What are your favorite scriptures and why?

1 Ne. 3:7-

And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.

This one is the verse of scripture that got me to serve a mission, one of the best and most impactful experiences of my life.  I was at a crossroads trying to decide what to do and, being 21, one of the obvious options was to serve.  I didn't think it was something I was really capable of though.  I was extremely close to my family and was a person who was easily homesick.   I had never wanted to serve a mission as it seemed way to hard and way to far out of my comfort zone.  As I was contemplating the whole idea  of whether or not I was supposed to serve, I said to myself "I can't do it" and immediately the words to this scripture came into my head.  I was out on a mission 6 months later.

Isaiah 61:3-

To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that he might be glorified.

Life is so hard, and there are so many moments of mourning, so many times when life is in ashes.  I love the hope of this verse.  It has gotten me through more than one dark night.  I especially love the redemptive promise in the verse.  Even if we ourselves are the ones that have burnt our life down, beauty is still possible.  Because of Christ.

Ether 12:27-

And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.

I have so many weaknesses that I hate.  That I wish so much would just cease to exist, but they seem ingrained into me, as much a part of me as my liver or my arm.  It can be a hopeless feeling, to try to change them.  Like Sisyphus pushing the boulder up the hill each day, only to have to do again the following day.  This verse brings me comfort.  It reminds me that weaknesses are not all bad--they serve a purpose--and that with Christ nothing is impossible.

Helaman 5:12-

And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.

Again, hope.  And a reminder of where to seek refuge in the storm and what foundations must be built on if they are to survive.

Matthew 28:20, “…I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world.” Self-explanatory, I hope!

Isaiah Chapter 12, the benefits of repentance in a nutshell, even unto the end of the world. 😊

Ether 12:27-

And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.

It started being a favorite when my youngest was about 7 or 8.  When he was 4 he was only at 3 percentile in expressive speech.  It's a very long story, but in several ways I saw this scripture literally unfolding before my eyes as his weak speech became a strength.

Then 8 years ago I felt that this scripture needed to be my theme for the year.  I don't choose to have themes each year.  Just every once in awhile I get the feeling.  

So that year I worked on being humble.  And I felt humble.  I felt I was doing what was required, but I didn't really feel it deep inside. 

Then my world turned upside down.  I have felt it to my core.  I still feel oh so weak, but here and there I am gaining strength in ways I would not have guessed.

Proverbs 3:5-6

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

n all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

This goes along with the other scripture. For over 30 years if there was anything I could and did know was that God is there and he loves me.

When my world turned upside down I clung to this thought. Trust Him. Thank Him.  Listen to Him.  No matter what that is what I go back to.

Edited by Rain