Seriously No Politics ×

Demographics is destiny as are ward/Stake boundaries?

In my stake of maybe 9 units, two wards in the south combine thier auxiliaires and two wards in the west combine thier auxilliaries (YM, YW, Primary, Sunday School, etc.)

With demographics in the US being what they are, do you think more wards will do this in the near future?

or will boundaries be updated to accommodate the demographic decline?

Edited by nuclearfuels

In the situations where units combine so that they have enough youth/children to run an interesting program I could see the ward callings change to be a kind of pseudo stake calling. When multiple units are involved it really becomes a stake function, even if it doesn't include the entire stake. I think the church likes the smaller units so I don't see them consolidating back into mega-wards where its impossible to know and serve everyone.

In addition to utilizing "stake" callings in a way that addresses the needs of multiple units I fully expect at some point in the not-too-distant future that the church returns to having an actual YM presidency instead of those duties being tacked on to other bishopric duties. I haven't heard much positive coming out of the combining of the bishopric/YM presidency. It seems that more often than not the bishopric isn't fully engaged with youth activities (which would be very hard to do considering everything else they have to do) so YM functions fall either semi-officially or by default to advisors who likely haven't been called to do what is actually needed. But then again, that may just be in my area.