What do you like about this forum?

After posting with CA boy and going off an idea he had based on Bernard's thread I'm starting a new one.

This is for answering the questions only.  Not discussion. Like Bernard said, that would be for another thread.

1. What do you like about this board?

2. What do you want from the board?  (Place to learn, place to debate, place to be entertained etc.  NOT how you want others to behave).

Edited by Rain

I came because I had questions I could not ask in Sunday School. I was also very angry. This board helped me learn, ask questions, change perspective on some things, dig in on others. Make virtual friends at a time in person friends are lacking. I am glad it is regulated so certain lines don’t get crossed.

3 hours ago, Rain said:

1. What do you like about this board?

1. That the place is not some wild west town where bullies can control other users with bullying tactics. In short, I love the moderating staff. 
  2. I love the personalities who take the time to post here. Even the ones I strongly disagree with are generally stellar folks.
3 hours ago, Rain said:

2. What do you want from the board?  (Place to learn, place to debate, place to be entertained etc.  NOT how you want others to behave).

1. I want to learn from others
  2. I want to learn by debating others
  3. I want good fellowship.

I like it because it keeps me informed of any changes or trends in the church.  I also like the range of beliefs in the church as demonstrated by participants. 

I get the needs met.  I don’t come too often  because of reasons but I don’t need that to change.  I’m not here often enough to insist on change.

Edited by MustardSeed
6 hours ago, 3DOP said:

1) What do you like about this board?

I have been here since 2004. It would seem fair to assume that I like this board. I am not on any other boards except this one. I am unashamed of it, and used to trumpet here that I had been kicked off of Catholic Answers Forum. I look in every day to see if someone is commenting about my religion. If comments that relate to Catholicism ever went away from this board, I suspect I would also. But I don't think I can really explain my lasting presence here. It is a habit that I enjoy, that seems innocuous at worst.

2) What do you want from the board?

Wasn't it President Kennedy who suggested that we ask not what my board can do for me, but what I can do for my board?    

Do you ever encounter on this board false or misleading characterizations or renditions of your beliefs?  I ask, because I see it quite often about the faith of the Latter-day Saints. I find it quite contemptible. 

36 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Do you ever encounter on this board false or misleading characterizations or renditions of your beliefs?  I ask, because I see it quite often about the faith of the Latter-day Saints. I find it quite contemptible. 

Please discuss this elsewhere.

6 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

5 hours ago, Rain said:

Please discuss this elsewhere.

Without discussion as requested by Rain, and without dismissing the question asked by Scott, I can answer without disrupting the spirit of the thread: Seldom.

3 minutes ago, rodheadlee said:

It used to be a place for learning. Now it's about cheering for your team.

Please do what I ask in the OP or delete this.

What I like:

1. Demonstrations of compassion, heartfelt invitations.

2. Sharing of knowledge, information and insight.

3.  Wit, humor and good natured needling.

What I want:

1.  The chance to better understand and love my brothers and sisters by becoming better in giving and receiving the things listed above.

2.  The number of participants to continue to grow, so we all can benefit from each other.

Edited by let’s roll

Joseph Smith once said, “I never thought it was right to call up a man and try him because he erred in doctrine, it looks too much like Methodism and not like Latter day Saintism. Methodists have creeds which a man must believe or be kicked out of their church. I want the liberty of believing as I please, it feels so good not to be tramelled.” Joseph Smith in The Words of Joseph Smith, pp. 183-184.

I also believe that I do not need to believe every doctrine and creed of Mormonism.  I want the liberty to believe as I please.  What is is shared on this forum is mostly for likeminded folks.  I do not have an orthodox view of Mormonism. I believe to truly learn, one must understand and appreciate points of view different from their own.  I help provide those different points of view on this forum.

Edited by 2BizE
Grammar

I have a love/hate relationship with my experience of being on the board. But grateful that I can get out my feelings, concerns and doubts here vs. with my faithful family, friends, neighbors. I have to see most of them very often, so it's a great safety measure.

I'm thankful to have not been banned from posting for good and only having to wait for a few days before I was able to discuss again on the board. Almost feels like the atonement, to be forgiven and given the chance to return.

I feel like this board trained me to be able to type much better by way of speed and grammar. It makes me look up things and use better grammar. It also makes me search and find more factual things before getting mud on my face when finding out what I didn't know, but I'm still learning and am a very slow learner at that!

Thanks mods and Rain for reminding me of the great board this can be. 

I like the discussions where I find out how true the old saying is that "a little information can be a dangerous thing", both on my part and those not so friendly to the church. 
It also helps me to understand better where some people are coming from with their different life experiences that affects their feeling towards the church. 

1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

I have a love/hate relationship with my experience of being on the board. But grateful that I can get out my feelings, concerns and doubts here vs. with my faithful family, friends, neighbors. I have to see most of them very often, so it's a great safety measure.

I'm thankful to have not been banned from posting for good and only having to wait for a few days before I was able to discuss again on the board. Almost feels like the atonement, to be forgiven and given the chance to return.

I feel like this board trained me to be able to type much better by way of speed and grammar. It makes me look up things and use better grammar. It also makes me search and find more factual things before getting mud on my face when finding out what I didn't know, but I'm still learning and am a very slow learner at that!

Thanks mods and Rain for reminding me of the great board this can be. 

Agree! Consider this your upvote:)