Seriously No Politics ×

Covid III: Delta Force

An interesting Article in the Journal Today

https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-19-herd-provincetown-mayo-delta-mask-mandate-vaccine-passport-cdc-mucosal-immunity-11629128219?st=3rh1rk5xi915brr&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

Anyway, It talks about the difference between Internal Immunity and Mucosal immunity. Internal immunity is what protects most of the internal organs, mucosal immunity occurs in the upper respiratory tract. According to the author, the injection of the vaccine protects the organs against serious disease, but it doesn't do as good of job providing mucosal immunity, hence the ablility to still get infected in the upper respiratory tract and infect others. 

Interesting read. 

22 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

Yes. Aren’t they recommending for at risk groups 8 months after 2nd shot? Might not be soon enough.

A lot depends on the individual, so to get a good number for most, probably need significant numbers of tests. A doctor friend was just reciting everything that could impact vaccine reactions (context was reluctance to take vaccine for personal medical issues, he was quite provax, said the mRNA vaccines have tons less issues than other kinds) and the list was rather long (medications, lifestyle, genetics, medical history….life).  May have been discussed here too. Had several doctor visits and another venue discussing the latest in depth…and it is all blurring together. 

I would not be surprised to hear the more vulnerable groups need it sooner than the general population…that is just a guess though since I haven’t a clue about how everything interacts to affect it, just that it does. 

198=6 and a half months…boosters twice a year. That is going to be a hard sell if side effects keep happening, I am guessing. Hopefully that is too low.  Or they get a new delivery system and over time less sensitivity with the side effects. 

Hamba, did you have issues with the second shot?

Edited by Calm
1 minute ago, Calm said:

A lot depends on the individual, so to get a good number for most, probably need significant numbers of tests. A doctor friend was just reciting everything that could impact vaccine reactions and the list was rather long (medications, lifestyle, genetics, medical history….life).  I would not be surprised to hear the more vulnerable groups need it sooner than the general population. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9900075/Sources-US-recommend-COVID-vaccine-boosters-8-months.html

3568228A-5C2B-4C50-BAC9-F7645441F365.jpeg

Ugh…

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/wildfire-smoke-linked-covid-19-cases-and-deaths-west-180978450/

Not the least bit surprising, but feels like more really bad timing. 2020 felt like a shock, but honestly 2021 seems like there everything is combining into one major disaster (I would explain, but goes quickly political). On their own, still tragedies for many, but together resources are so stretched had to see workable solutions. 

Edited by Calm
8 hours ago, Calm said:

Ugh…

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/wildfire-smoke-linked-covid-19-cases-and-deaths-west-180978450/

Not the least bit surprising, but feels like more really bad timing. 2020 felt like a shock, but honestly 2021 seems like there everything is combining into one major disaster (I would explain, but goes quickly political). On their own, still tragedies for many, but together resources are so stretched had to see workable solutions. 

I had read about that study in the San Francisco newspaper. Do we need more bad news? Sometimes, it is all just too much. 

21 hours ago, bsjkki said:

Looks like September 20 is the date.

It will be available for anyone who had their primary series at least 8 months ago, so that will mostly include health care workers and the elderly, at first.  

https://www.ksl.com/article/50225327/us-to-start-offering-covid-19-vaccine-booster-doses-in-september

Some Texas hospitals are implementing ethics panels to decide who gets priority treatment. There was a memo issued by one group to prioritize treatment of the vaccinated over the unvaccinated (as one of many factors to consider) but it has been partially walked back. Other states in the South are facing similar problems.

6 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Almost certainly not the first but a man in Oregon died while waiting for an ICU bed to become available.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/oregon-man-dies-covid-hospital-163626958.html

There have been other deaths. There are reports of people dying even though they are already hospitalized because they can’t get a bed in the appropriate specialized unit or hospital, so can’t get access to the care and equipment needed to treat them. 

Oregon is in the worst shape it’s been in since the start of the pandemic. And my employer is still pushing forward with plans to re-open in a couple of weeks. 

9 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Almost certainly not the first but a man in Oregon died while waiting for an ICU bed to become available.

Here's another one, from Texas. ( watched it last night.)

The hospital staff has lost many people to COVID that were relatives to others on the staff.

“A nurse, a sonographer and one of our physicians all lost someone either Saturday or Sunday to COVID. The youngest was 21, the oldest was 38,” McCabe explained.

