Seriously No Politics ×

Hill cumorah pageant commemorative devotional - Watch it while you can

Last Friday night, the church broadcast a devotional in commemoration of the Hill Cumorah Pageant, which was discontinued after the 2019 performance.  I'm posting this here, because apparently the devotional video will expire in two weeks, and some of you may not realize that and will miss out on watching the devotional.  This is what it says on the Church Newsroom site:  Hill Cumorah Pageant Commemorative Devotional and Hill Cumorah Pageant Broadcast:

Watch the devotional and pageant broadcast on broadcasts.ChurchofJesusChrist.org beginning Friday, July 9, at 6:00 p.m. mountain daylight time, in English (English descriptive audio available for the pageant), Spanish, Portuguese and ASL for two weeks.

After the two weeks, the Hill Cumorah Pageant will be available to watch in Gospel Media. However, the Hill Cumorah Devotional will no longer be available for viewing.

Here is a direct link to the devotional broadcast:  Hill Cumorah Pageant Commemorative Devotional: Elder Christofferson.

Most of the devotional is a history of the Pageant, and some of those who presided over or directed the Pageant spoke.   But I especially appreciated Elder Christofferson's comments about his participation in the Pageant, and most importantly, what he said about the reason the church has decided to discontinue it.  This is from approximately the one hour and two minute mark of the video:

I perceive some of you asking, at least in your mind, given all of the positives surrounding the Hill Cumorah pageant, why end it?  The decision to discontinue the pageant was in no way a denial of the things I’ve been reminiscing about or praising.  The decision rests on different considerations.  We’re now at a time in the history of the church when the vast majority of its members will never see the Hill Cumorah or visit the Sacred Grove.   The fame of these places will endure and grow, but relatively few will ever be there. 

The First Presidency determined that, in what is increasingly a truly worldwide church, we could not justify the cost of present and future maintenance, security, and safety upgrades, and ongoing operations running into several million dollars in just the near term, when only a relative handful of members and visitors will ever benefit from the experience. 

Times are changing, and the world is changing, and quite rapidly.  The future is challenging but glorious.  We’re coming upon a new phase in the long prophesied gathering of Israel and other preparations for the Lord's second advent.  The ways we go about the Lord's work, and his hastening of his work in its time, will differ in important ways from what you and I have been accustomed to, during the six decades since I was a pageant participant.

Yes, the Hill Cumorah Pageant was a formative experience for many of us.  But going forward, different and equally compelling formative experiences will come for families and for the current and future rising generations.  Those experiences will be tailored to their time and suited to their need.  At present we cannot fully envision how it will be, but it will have special relevance for the coming day.

Check it out, if you are interested, while you still have a chance.  There are less than two weeks left.

Edited by InCognitus
typos
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2021 at 4:36 AM, InCognitus said:

Here is a direct link to the devotional broadcast:  Hill Cumorah Pageant Commemorative Devotional: Elder Christofferson.

Most of the devotional is a history of the Pageant, and some of those who presided over or directed the Pageant spoke.   But I especially appreciated Elder Christofferson's comments about his participation in the Pageant, and most importantly, what he said about the reason the church has decided to discontinue it.  This is from approximately the one hour and two minute mark of the video:

About 1:02:50 - only a handful of members and visitors would ever benefit from the experience.

Really?

2 hours ago, TheTanakas said:

About 1:02:50 - only a handful of members and visitors would ever benefit from the experience.

Really?

I quoted that section of the talk completely in my post.

He said:  

On 7/12/2021 at 1:36 AM, InCognitus said:

The First Presidency determined that, in what is increasingly a truly worldwide church, we could not justify the cost of present and future maintenance, security, and safety upgrades, and ongoing operations running into several million dollars in just the near term, when only a relative handful of members and visitors will ever benefit from the experience. 

The key word that you missed:  Relative.  In a world wide church, the number of visitors that can ever attend the pageant is a "relative" handful.