Jump to content

Massive wealth of the church of jesus christ of latter-day saints


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, 2BizE said:

Who do you pay more money to each month? The restaurant down the street or the church?  

You can't be serious. <rolls eyes>

Link to comment
10 hours ago, strappinglad said:

As a Stake building specialist/PFR I will say that the cleaning agents we use are Hydrogen peroxide based . They come in 2 strengths, one for general purpose cleaning and the other ( twice the concentration ) only for toilets. As I have said before, our building is a designated emergency shelter. The gov't inspectors come by twice a year. They have told me personally that our cleaning agents are the top of the line ones and are recommended . 

Thanks for the verification, was thinking I needed to go to the church and see the ingredients. I was also trying to get on the discussion forum with LDS.org. 

Link to comment
19 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I didn't say not ever paying tithing did I?

Nope...you didn't.  Just paying it when it's convenient. 

Link to comment
11 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I reconcile it by saying that from my standpoint we have pretty much reached that day already. 
 

Since Sunday, I have participated in setting up and taking down chairs for the funeral of a dear sister in our ward who perished last week in a horrific murder. A week prior to that, I took part in a massive ward and community grid search after she was reported missing. We hoped to find her alive but were heartsick when the police located her body that night, but the family has repeatedly expressed how much the effort meant to them. 
 

A couple of weeks ago, I was involved with my brethren of the elders quorum in cleaning and fixing up the yard of a sister who was beset with hardship. 
 

A few weeks ago, I spent time at the Church’s Deseret Dairy helping to slice and process cheese for the benefit of the needy. It was for a four-hour shift, but we accomplished the work in about an hour. 
 

In each of the above instances, my labor was given voluntarily, of my own accord. Had I not signed up to participate in these services, there would have been no reprisals, no withholding of privileges. Not a word would have been said to me about it. 
 

Furthermore, had I chosen not to participate, the work would have gotten done nevertheless. There were enough willing hearts and hands. 

So it is consistent with what BrotherSmith foresaw. Beyond the payment of tithes (which is a law and a commandment stemming back to the days of Abraham, who paid tithes of all he possessed to the high priest) everything I do to further the advancement of God’s kingdom is voluntary and of my own accord. 
 

It matters not one whit to me how much the Church has in its coffers. The Church could have a hundred times that much and my attitude would be the same. I contribute because I love God and I want to be an instrument in His hands. 

I'm not here to brag. I just thought I'd share that I donated to the lady you speak of's go fund account. That's what I now do with my tithes. I hope it's okay with the Lord how I do tithing now. I often wonder about the scriptures and don't have a clue, but wonder how many are helping the poor and needy vs. paying tithing. I am all for paying something to help a congregation if you attend, such as a full time minister that isn't employed and takes care of the flock, or building maintenance etc. Nothing against donating to the church you belong to. But wondering what the scriptures really mean as far as tithes go. I guess I need to get reading them to understand them or google some more. 

Link to comment
28 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I'm not here to brag. I just thought I'd share that I donated to the lady you speak of's go fund account. That's what I now do with my tithes. I hope it's okay with the Lord how I do tithing now. I often wonder about the scriptures and don't have a clue, but wonder how many are helping the poor and needy vs. paying tithing. I am all for paying something to help a congregation if you attend, such as a full time minister that isn't employed and takes care of the flock, or building maintenance etc. Nothing against donating to the church you belong to. But wondering what the scriptures really mean as far as tithes go. I guess I need to get reading them to understand them or google some more. 

Thank you, and bless you, for your donation. At the funeral and the visitation the prior evening, I saw firsthand the fruits of that collective outpouring of sympathy and charity. With that resource they were able to bring loved ones from Japan for the funeral on short notice. 
 

I don’t intend to pass judgment on whether and how you pay tithing or what you consider tithing to be. That is between you and the Lord. 
 

I will just mention for my own part that I too contributed to the defraying of the family’s expenses, not through the GoFundMe, but through a Venmo account set up by a member of our ward. 
 

I place such a thing in a separate category from tithing, which I pay mainly in obedience to a law and commandment from God. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
Link to comment
12 hours ago, Stargazer said:

You can't be serious. <rolls eyes>

Very serious.  Isn’t there an expectation that there will be a return on investment for your tithing donation?  I think there is.  I think that if I am paying 10% of my income, the church can mange these menial tasks, so I can apply my efforts to important aspects of building Zion….not cleaning Zion.

Link to comment
10 minutes ago, 2BizE said:

Very serious.  Isn’t there an expectation that there will be a return on investment for your tithing donation?  I think there is.  I think that if I am paying 10% of my income, the church can mange these menial tasks, so I can apply my efforts to important aspects of building Zion….not cleaning Zion.

And just exactly how are you building up Zion?

Link to comment
22 minutes ago, 2BizE said:

I think that if I am paying 10% of my income, the church can mange these menial tasks, so I can apply my efforts to important aspects of building Zion….not cleaning Zion.

And one might also think that if Jesus Christ was willing to pay the ultimate price then maybe someone else could manage the menial task of washing the disciples' feet.

Only, I'm pretty sure that's not how the story goes.

And while not expressly stated, I think we can safely assume that he accomplished the task without the benefit of anti-bacterial cleaning supplies or nitrile gloves. Shocking, I know.

