Seriously No Politics ×

31 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

I posted something really personal about my final round of meditation, and if it did not work, surgery would be next. Shortly thereafter I realized I knew almost no one listed below, such is the speed that new people become members in such a short absence. I then worried something so personal, and asking for prayers from new strangers, might lead to some turning it into humor. Therefore I decided to delete it, before it became cannon fodder. I realized that making my illness known to total strangers could and would be viewed as unfavorable. Turns out even my deletion did what I feared it would. Irony abounds. Not to mention, just a short absence has turned me into a stranger, after 14 years. Go figure? 

1 hour ago, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

I posted something really personal about my final round of meditation, and if it did not work, surgery would be next. Shortly thereafter I realized I knew almost no one listed below, such is the speed that new people become members in such a short absence. I then worried something so personal, and asking for prayers from new strangers, might lead to some turning it into humor. Therefore I decided to delete it, before it became cannon fodder. I realized that making my illness known to total strangers could and would be viewed as unfavorable. Turns out even my deletion did what I feared it would. Irony abounds. Not to mention, just a short absence has turned me into a stranger, after 14 years. Go figure? 

You’re not a stranger and that was poking fun at the deleted text not at you personally.

20 hours ago, The Nehor said:

You’re not a stranger and that was poking fun at the deleted text not at you personally.

Thank you, I feel like the stranger who walks into a new Ward after moving, and knows no one. As I read the list of those signed on at that time, your “screen name” was the only one I knew. I know I have only posted in one thread since March, other than the picture thread in the Social Forum (which I love, and will continue posting), but wow what a turnaround. There was a time when only a few signed up over months, but this seems to be a large new membership. Worry not, I know you “reply or quote” was not personal, but posting about my health was, so maybe I overstepped in that regard. Besides, humor is you best asset here, and we all enjoy it. 

17 hours ago, Calm said:

Hope all goes well for you, Bill. I know the struggles of finding the right treatment. 

Thank you, I hope all goes well. My dear wife calls every hour when she is out of the house. I worry more for her peace of mind, than I do for my health. I am one of those odd individuals, who does not fear for myself, but only for my family. 

31 minutes ago, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

Thank you, I feel like the stranger who walks into a new Ward after moving, and knows no one. As I read the list of those signed on at that time, your “screen name” was the only one I knew. I know I have only posted in one thread since March, other than the picture thread in the Social Forum (which I love, and will continue posting), but wow what a turnaround. There was a time when only a few signed up over months, but this seems to be a large new membership. Worry not, I know you “reply or quote” was not personal, but posting about my health was, so maybe I overstepped in that regard. Besides, humor is you best asset here, and we all enjoy it. 

I am always around and always read your posts. You just can’t see my name listed as there is an option to do that. Plus, sleeping most of the day during summer. :)  I would not be surprised if there were several old timers who choose to be invisible on the list.

I originally did it as I would leave the window open to read while waiting for slow downloads and stuff, but often be off doing other stuff and didn’t want people to think I was purposely ignoring them. Now I use a phone and don’t have windows opened like that, it is just a habit.

2 minutes ago, Calm said:

Must have been a glitch, I can’t see anything like that. 

Thanks for being there, even when anonymous. As for myself, being unheard seems to be the best, as my many illnesses seem to feed my worsening depression. This often leads to negative thoughts and negative comments. Thankfully, I can now post pictures in the Social Forum, thus reminding me of better times, and happier images . I just wish I did not have to wait for the medication to work, I would prefer going straight to the surgery, and get this over with. I already have to have surgery on my neck, due to a prior accident. I don’t know why my Doctors can’t just get together. After all, I have to be put to sleep anyway, why not just do both surgeries? The wait is hard on my family, and myself. Enough about me, time to post some happy pictures, and happy thoughts. So, bye fo now. I hope all who post after this will be OK with a “Rep Point”, instead of a dialogue. 

Again; Papa out. 

2 hours ago, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

The board population hasn’t changed that much. Probably just hit an off time. Most of the regular posters are the same. A few new names and a lot of Ahab sockpuppets.

