at least one year for adults, and requires interviews by bishops and in some cases membership councils for conduct before or after removal of name  before rebaptism.   And it is at least one year after rebaptism before priesthood and temple blessings are eligible to be considered for restoration. 

Whatever the procedure for returning to status quo (and I hope to have no reason ever to find out personally, or to have to be involved in the process in any other way, like as a leader [not that there's any danger of that happening :rolleyes: <_<]), it's probably a big pain in the oonka toonka.*

* I don't speak fluent Canadian, you understand, just a word here and a phrase there.  On a more serious note, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints probably should make rejoining under such circumstances at least moderately difficult, so as to impress upon the person desiring to rejoin that the decision to disaffiliate oneself from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is not one that should be taken (or that should have been taken) lightly.  My $0.02, actual value much less.  Your mileage may vary.  Offer not valid in all areas.  Void where prohibited.  See local retailer for details.

P.S.: Actually, my personal opinion (for whatever that's worth :rolleyes: <_<) is that whether it's required "officially" or not, requiring (or at least suggesting) the missionary discussions before rebaptism isn't a half-bad idea: It provides the once-and-future member an opportunity to reflect upon his or her covenants, and what they should have meant to the person before he or she requested name removal.

Edited by Kenngo1969
On 8/8/2021 at 8:15 PM, Duncan said:

If you had your name removed from the Church and then wanted to re-join, do you need to get baptized again? I was under the impression that you needed to have a talk with the Stake President and then he would re admit you back in but you didn't need to get re baptized

This may have been answered already, but see below. copy/paste from General Handbook.

I understand that after being rebaptized/confirmed, the membership record will reflect the original baptism/confirmation dates, and I believe that is the case for priesthood ordinations as well -- a previously non-endowed person can be ordained to this previous office as soon as he is baptized, though a previously-endowed man must wait to receive the Restoration of Blessings ordinance, whereupon all except bishop, seventy and patriarch offices are restored.

Being Readmitted after Resigning Church Membership

If a person formally resigns Church membership, he or she must be baptized and confirmed to be readmitted into the Church. For adults, readmission is not usually considered until at least one year after resigning membership.

When a person requests readmission, the bishop or stake president obtains a copy of the Report of Administrative Action form that accompanied the request for resignation. He can obtain this through LCR.

The bishop or stake president then interviews the person thoroughly. He asks about the reasons for the original request and the desire for readmission. In a spirit of love, he asks about serious sins the person may have committed either before or after resigning membership. The leader does not proceed with readmission until he is satisfied that the person has repented and is ready and worthy to enjoy the blessings of Church membership.

Guidelines for readmission after resignation follow:

• A membership council is held if the person’s membership was formally restricted at the time of resignation.

• A membership council is held if the person committed a serious sin, including apostasy, before resigning membership.

In other circumstances, a membership council is not held unless the bishop or stake president determines that it would be needed.

When a membership council is necessary for a person who had received the temple endowment, the stake president holds it. When a council is necessary for a person who was not endowed, the bishop holds it, with approval from the stake president.

If the person engaged in any of the conduct in 32.16.1, number 9, either before or after resigning Church membership, First Presidency approval is required for readmission. If the person engaged in any of the conduct in 32.14.5, number 1, either before or after resigning membership, an annotation will be made on the membership record.

A person who requests readmission must meet the same qualifications as others who are baptized. When the bishop or stake president is satisfied that the person is worthy and sincere in wanting to be readmitted, the person may be baptized and confirmed. A Baptism and Confirmation Certificate is not created (see 32.14.4).