Seriously No Politics ×

Covid cases, hospitalizations, death trends and other touchy subjects…

7 hours ago, Calm said:

That is likely true. But if we never tried to encourage behaviour except if it was perfect, we would all be couch potatoes. 

If we use the Gospel as an analogy, the Lord judges us not by how well he could do something, but by how well we can.

And as a teacher, I assume you also wanted kids to at least try rather than give up if they couldn’t be sure to get it perfect?  To not let fear of failure prevent them from even starting. Modeling your own good behaviour and encouraging their not so good efforts as they came closer and closer over time to best behaviour?  Or did you criticize kids that were not able to hit the right note from the beginning?  

Of course. I have not said otherwise. I think the folks with the influence could and should do a better job when it comes to masks. Do you think they are the top of their game? Since this is couched as a life or death issue, I think they should be. By that I mean being more consistent in their words and deeds.

I believe you know the answer to those questions. 

Edited by Bernard Gui
1 hour ago, Bernard Gui said:

Sorry. I should have pressed the sarcasm key. 

How many of your posts have been sarcasm?  I am wondering if misunderstanding those posts has led to confusion on your position. 

24 minutes ago, Calm said:

How many of your posts have been sarcasm?  I am wondering if misunderstanding those posts has led to confusion on your position. 

Good observation. Sister Gui sometimes says people don’t know when I am kidding or being a wise guy. I should be more careful. 

Do you disagree with my response…

I think the folks with the influence could and should do a better job when it comes to masks. Do you think they are the top of their game? Since this is couched as a life or death issue, I think they should be. By that I mean being more consistent in their words and deeds.

Edited by Bernard Gui
59 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

Oy! Old school education. When I voiced a pun on one of his comments, Mister Grosnek (8th grade geography) drew a small chalk circle on the blackboard and told me to stand with my nose in it for the rest of the period. I survived. I still love to make puns.🙂

Edited by Bernard Gui
16 hours ago, Chum said:

I especially like the part where countless individual journalists are raising concerns about folks taking unapproved meds & swamping poison control centers - not because these things are universally distressing but because numerous Rx companies are acting with one brain and exerting direct control the content of their reporting.

Like the debunked Rolling Stone article?  I'd like to see how many are actually calling the poison control centers.  "Swamping" probably means a few people calling, it being exaggerated in the reporting, and then other media/social media hype and further exaggeration.

Good observation. Sister Gui sometimes says people don’t know when I am kidding or being a wise guy. I should be more careful. 

I have never hidden my opinion that American leaders starting from the very top majorly screwed up with the pandemic.  At times it came across as they couldn’t do worse if they tried.

I really can’t tell Bernard where you honestly stand.  It seems to me that perhaps you find regulations in WA to be nonsense.  I think you find it to be nonsense because it’s ill informed. 

If your governor was insisting on N95 and the correct way of wearing them, would you be more supportive of the mask mandates?  If business signs on doors requested n95 be worn tightly in face and schools required the same, would we be more consistent with the level of danger we are dealing with? 

I tend to assume that anti maskers are all the same, calling for less stringent measures.  Less government.  Sounds like instead you are saying “hey, this is serious. We are doing it wrong.  Let’s start over and educate people better and provide more effective mask wearing and do more, not less” 

Am I correct in my understanding? If so, you and I think alike.

It would be nice to make the N95 masks better looking, people can be vain, me!

16 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

It would be nice to make the N95 masks better looking, people can be vain, me!

KF94 from Korea. I find them very comfortable and they don't have the beak. I use them when I have to wear a mask or can't socially distance in low ventilation places. I think a lot of mask wearing is theater. If I'm going to wear a mask, I now wear one that is proven to help me and others. Also, I wear glasses and don't having the same level of fogging issues with them.

Edited by bsjkki
20 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

KF94 from Korea. I find them very comfortable and they don't have the beak. I use them when I have to wear a mask or can't socially distance in low ventilation places. I think a lot of mask wearing is theater. If I'm going to wear a mask, I now wear one that is proven to help me and others. Also, I wear glasses and don't having the same level of fogging issues with them.

Yes.

12 hours ago, Rain said:

I'll answer.  No.

But I also wouldn't put someone in a car with the assurance that there was a 95% chance they wouldn't get into a crash.  Just thinking of myself that means I would be in a crash on average every 2-3 weeks.