2 hours ago, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

Thanks for being there, even when anonymous. As for myself, being unheard seems to be the best, as my many illnesses seem to feed my worsening depression. This often leads to negative thoughts and negative comments. Thankfully, I can now post pictures in the Social Forum, thus reminding me of better times, and happier images . I just wish I did not have to wait for the medication to work, I would prefer going straight to the surgery, and get this over with. I already have to have surgery on my neck, due to a prior accident. I don’t know why my Doctors can’t just get together. After all, I have to be put to sleep anyway, why not just do both surgeries? The wait is hard on my family, and myself. Enough about me, time to post some happy pictures, and happy thoughts. So, bye fo now. I hope all who post after this will be OK with a “Rep Point”, instead of a dialogue. 

Again; Papa out. 

It is hard not to let the chronic stuff and knowing it is only going to get worse unless a minor miracle happens not get to me, so I know the feeling. I have those I rant to privately and do it sometimes here in public.  It helps at times. Other times it is much better to distract and just avoid for a bit. 

Rep points are fine, I go that route a lot, especially lately.  Typing just seems too much at times. 

Edited by Calm
13 hours ago, The Nehor said:

The board population hasn’t changed that much. Probably just hit an off time. Most of the regular posters are the same. A few new names and a lot of Ahab sockpuppets.

Does he, or she really have sock puppets? Or are you making a joke. I have never seen the need for having a “Sock Puppet”. I know of some who have done this over the years, and those I exposed, became very,, very angry at me for telling the truth.  I don’t get it, of course I always have just one account, and always have the same name. Only one did I break this rule, on a very hostile website, who is an outright enemy to our Faith. Even then I admitted two days later, as my conscience got the best of me. You are probably right, as there were many members who we anonymous posters that day, and many new ones, I did not recognize, thus the.confusion. Thus making me feel like a “stranger in my own land”, to semi-quote “Scripture”., to explain my confusion. Anyway, back to my dark state of mind. Were I often rail about politics, and other items that clutter my mind, in an effort to distract my mind from my illnesses. 

Edited by Bill “Papa” Lee
59 minutes ago, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

Does he, or she really have sock puppets? Or are you making a joke. I have never seen the need for having a “Sock Puppet”. I know of some who have done this over the years, and those I exposed, because very,, very angry at me for telling the truth.  I don’t get it, of course I always have just one account, and always have the same name. Only one did I break this rule, on a very hostler website, who is an outright enemy to our Faith. Even then I admitted two days later, as my conscience got thr best of me. You are probably right, as their were many members who we anonymous posters that day, and many new ones, I did not recognize, thus the.confusion. 

Ahab got banned for what I can’t remember…and either was too impatient to wait the usual timeout or was told or guessing it was permanent.  He has been trying to post under other names. Apparently thinks he has a right to and it is not lying to agree to the board rules and then ignore them. He rationalized this as he was only using one name at a time apparently, but ignored the rule about trying to avoid bans. For awhile there it was a new sock puppet every day it seemed as each got banned when the mods found out it was Ahab.  Even posters who usually don’t appear to care about such things were getting annoyed and joining the game of who would put him first.  It is at least a bit distracting…which is good at times (if nothing else is working to occupy the mind)and annoying at others.  

He has a pretty distinct style usually and he has either ignored the question “are you, Ahab” completely or tells us it is him.  The latest likely version of Ahab is bOObOO. 

It is always possible there are others who write like he does, but it is an unusual style so low probability imo. 

Eons ago I tried a new avatar to see if I could post without the baggage of my moderation status on ZLMB because it was such a pain to be told a moderator needed to be moderate if I was critical of anything, but it was too much effort to try and disguise my style.  A good reason mods are anonymous here and don’t write up explanations of banning so much one can tell who they post casually as. 

Bill, if you are looking for distraction from pain while bed bound, you might try foreign language films. I find having to read the subtitles and pay attention to the action a much more effective way to not think about my discomfort than just watching English speaking film and TV. Only problem is too easy to lose track of time….but some days that is a plus.  

Netflix has tons, but I like Asian stuff enough I signed up for Viki as well.  Tons of historical drama and fantasy plus romantic comedies if you like those (funnily I am more likely to enjoy those if not English as usually I am instantly bored).

