Seriously No Politics ×

Caffeine

Supposedly when they were crusading for what became the kingdom of Sicily they found a bunch of coffee beans and I guess figured out how to make coffee from it.  I have no idea how true it is, heard it from an old Italiano friend.  All I know is the first  coffee shop was in Venice so go figure.  

Reposing this because it's funny.  I love my liquid crack lol.

41 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

I am going to stick with being convinced that sobriety is horrible.

Can always play my favorite party game, watch everyone else get drunk and do dumb things.   I do some of my best Intel gathering that way, I'll get a sprite and put a lime wedge in it so people think it's a gin and tonic.  I'll ask questions after a few rounds are in whomever I want to get info out of.  After, I just watch the booze kick in and enjoy the show.  Great way to dodge a DUI too.

1 hour ago, poptart said:

Can always play my favorite party game, watch everyone else get drunk and do dumb things.   I do some of my best Intel gathering that way, I'll get a sprite and put a lime wedge in it so people think it's a gin and tonic.  I'll ask questions after a few rounds are in whomever I want to get info out of.  After, I just watch the booze kick in and enjoy the show.  Great way to dodge a DUI too.

As someone who needs amphetamines aka Adderall to pretend to normality and ward off crippling depression I might be biased but I prefer stimulants to depressants. The irony is that if I had been drinking coffee or strong tea I probably would have been better able to cope for years. On the other hand if I had maybe I would never have gotten diagnosed and ended up a doddering old maniac before anyone noticed and they would have chalked it up to dementia or something.

1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

As someone who needs amphetamines aka Adderall to pretend to normality and ward off crippling depression I might be biased but I prefer stimulants to depressants. The irony is that if I had been drinking coffee or strong tea I probably would have been better able to cope for years. On the other hand if I had maybe I would never have gotten diagnosed and ended up a doddering old maniac before anyone noticed and they would have chalked it up to dementia or something.

Alcohol is a fascinating drug when you sit down and read up on it.  That being said older i get more I've come to despise it, at least as it is marketed and consumed nowadays.  I like a bit of wine with a good dinner but that's about it.  I had to grow up around alcoholism and now am seeing a few friends succumb to the bottle, I hate it.  One friend especially scares me, he's getting dts and withdrawal when he lays off.  I've warned him for years to consider laying off.  His job won't allow for other "less harmful" Substances and well, hes had family drama to deal with.  I get it life can be rough at times but geez it still sucks watching someone go down that path.

32 minutes ago, poptart said:

Alcohol is a fascinating drug when you sit down and read up on it.  That being said older i get more I've come to despise it, at least as it is marketed and consumed nowadays.  I like a bit of wine with a good dinner but that's about it.  I had to grow up around alcoholism and now am seeing a few friends succumb to the bottle, I hate it.  One friend especially scares me, he's getting dts and withdrawal when he lays off.  I've warned him for years to consider laying off.  His job won't allow for other "less harmful" Substances and well, hes had family drama to deal with.  I get it life can be rough at times but geez it still sucks watching someone go down that path.

I used to wonder how people coped with working outside from sunup to sundown without going insane. Realizing that almost all of them drank low grade alcohol throughout the day and were pleasantly buzzed for most of it and it makes sense. Maybe we should go back to Prohibition era restrictions except maybe raise them a little so you can get the mild effect of alcohol but you would be more likely to end up getting sick from too much liquid in your stomach before you can get plastered drunk. Then I remember almost everyone has to drive everywhere.

I remember the old short story “What to do until the Analyst Comes” written in the 50s. It is about an ad agency that realizes the ill effects of smoking are dooming that business so they hire a chemist to create a gum with no side-effects and no addictive elements that induces euphoria. The narrator accidentally ODs on the stuff at the beginning and becomes allergic to it and watches the world fall apart and everyone but him is too happy to care.