A science-based reason to avoid caffeine habituation

15 hours ago, Stargazer said:

Perhaps they are, in moderation, to most people. But there's no such thing as a coffee or tea deficiency. Or for that matter, caffeine deficiency.

Although I have found that caffeine helps me control my ADD.

It is a stimulant which actually has a calming and controlling effect on those with ADD within certain dosages.

There are times I wonder if drinking coffee might have measurably improved my ability to function but…oh well.

11 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

A long time ago, I would add about two teaspoons of sugar to a large mug of hot chocolate. Over time, I decided I liked my hot chocolate less sweet, so I cut back to 1 teaspoon and eventually about 1/2 teaspoon. One day, I went to make a hot chocolate, and I realised I was out of sugar. I knew I wouldn't like it, but I decided to make one without. (I just use non-fat milk powder and cocoa powder.)

I've never gone back. I don't know why we decided that cocoa requires sugar. The Aztecs and Mayans didn't sweeten it. There is already plenty of sugar in milk. The end result is basically a savoury hot chocolate. I love it.

So my adding Blue Bell Ice Cream and caramel topping to my cocoa is probably excessive?

6 hours ago, Chum said:

So true. I've been kind of cheering on the blight that's wiping them out.

So why are Cavendish the only variety available in US?  Guessing is they were bred for storage/transportation?  The others are more delicate and require faster or specialized handling?  

I am surprised with the variety of fruit we are getting now that it is limited still so much if the taste is that different. 

6 hours ago, The Nehor said:

So my adding Blue Bell Ice Cream and caramel topping to my cocoa is probably excessive?

How can you say such a thing?

That actually sounds like a lovely combo. I shall have to try it.

Edited by Stargazer
1 hour ago, Stargazer said:

How can you say such a thing?

That actually sounds like a lovely combo. I shall have to try it.

I call it a diabetes shake. It is best hot with the ice cream melted into it. You also have add the caramel last and stir or mix it quick or the caramel collects at the bottom. Drink slowly in sips. It is very very sweet. I find it best with white chocolate powder.

5 hours ago, Calm said:

So why are Cavendish the only variety available in US?  Guessing is they were bred for storage/transportation?

My understanding is the milquetoasty Cavendish generated the highest profit ratio, so that was the ~only choice we were given.

5 hours ago, Calm said:

I am surprised with the variety of fruit we are getting now that it is limited still so much if the taste is that different. 

Not to mention the ever decreasing nutrition.  Apples have been a bright spot tho, thanks to the celebrity generated by Honeycrisp.

9 hours ago, The Nehor said:

It is a stimulant which actually has a calming and controlling effect on those with ADD within certain dosages.

NOS and Adderall was my fav breakfast for a while. It certainly livened up early BNI meetings.

In our home we've decided that caffeine is a mood enhancer. We still let Rx stims do the heavy lifting tho.

58 minutes ago, Chum said:

NOS and Adderall was my fav breakfast for a while. It certainly livened up early BNI meetings.

In our home we've decided that caffeine is a mood enhancer. We still let Rx stims do the heavy lifting tho.

I just can’t talk ideally for about an hour after taking meds or I risk sounding like a coke fiend. My friend told me I sounded like this guy a Salarian scientist trying to talk his way through a problem except less coherent. If you got that reference you are a nerd.

On 7/21/2021 at 8:09 PM, Stargazer said:

I guess it might be horrible if one were obsessive about it. I haven't drank coffee or tea since I was baptized (that would be 55 years ago come July 30). Hasn't caused me any agony in all that time. Nor has not having gotten hooked on tobacco like my father (who died at age 46 largely because of his smoking) been agonizing. One puff on a pipe at age 8 (7 years before I was baptized) was enough to convince me that smokers had a screw loose. And there's been no agony with alcohol, either. The only "agony" in not drinking alcohol has come from bullies trying to shame me into drinking with them. Don't need it, don't want it, and it hasn't hurt me in the slightest not to partake of it. I've been annoyed by plenty of drunks, however. 

I was more than happy to abstain from coffee and tea as part of my covenants. But after I left and then tried them, it was a bit bitter accepting the real suffering I experienced being chronically sleep deprived as a young mother, when they might have helped. Even one additional hour of alertness on those days--about 4000 of them--could have vastly improved my life. Those were hard times.

When our youngest were about five, I was finally getting consistent nights of sleep I needed. Our oldest was sixteen. I noticed a strange change, like I was waking up after a long, long sleep. I had energy again. I could think much more clearly after years of mental fuzz.

13 hours ago, The Nehor said:

I just can’t talk ideally for about an hour after taking meds or I risk sounding like a coke fiend. My friend told me I sounded like this guy a Salarian scientist trying to talk his way through a problem except less coherent. If you got that reference you are a nerd.

A nerd who likes things like this:

...which I do not, or not very much.

On 7/23/2021 at 6:17 AM, Meadowchik said:

When our youngest were about five, I was finally getting consistent nights of sleep I needed. Our oldest was sixteen. I noticed a strange change, like I was waking up after a long, long sleep. I had energy again. I could think much more clearly after years of mental fuzz.

If it’s any consolation, it only slightly takes an edge off. The mental fuzz, particularly on bad sleep days, persists. Mate cocido is between tea and coffee in amount of caffeine. And I’ve definitely had it during my daughter’s first 2 years of life to stay more awake. But that’s about as much as it did for me: I stayed awake. it’s like catching a river with a bathtub in terms of helping with chronic sleep deprivation. Other things do it better….excercise, a nap….okay actually sleep does it best 😅

I don’t run well without sleep. Some people can keep going like that with few noticeable effects minus the bags and lethargy. I don’t, I start deteriorating quickly. So i just found tricks to sleep more. Careful Bed sharing saved me the first year…I wasn’t really tired from sleep deprivation much during then. When it became obvious she needed to get out of our bed that’s when it really started kicking in. But it became clear to my husband and me that I couldn’t handle it long term. So he took over most night duties. From time to time it catches up with him and I try to take over for a night or two. I definitely remember how potent the switch over was for my mental stamina.

And that’s what’s keeping my mind more alert. not my cocido, as much as I love that drink. 

with luv, 

BD 

Edited by BlueDreams