Just last week, it hit home for [Dr] Squyres.

“I lost my brother on Saturday. We waited five days for an ICU bed and it never happened,” Squyres said fighting back tears.

He says his brother Josh got the best care that was available to him at the time. He wasn’t at Goodall Witcher but McCabe says they were trying to make room for him before he passed.

“I have no way of knowing if an ICU bed would have saved him,” Squyres said. “But he’s not the only one, there are so many others.”

One of my American friends works at KGW in Oregon. A camera crew was actually allowed into the ICU at the Oregon Health & Science University. Here's their report.

I've looked and looked for calm's post about how it might help if people could get a glance inside an ICU, but I couldn't find it. Please repost in the correct thread if useful.

Edited by Hamba Tuhan
1 hour ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

One of my American friends works at KGW in Oregon. A camera crew was actually allowed into the ICU at the Oregon Health & Science University. Here's their report.

I've looked and looked for calm's post about how it might help if people could get a glance inside an ICU, but I couldn't find it. Please repost in the correct thread if useful.

Powerful report.

OHSU has wonderful doctors. The neurologist who is heading the MS clinical study I am in is on staff there. 

I’ve previously mentioned the friend who worked in a Covid ICU in New York at the beginning of the pandemic. Her reports brought home the stark reality of Covid. That people deny this reality is mind-boggling and infuriating. 

I had to stop watching a particular family on YouTube. Dads a pastor. Mom was once a nurse. 10 kids with #11 on the way. They have not masked, social distanced or vaccinated. The whole family recently got very sick. They were pretty sure they had Covid, but refused to be tested! Claimed their physician advised that. The family proceeded to go on vacation while actively sick. Grandparents in Florida (with whom there had been regular and recent visits) were also sick. Members of their congregation got sick. Their behavior is so appalling that I can’t even find the words. 

38 minutes ago, Raingirl said:

Powerful report.

OHSU has wonderful doctors. The neurologist who is heading the MS clinical study I am in is on staff there. 

I’ve previously mentioned the friend who worked in a Covid ICU in New York at the beginning of the pandemic. Her reports brought home the stark reality of Covid. That people deny this reality is mind-boggling and infuriating. 

I had to stop watching a particular family on YouTube. Dads a pastor. Mom was once a nurse. 10 kids with #11 on the way. They have not masked, social distanced or vaccinated. The whole family recently got very sick. They were pretty sure they had Covid, but refused to be tested! Claimed their physician advised that. The family proceeded to go on vacation while actively sick. Grandparents in Florida (with whom there had been regular and recent visits) were also sick. Members of their congregation got sick. Their behavior is so appalling that I can’t even find the words. 

Could you provide a link to the YouTube channel?

On 8/16/2021 at 10:20 PM, Calm said:

I wonder if it would help if we could to get waivers from as many family members and patients and workers to film a documentary. I get why they don’t, but extraordinary needs and I would be shocked if they didn’t have volunteers….but I can see a hospital of being too afraid of being accused of taking advantaged of people in pain and then there is the long term image issue of a hospital getting labeled where they couldn’t handle covid. 

Once we got something like that, how many would assume that it was faked?

They blurred out all the patients here or otherwise blocked faces. It was a very respectful treatment. The staff is obviously emotionally invested and impacted. The usual stoically smiling nurses I am used to see are quite somber. 

https://www.kgw.com/mobile/video/news/health/coronavirus/what-its-like-inside-ohsus-icu-overwhelmed-by-covid-19-patients/283-ad41ecdf-a5ed-436e-9b0a-dce3a29f6a4f?jwsource=cl

Now we need one showing the consequences of working at capacity or worse for the nonCovid patients…maybe you are convinced Covid itself is no big deal, the odds are in your favour, but do you feel that way about everything else?

Get vaccinated. Get a good mask and wear it (preferably Kn95 or n95). If not in smoky areas, visit while outdoors. 

Edited by Calm
4 hours ago, Raingirl said:

Nope

Why not?  Shouldn't we put a spotlight on the bad behavior?  If this family is as you say, then showing their bad example would possibly help others to avoid their mistakes.  Perhaps some that view this site don't even realize that their similar behavior is so risky and uncouth.  Showing the bad example could perhaps be a teaching moment for these lost right-wingers.