Seriously No Politics ×

A science-based reason to avoid caffeine habituation

Overall, Doctrine and Covenants language is a better fit with 1600s usage, not 1700s usage.

Relevant to this is that "strong drinks" referring to higher alcohol content drinks was a more common phrase in the 1600s than in the 1700s. (Consider also verse 17: "and barley for all useful animals, and for mild drinks, as also other grain.")

Now we come to an interesting possibility. Hot drinks could also mean strong drinks in the 1600s. Perhaps the use in D&C 89 is a second repeat, to emphasize the point. Maybe it doesn't refer to hot temperature, but to the fact that "hot" drinks can "make our wits to dance" (1607).

(The general consensus among LDS scholars, that Joseph Smith worded Doctrine and Covenants revelations, is received wisdom, not based on syntactic comparisons, so it's suspect. I find a variety of usage in the revelations that seems unlikely for him to have worded under revelation, based on comparative studies with his own writings and pseudo-archaic texts and the textual record.)

On 7/17/2021 at 11:03 AM, Teancum said:

It is interesting to me that you jump on any evidential item that confirms your belief yet you ignore so much that destroys it.  Amazing.

Everyone does it; why should Scott be immune?

On 7/18/2021 at 8:28 AM, Tacenda said:

I think I may be addicted to the aspartame in diet drinks as well, I tried going off diet and drinking regular Dr. Pepper and felt like I needed the diet. 

ADDED: Just googled and I guess aspartame is addictive! https://www.healthieruny.com/aspartame-withdrawal#:~:text=Aspartame and other artificial sweeteners,affects dopamine in the brain.

I'm not at all sure that aspartame is as bad as sugar. Even if it is addictive -- and what are the bad effects of it, again? I'm too lazy to look it up at the moment.

I used to drink standard Pepsi-cola (don't like Coca-cola at all), and wouldn't touch diet soft drinks. Then my wife introduced me to a version of Pepsi that was available in the UK, called Pepsi-max. It's a diet soft drink that tastes really good. Way better than Diet Pepsi. It uses Acesulfame potassium in addition to aspartame (I guess the combo masks aftertastes). 

On 7/18/2021 at 2:28 PM, Teancum said:

By the way coffee and tea are actually quite healthy for you.

Perhaps they are, in moderation, to most people. But there's no such thing as a coffee or tea deficiency. Or for that matter, caffeine deficiency.

Although I have found that caffeine helps me control my ADD.

On 7/18/2021 at 6:09 PM, JAHS said:

When I was a kid I thought if you fed cows Hershey bars they would give chocolate milk. 😊

Wait... they don't??

9 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

I'm not at all sure that aspartame is as bad as sugar. Even if it is addictive -- and what are the bad effects of it, again? I'm too lazy to look it up at the moment.

I used to drink standard Pepsi-cola (don't like Coca-cola at all), and wouldn't touch diet soft drinks. Then my wife introduced me to a version of Pepsi that was available in the UK, called Pepsi-max. It's a diet soft drink that tastes really good. Way better than Diet Pepsi. It uses Acesulfame potassium in addition to aspartame (I guess the combo masks aftertastes). 

Good to know!

18 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

An older study (so it may be out of date) had people gaining more weight on aspartame than sugar.  Iirc, the reasoning was it triggers insulin production (the body thinks it is getting sugar) without the accompanying responses to shut off hunger (no actual sugar to trigger satisfaction neurochemicals), so it just makes people more hungry in the long run.

Edited by Calm
43 minutes ago, Calm said:

An older study (so it may be out of date) had people gaining more weight on aspartame than sugar.  Iirc, the reasoning was it triggers insulin production (the body thinks it is getting sugar) without the accompanying responses to shut off hunger (no actual sugar to trigger satisfaction neurochemicals), so it just makes people more hungry in the long run.

I've heard of that, too, and don't discount it. 

1 hour ago, Stargazer said:
2 hours ago, Calm said:

I've heard of that, too, and don't discount it. 

Any sugar substitutes make me sick to my stomach. 

32 minutes ago, JAHS said:

They just don’t taste right to me.  A couple do uncomfortable things to my digestion.  Make me feel like I am going to explode.  Better to get used to less sweet and more savory in my life than that.

2 hours ago, Calm said:

Better to get used to less sweet and more savory in my life than that.

A long time ago, I would add about two teaspoons of sugar to a large mug of hot chocolate. Over time, I decided I liked my hot chocolate less sweet, so I cut back to 1 teaspoon and eventually about 1/2 teaspoon. One day, I went to make a hot chocolate, and I realised I was out of sugar. I knew I wouldn't like it, but I decided to make one without. (I just use non-fat milk powder and cocoa powder.)

I've never gone back. I don't know why we decided that cocoa requires sugar. The Aztecs and Mayans didn't sweeten it. There is already plenty of sugar in milk. The end result is basically a savoury hot chocolate. I love it.

Edited by Hamba Tuhan
1 hour ago, JAHS said:

Isn't it interesting how different we all are? I get a tummy-ache with lime juice (but no other citrus) and avocado. Everyone else gets excited with key-lime pie and guacamole. I have to avoid them. So sad.

12 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

Isn't it interesting how different we all are? I get a tummy-ache with lime juice (but no other citrus) and avocado. Everyone else gets excited with key-lime pie and guacamole. I have to avoid them. So sad.

My daughter has issues with avocado and bananas…who has issues with bananas?  Poor kid.

31 minutes ago, Calm said:

My daughter has issues with avocado and bananas…who has issues with bananas?  Poor kid.

That's worse than lime juice sensitivity! Poor kid is right!

7 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

American bananas are yucky! To be honest, all Cavendish bananas are yucky ...

I didn't realize how true this is until I returned home from my mission in the Philippines.  I almost spit out a banana upon returning, thinking it must have just been a bad banana.  Nope, they all taste like that!  It was shocked and slightly depressed because I remembered them tasting so good.  They were one of my favorite fruits...but now..."yucky" is right.  The grass truly is greener in this case.