Edited by Calm

Also if you are in bed a lot and you have a bit of money, you might consider a bedjet.  It is a small fan that either blows directly under the sheets or gets hooked up to a top sheet that has little holes all over and it works great at cooling or heating and the slight breeze makes the bed much more comfortable.  My body temp fluctuates a lot for some reason and I just adjust hotter or colder and am back to comfortable.  The fan part sits under the bed or to the side and has a tube that goes up and under the covers. 

I sweat tons less and when I do, it has a ‘dry’ function so I don’t have to get up and change my soaked clothes. Plus I just need a lightweight blanket along with the sheet even on the coldest of days so I don’t ache from the weight of blankets nor does my neuropathy in my feet get set off by blankets touching them. Instead it feels like I have a cloud on top of me (they call them cloud sheets in fact, for once I agree with the advertising).  And if I get chills or leg cramps, it has a turbo heat setting that knocks those out. 

Only problem is cost and the occasional filter cleaning. It isn’t cheap, but if in bed most of the time, a decent investment Imo.  Has a remote for control which is quite convenient. 

Now if I can just find something that feels like a cloud underneath me, but keeps my back and neck straight.  

Edited by Calm
1 hour ago, Calm said:

Ahab got banned for what I can’t remember…and either was too impatient to wait the usual timeout or was told or guessing it was permanent.  He has been trying to post under other names. Apparently thinks he has a right to and it is not lying to agree to the board rules and then ignore them. He rationalized this as he was only using one name at a time apparently, but ignored the rule about trying to avoid bans. For awhile there it was a new sock puppet every day it seemed as each got banned when the mods found out it was Ahab.  Even posters who usually don’t appear to care about such things were getting annoyed and joining the game of who would put him first.  It is at least a bit distracting…which is good at times (if nothing else is working to occupy the mind)and annoying at others.  

I was out of touch when he got banned, and haven't yet figured out why it happened. I had also started to tend to ignore his posts because they were fairly useless.

1 hour ago, Calm said:

He has a pretty distinct style usually and he has either ignored the question “are you, Ahab” completely or tells us it is him.  The latest likely version of Ahab is bOObOO. 

I have at least three sockpuppets. Two of them, @Telescope and @Megalodon, I use to clown around with, and have used them to test board functionality. I don't remember what the other one is called. The board rules don't actually say you may not have a sockpuppet; the rules only forbid a sockpuppet if you're using it to bypass a ban or suspension. 

1 hour ago, Calm said:

It is always possible there are others who write like he does, but it is an unusual style so low probability imo. 

I'm curious if my style would give me away. I guess I could try, but since I've already admitted the above sockpuppets, I'd have to create a new one in order to make the experiment. And I don't feel like it. I have about ten Gmail accounts for various purposes, including for my church calling, so that wouldn't impede me. But I'm too lazy to bother at the moment. Plus I have a kink against being deceptive, and it would make me feel bad.

1 hour ago, Calm said:

Eons ago I tried a new avatar to see if I could post without the baggage of my moderation status on ZLMB because it was such a pain to be told a moderator needed to be moderate if I was critical of anything, but it was too much effort to try and disguise my style.  A good reason mods are anonymous here and don’t write up explanations of banning so much one can tell who they post casually as. 

When I ran a board many years ago I had a moderating and a posting account. I would sometimes forget to sign in as moderating when moderating. One of the users confessed to my posting account that he was afraid of my moderator persona. I got a laugh out of that.

1 hour ago, Calm said:

Also if you are in bed a lot and you have a bit of money, you might consider a bedjet.  It is a small fan that either blows directly under the sheets or gets hooked up to a top sheet that has little holes all over and it works great at cooling or heating and the slight breeze makes the bed much more comfortable

A fan designed to blow the bed sheets around... My cat just added that to his Christmas list 

Cat-bed-sheets-spaz.gif

6 minutes ago, Emily said:

A fan designed to blow the bed sheets around... My cat just added that to his Christmas list 

Cat-bed-sheets-spaz.gif

Looks like the cat barked at it at the end!

The sheet balloons up when there is no blanket on it, even on a low setting. A cat would go crazy with it, but I won’t like the snags. It is a very soft sheet just flat. Wish they’d make a matching bottom sheet, but guessing it wouldn’t be worth it to them as many would buy cheaper versions and sewing the corners would require more machines.