Utah declares M. Russell Ballard Day in honor of Latter-day Saint apostle

In recognition of Latter-day Saint leader M. Russell Ballard’s “lifelong commitment and advocacy for the Days of ’47 organization and new rodeo arena,” Gov. Spencer Cox declared July 23, 2021, to be M. Russell Ballard Day in Utah.

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2021/07/22/utah-declares-m-russell/

[Governor] Cox read the declaration about Ballard, acting president of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which praised the 92-year-old leader for:

• His continuing support of This Is the Place Heritage Park.

• His push to “share the story of the sovereign tribal nations” at the park, especially “the creation of a Native American village there.”

• His highlighting of Utah settlers’ “hard work, responsibility, faith, resilience, vision and perseverance.”

• His help with creating the “Walk of Pioneer Faiths” to note the contributions of members of the “Catholic, Jewish, Congregational, Episcopal, Lutheran, Baptist, Presbyterian, Methodist, and Greek Orthodox faiths,” along with the LDS Church.

• His continual work as “a bridge builder among people of all faiths and walks of life.”

It's always interesting seeing what apostles do in their not-speaking-at-church-stuff time.

While I believe the honor is well bestowed I oppose this because I have a general rule and believe we shouldn’t start naming things after people or creating things with their name to honor them until they are dead.

10 hours ago, The Nehor said:

While I believe the honor is well bestowed I oppose this because I have a general rule and believe we shouldn’t start naming things after people or creating things with their name to honor them until they are dead.

“Gravestones cheer the living, dear, they’re no use to the dead.” — Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, “Buy for Me the Rain”

12 hours ago, JustAnAustralian said:

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2021/07/22/utah-declares-m-russell/

It's always interesting seeing what apostles do in their not-speaking-at-church-stuff time.

President Ballard’s association with This Is the Place Heritage Park and Ensign Peak has been chronicled over the years in the Church News. He is a direct descendant of Hyrum Smith and Mary Fielding Smith through Joseph F. Smith and, as such, has a keen interest in the Church’s pioneer heritage. 

On a personal note, he’s a particular favorite of mine among the Brethren. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
On 7/22/2021 at 10:24 PM, The Nehor said:

I agree.  Wait until the person passes to honor them.  

Apologies for the threadjack, but the video below showed up in my feed right after Scott's Nitty Gritty Dirt Band contribution, and I couldn't resist sharing.  As for waiting until after people die to honor them, a few months ago, I read about an apparent trend that is gaining prevalence, apparently, in parts of Asia to hold "funerals" for living, depressed people.  My first thought was, "How creepy and macabre!" <_< :rolleyes: [Along with a few other adjectives ...]

Then, I thought about it some more.  And my thinking evolved.  After all, isn't that, essentially, the premise (sans funeral) of Frank Capra's and Jimmy Stewart's "It's A Wonderful Life"?  Angel [Formerly Second Class, and Formerly Wingless ;)] Clarence was able to show George Bailey how many people he touched by seeing what their lives would have been like if he hadn't been born.  And isn't that, essentially, what a funeral is, the opportunity for others to share how the person who has passed on has affected their lives?

If we have a chance to share how someone has affected our lives for the better, as appropriate as it might be to do that at a funeral, isn't it all the more appropriate to do so before they pass on?  (One might think that erecting monuments or naming a landmark in someone's honor is a different kettle of fish, but the concept ... honoring them while they're still here ... is worthwhile, isn't it?)

Just something to think about.

Edited by Kenngo1969
  • 1 month later...
On 7/22/2021 at 10:24 PM, The Nehor said:

On 7/27/2021 at 10:18 PM, sunstoned said:

I agree.  Wait until the person passes to honor them.  

While there may be some solid reasoning to support this opinion, I don’t see such reasoning offered in either of these two posts.* It’s not obvious — not to me, anyway. 

If an honor is “well bestowed,” what’s wrong with conferring it while the individual is still alive? 

*(For comparison and contrast, see Kenngo’s well-reasoned and articulated post above.)

Edited by Scott Lloyd
  • 1 month later...
On 9/5/2021 at 7:01 AM, Scott Lloyd said:

While there may be some solid reasoning to support this opinion, I don’t see such reasoning offered in either of these two posts.* It’s not obvious — not to me, anyway. 

If an honor is “well bestowed,” what’s wrong with conferring it while the individual is still alive? 

*(For comparison and contrast, see Kenngo’s well-reasoned and articulated post above.)

I think the issue is that if you do it for a bad person it turns out being a farce later.

Good people are often embarrassed and uncomfortable with it.

Who exactly benefits from the process?

I get Kenngo’s point but I don’t think helping someone depressed realize how much good they have done is anything like naming a building or holiday after someone.