The 26% mask stat doesn't really work with your question. The question that would apply is "if you could decrease the chances by 26% they would get in a wreck would you do it?"

Then let's try it this way. If you had two cars, one with 26% decrease and one with 90%, would you use the 26% or advise others to? Would you be culpable, given both cars were available, if they randomly picked the 26% and had a deadly outcome? 

44 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

21 minutes ago, Robert J Anderson said:

Yes.

But it need not be for you Robert. 

44 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

I really can’t tell Bernard where you honestly stand.  It seems to me that perhaps you find regulations in WA to be nonsense.  I think you find it to be nonsense because it’s ill informed. 

If your governor was insisting on N95 and the correct way of wearing them, would you be more supportive of the mask mandates?  If business signs on doors requested n95 be worn tightly in face and schools required the same, would we be more consistent with the level of danger we are dealing with? 

I tend to assume that anti maskers are all the same, calling for less stringent measures.  Less government.  Sounds like instead you are saying “hey, this is serious. We are doing it wrong.  Let’s start over and educate people better and provide more effective mask wearing and do more, not less” 

Am I correct in my understanding? If so, you and I think alike.

Yes! That is what we have been saying and the minute there is any objection to "wear a mask, any mask, useless or not" it is assumed that we are anti-mask. It's bizarre that so many don't want to improve chances by any means possible at the same time cases are rising. (Which has to be, if people are wearing masks, because the masks are not filtering or worn incorrectly.)

30 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

I have seen so many complaints about glasses fogging and rather than saying, hey!, if your glasses are fogging your mask isn't working they are given tips on how to prevent it....like rubbing glasses with soap. 

We don't have to go to N95s, KN95s are readily available although you have to be careful what brands you buy. I wore mine on a plane and it was quite comfortable...and I did have to book it to the connecting flight. (If you complain about the SLC airport, try Minneapolis.)  I like that it has a beak because I don't huff and puff as much as in a cloth mask that gets sucked into my mouth. The disadvantage of the 95s is they can't be washed so it's more costly if you need one everyday.

4 minutes ago, juliann said:

Yes! That is what we have been saying and the minute there is any objection to "wear a mask, any mask, useless or not" it is assumed that we are anti-mask. It's bizarre that so many don't want to improve chances by any means possible at the same time cases are rising. (Which has to be, if people are wearing masks, because the masks are not filtering or worn incorrectly.)

I have seen so many complaints about glasses fogging and rather than saying, hey!, if your glasses are fogging your mask isn't working they are given tips on how to prevent it....like rubbing glasses with soap. 

We don't have to go to N95s, KN95s are readily available although you have to be careful what brands you buy. I wore mine on a plane and it was quite comfortable...and I did have to book it to the connecting flight. (If you complain about the SLC airport, try Minneapolis.)  I like that it has a beak because I don't huff and puff as much as in a cloth mask that gets sucked into my mouth. The disadvantage of the 95s is they can't be washed so it's more costly if you need one everyday.

Just an FYI, KF94 also provide space and are stiff enough that I found talking and breathing easier because they don't get 'sucked in.' I was really surprised because I actually prefer them over surgical masks. Can we at least acknowledge surgical masks work better than cloth and they are super accessible and cheap? It's a very low bar to hit. With all this government pandemic money, schools could hand new ones out daily.

*I do believe mask wearing in elementary school has not been proven scientifically to help at all. I am more with the WHO on children and masks. https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/q-a-children-and-masks-related-to-covid-19

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/08/the-science-of-masking-kids-at-school-remains-uncertain.html

Edited by bsjkki
3 minutes ago, Teancum said:

What in imposition it is to wear a mask.  🤔

Which is a prime example of how people respond if someone discloses that we are not being protected well by most of the masks we have been told to wear when there are much much better masks available. 

1 minute ago, bsjkki said:

Just an FYI, KF94 also provide space and are stiff enough that I found talking and breathing easier because they don't get 'sucked in.' I was really surprised because I actually prefer them over surgical masks. Can we at least acknowledge surgical masks work better than cloth and they are super accessible and cheap? It's a very low bar to hit. With all this government pandemic money, schools could hand new ones out daily.

I think the tested surgical masks were the ones with double ties, though. 

The only thing I didn't like about the kn95 was it made my face crinkle on the sides. LOL

But what a concept, eh? A mask that doesn't gape and fits so tightly it puts pressure your skin. Who would have thought that might prevent stuff from getting in or out and actually do what a mask is designed to do?