Seriously No Politics ×

FBI investigating crash that killed two missionaries?

I am sure you all heard of the two missionaries killed in a crash a few days ago

FBI investigating crash that killed two missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

FARMINGTON, N.M. (ABC4) – Federal authorities are now investigating a New Mexico crash that killed two missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and seriously injured another.

A spokesperson with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints says the two young missionaries were serving in the New Mexico Farmington Mission.

MORE: Utah firefighters help battle nation’s largest wildfire 
Following the head-on collision Thursday afternoon, 20-year-old Elder Michael Austin Davis of Corinne, Utah, and 20-year-old Elder Tyson Gene Haycock of Miles City, Montana, both passed away due to injuries they sustained.

Elder Haycock’s missionary service had just begun a few weeks ago in June while Elder Davis has been serving since August 2019.

A third missionary, a 19-year-old from Idaho, was seriously injured in the crash.

MORE: SLC Police searching for driver who struck, critically injured man 
ABC4 affiliate KRQE reports the FBI is investigating the crash, which happened on the Navajo Nation.

The FBI has not yet released any details about the crash.

Earlier this month, the Church announced the passing of President José Maria Batalla of the Bolivia Cochabamba Mission. He had been battling COVID-19 for nearly two months when he suffered cardiac arrest.

NEXT: State limits American Fork business license following death of 11-year-old boy 
In May of this year, two missionaries – 18-year-old Elder Luke Masakazu Carter of Springville and 20-year-old Elder Eli Jon Fowler of Pueblo West, Colorado – were killed in a Texas crash. Weeks earlier, 21-year-old Elder Fernando Antonio Ramos Garcia of Juayua, El Salvador, died after drowning in a river.

In January, 19-year-old Elder Jake Smith of Lehi passed away after a car crash in Arkansas. Three other missionaries were injured. Another missionary, 20-year-old Elder Samuel Joseph Iseh, Jr. of Port Harcourt, Nigeria, passed away after experiencing a sudden health episode.

----------------

Wondering why the FBI would be involved. Is it because it happened on the Navajo Nation?

24 minutes ago, JAHS said:

... Wondering why the FBI would be involved. Is it because it happened on the Navajo Nation?

That was my first thought: Not sure if it was Navajo Nation or one of the other tribes, but, yes.  Condolences to all most deeply affected by the loss of these two young men.

Edited by Kenngo1969
3 hours ago, JAHS said:

Wondering why the FBI would be involved. Is it because it happened on the Navajo Nation?

https://www.fbi.gov/investigate/violent-crime/indian-country-crime

Head on collisions typically are caused by one driver trying to pass another car on a two lane road OR one of the drivers is impaired either by drugs, alcohol , or fatigue. It seems natural that there would be an investigation by the authorities.

2 hours ago, Thinking said:

https://www.fbi.gov/investigate/violent-crime/indian-country-crime

Head on collisions typically are caused by one driver trying to pass another car on a two lane road OR one of the drivers is impaired either by drugs, alcohol , or fatigue. It seems natural that there would be an investigation by the authorities.

But why the FBI is what others are wondering, I believe.  Why not local police?  Tribal police?

Edited by Calm
4 hours ago, Calm said:

But why the FBI is what others are wondering, I believe.  Why not local police?  Tribal police?

The fbi investigates any death which could possibly be a homicide or suspicious which occurs on a reservation. A fatal traffic accident resulting from either impaired driving or reckless driving is a homicide aka manslaughter. 

I guess I don’t think of car accidents as violent crime as I didn’t see that link being relevant earlier, but that would depend on what caused it. Head on, right?  Could have been impaired driving. 

Also looks like any death might qualified:

• Death investigations
  • Physical abuse of a child
  • Sexual abuse of a child
  • Violent felony assaults
  • Rape

Edited by Calm

A head-on collision in the Four Corners area doesn’t necessarily involve alcohol/intoxication, but it’s generally a safe bet. One of my half-sisters from my father’s first marriage was killed in 1999 by a drunk driver on US 491 (formerly US 666) while en route to Shiprock from Cortez. 

1 hour ago, esodije said:

A head-on collision in the Four Corners area doesn’t necessarily involve alcohol/intoxication, but it’s generally a safe bet. One of my half-sisters from my father’s first marriage was killed in 1999 by a drunk driver on US 491 (formerly US 666) while en route to Shiprock from Cortez. 

Another article said An adult passenger(of the other car) fled the scene, according to witnesses. So that certainly sounds suspicious.

1 minute ago, rpn said:

The FBI is the agency with jurisdiction when non-tribal members are involved on the reservation.

Makes sense, do you have a reference for further reading by chance?

19 hours ago, Calm said:

Makes sense, do you have a reference for further reading by chance?

Do the Tony Hillerman books or the Longmire TV series count as a reference?:)

And I should have clarified crimes (including dui's and auto homicide I presume, not just anything).  Last year there was a jurisdictional adjustment but I don't recall what it was right off the top of my head.

Edited by rpn
52 minutes ago, rpn said:

Do the Tony Hillerman books or the Longmire TV series count as a reference?:)

The Val Kilmer movie popped into my head….I vaguely remember a jurisdictional dispute. (Looked it up:  Thunderheart).

Edited by Calm

Back in the late eighties I worked for a while in the Chinlé School District. I met many wonderful people during that experience. The superintendent there had a lasting influence on me. I stayed over on the weekends and was able to visit many wonderful rural places and people. I have read everything I could find about the LDS experience there going back to the leadership of Wilford Woodruff and before. I remember a very nice LDS extended family who ran trading posts all over the rez and on the Hopi canyons as well. I am blanking on their last name, perhaps McGee? They had a wonderful heritage of history on the rez for several generations.

Edited by Navidad