 

Link to comment
14 hours ago, Stargazer said:

You can't be serious. <rolls eyes>

 

1 hour ago, 2BizE said:

Very serious.  Isn’t there an expectation that there will be a return on investment for your tithing donation?  I think there is.  I think that if I am paying 10% of my income, the church can mange these menial tasks, so I can apply my efforts to important aspects of building Zion….not cleaning Zion.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/roperfamilypoems.wordpress.com/2016/06/20/father-where-shall-i-work-today/amp/

Father, where shall I work today?
And my love flowed warm and free.
Then He pointed out a tiny spot
And said, “Tend that for me.”
I answered quickly, “Oh no; not that!
Why, no one would ever see,
No matter how well my work was done;
Not that little place for me.” 

And the word He spoke, it was not stern;
He answered me tenderly:
“Ah, little one, search that heart of thine.
Art thou working for them or for me?
Nazareth was a little place,
And so was Galilee.”

—  Meade McGuire

 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
Link to comment
19 hours ago, 2BizE said:

Very serious.

And don't call you "Shirley," right? ;):D 

19 hours ago, 2BizE said:

 Isn’t there an expectation that there will be a return on investment for your tithing donation?  I think there is.  I think that if I am paying 10% of my income, the church can mange these menial tasks, so I can apply my efforts to important aspects of building Zion….not cleaning Zion.

Yes, yes!  We're all aware that you have more important things to do! <_< :rolleyes: 

Bully for you! ;) 

Edited by Kenngo1969
Link to comment
19 hours ago, rodheadlee said:

And just exactly how are you building up Zion?

Yes, pray, do tell!  Inquiring minds want to know! ;) :D 

Link to comment
Posted (edited)
On 7/13/2021 at 1:34 PM, Scott Lloyd said:

I reconcile it by saying that from my standpoint we have pretty much reached that day already. 
 

Since Sunday, I have participated in setting up and taking down chairs for the funeral of a dear sister in our ward who perished last week in a horrific murder. A week prior to that, I took part in a massive ward and community grid search after she was reported missing. We hoped to find her alive but were heartsick when the police located her body that night. The family has repeatedly expressed how much the effort meant to them. 
 

A couple of weeks ago, I was involved with my brethren of the elders quorum in cleaning and fixing up the yard of a sister who was beset with hardship. 
 

A few weeks ago, I spent time at the Church’s Deseret Dairy helping to slice and pack cheese for the benefit of the needy. It was for a four-hour shift, but we accomplished the work in about an hour. 
 

In each of the above instances, my labor was given voluntarily, of my own accord. Had I not signed up to participate in these services, there would have been no reprisals, no withholding of privileges. Not a word would have been said to me about it. 
 

Furthermore, had I chosen not to participate, the work would have gotten done nevertheless. There were enough willing hearts and hands. 

So it is consistent with what Brother Smith foresaw. Beyond the payment of tithes (which is a perpetual law and commandment stemming back to the days of Abraham, who paid tithes of all he possessed to the high priest Melchizedek) everything I do to further the advancement of God’s kingdom is voluntary and of my own accord. 
 

It matters not one whit to me how much the Church has in its coffers. The Church could have a hundred times that much and my attitude would be the same. I contribute because I love God and I want to be an instrument in His hands to bless His children. 

I decided to remove my snarky rude post. I apologize to Scott. I was out of line.

Edited by Teancum
Link to comment
On 7/16/2021 at 6:44 AM, Teancum said:

Good for you. Maybe you would be even happier of you also gave the rest of your personal assets to add to the substantial amounts the LDS Church has in its coffers.  More blessings to God's children right?

I would willingly give up all I possess, including my life, if necessary, to the advancement of God’s kingdom and the establishment of Zion. So far, I haven’t been called upon to go that far. I think this is in part attributable to the position of financial strength due to prudent money management (and collective sacrifice by the membership) that the Church of Jesus Christ* enjoys just now — which prosperity, ironically, is a thing that makes the Church’s antagonistic critics so angry. 
 

*I use the name Church of Jesus Christ, a shortened form of the Church’s proper name, advisedly. You don’t have to correct me and tell me I mean “LDS Church,” which is a nickname I elect not to use. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
Link to comment
On 7/13/2021 at 12:00 AM, Stargazer said:

You can't be serious. <rolls eyes>

He is serious.  And don't call him Shirley.

;):D 

Link to comment
2 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

*I use the name Church of Jesus Christ, a shortened form of the Church’s proper name, advisedly. You don’t have to correct me and tell me I mean “LDS Church,” which is a nickname I elect not to use. 

Ok. I think using Mormon Church is still quite fine.

Link to comment
9 hours ago, Teancum said:

Ok. I think using Mormon Church is still quite fine.

I don't have to agree with any organization in every particular to accord it the respect of referring to it in the manner in which those in charge of it have asked me to do.  I think that's simply common courtesy, and I wouldn't think it beyond you, but perhaps I am mistaken.

Link to comment
42 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

I don't have to agree with any organization in every particular to accord it the respect of referring to it in the manner in which those in charge of it have asked me to do.

Or at least to refrain from poking those who DO refer to it by its proper name. 

Link to comment
On 7/13/2021 at 2:49 PM, 2BizE said:

Very serious.  Isn’t there an expectation that there will be a return on investment for your tithing donation?  I think there is.  I think that if I am paying 10% of my income, the church can mange these menial tasks, so I can apply my efforts to important aspects of building Zion….not cleaning Zion.

No. It’s not mine to begin with.

Edited by Bernard Gui
Link to comment
On 7/16/2021 at 7:32 AM, Teancum said:

We are foolish to some extent. I see a lot of foolishness on this board.  

What a pristine word to choose! You appear to be fulfilling 1 Corinthians 1 to the maximal extent. 

Link to comment
18 hours ago, OGHoosier said:

What a pristine word to choose! You appear to be fulfilling 1 Corinthians 1 to the maximal extent. 

Do you feel like you just scored some points?

Link to comment
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...