Bsa suffering huge membership declines

We are far enough removed from the Church’s historic withdrawal as a chartering organization from Scouting in the USA that I got curious about how it is doing. Not too well, according to this piece:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/US/wireStory/boy-scouts-girl-scouts-suffer-huge-declines-membership-78578702

The article doesn’t mention the severing of ties by the Church, but I’m thinking that could not have been good for the movement. 

2 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

We are far enough removed from the Church’s historic withdrawal as a chartering organization from Scouting in the USA that I got curious about how it is doing. Not too well, according to this piece:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/US/wireStory/boy-scouts-girl-scouts-suffer-huge-declines-membership-78578702

The article doesn’t mention the severing of ties by the Church, but I’m thinking that could not have been good for the movement. 

Lawsuits and political correctness killed the Boy Scouts. I get extremely upset everytime I think about it tell ya truth. 

Posted (edited)

Hopefully BSA gets revamped to not try and be a money maker. I worked in scouts a few times, and it seemed a bit suspect the money they needed. Or the badges etc. Or friends of scouting. I hope the church can figure out a way to keep scouting around for both girls and boys. Have a bit of training to go along with girls and boys camps. Which if I'm remembering right, they do anyway. But it could be more intense, and more on the side of survival skills.

Edited by Tacenda
Posted (edited)

I predict the boy and girl scout organizations will merge in the next few years.  They'll keep the name 'scout', and some sort of advancement process, although they may dump the name 'merit', along with the concept.  More like as a way to have different activities for different age groups.   It'll become another plain vanilla youth group like any of the hundreds and hundreds out there.  It will still be a national organization, but will continue to shrink, and eventually be little more than a glorified evening and Saturday daycare.  A major focus will be on how to become a good citizen by eliminating institutionalized racism and alphabetphobia.

I'm sorry, people who used to like scouting.  I'm sorry.

Edited by LoudmouthMormon

Based on East Coast experiences, I was glad to see the Church get out of Scouting for Scouting's sake. In the 2000's we had to have parents and leaders return to a scout camp to repair the damage done by youth in our stake (not youth in our ward thankfully). A few years later I was unintentionally CC'd on an email between regional bishops and stake leaders, that Camp Daniel Boone was considering banning LDS troops, due to damage they kept inflicting on the camp.

Obviously those youth don't represent every ward but we were definitely in some kind of phase back then. Our stake had one really tough (and upscale) ward where the YM were routinely cruel and harmful. A couple of other wards were less so. The remaining two were the examples we'd expect. They got better eventually but it was like that for years and years.

19 minutes ago, Chum said:

Based on East Coast experiences, I was glad to see the Church get out of Scouting for Scouting's sake

The church leaving the BSA was probably the final deathblow to scouts. I don't see it lasting much longer. Also, the interest in scouting just wasn't there anymore, I spent a large portion of my time telling boys to turn off their stupid phone. I could be wrong, but it also seemed like in the last 10 or so years, the attention span of the boys I taught wasn't long enough to listen for more than 5 minutes. Maybe that's me just becoming an old fogey, who knows.

2 hours ago, LoudmouthMormon said:

I predict the boy and girl scout organizations will merge in the next few years.  They'll keep the name 'scout', and some sort of advancement process, although they may dump the name 'merit', along with the concept.  More like as a way to have different activities for different age groups.   It'll become another plain vanilla youth group like any of the hundreds and hundreds out there.  It will still be a national organization, but will continue to shrink, and eventually be little more than a glorified evening and Saturday daycare.  A major focus will be on how to become a good citizen by eliminating institutionalized racism and alphabetphobia.

I'm sorry, people who used to like scouting.  I'm sorry.

I think it is more likely that the Boy Scout program will die and Girl Scouts will become scouting. While some would miss the former the destruction of the latter will be prevented by cookie junkies who desperately need their fix.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Hopefully BSA gets revamped to not try and be a money maker. I worked in scouts a few times, and it seemed a bit suspect the money they needed. Or the badges etc. Or friends of scouting. I hope the church can figure out a way to keep scouting around for both girls and boys. Have a bit of training to go along with girls and boys camps. Which if I'm remembering right, they do anyway. But it could be more intense, and more on the side of survival skills.

I think the train has already left the station on that. The Church severed ties two or three years ago now, and there’s no way it will “keep Scouting around.” The Church has crafted its own replacement programs in line with 21st century goals and needs. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
10 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

I think it is more likely that the Boy Scout program will die and Girl Scouts will become scouting. While some would miss the former the destruction of the latter will be prevented by cookie junkies who desperately need their fix.

I didn’t mention it, but the link indicates Girl Scouting is having its own problems. 

7 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I didn’t mention it, but the link indicates Girl Scouting is having its own problems. 

They are but I have my doubts they are going to die completely. I could be wrong though.

1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

The problem with Church troops is it shoved everyone in whether they wanted to be a part of Scouting or not. It is unsurprising that you have more problem cases in troops where their parents view participation as compulsory.

Exactly.  And the leaders were often called as leaders whether they wanted to be or not as well (as in, they said yes to the calling but did not care about or even like scouts).  It's amazing it ran as well as it did for so long.  

1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

Those cookies are disgusting. Back when there were only a few varieties of packaged cookies they offered fancy unavailable choices.... and they had better producers. 

47 minutes ago, juliann said:

Those cookies are disgusting. Back when there were only a few varieties of packaged cookies they offered fancy unavailable choices.... and they had better producers. 

I am not arguing with you. I am not a fan. I just know a lot of people who really like those cookies. I admit that I do not get the appeal.

2 hours ago, The Nehor said:

The problem with Church troops is it shoved everyone in whether they wanted to be a part of Scouting or not. It is unsurprising that you have more problem cases in troops where their parents view participation as compulsory.

You probably have a point -- but in the ward I was in the longest in my life (about 30 years), we had a long string of very dedicated adults who took scouting seriously. The program was very successful, and over a very long time. On the ward's Eagle plaque there were names going back to 1928 -- that ward was the earliest branch of the church in that area of Washington state. Even if some parents were not active in the troop, there were plenty of other adults who took it seriously.

When I was in scouting before I joined the church, I really enjoyed it, and I got a huge amount of good out of it. Not sure how I ended up in scouting -- I think I was self-recruited. 

When I joined the church in southern California I switched troops. My ward's troop was useless; I don't remember a single activity they had. I was in that troop for only about 8 months before we moved to Canada. I was a Second Class scout at the time I joined, and in that 8 months I should have advanced to First Class, but nothing happened. I wasn't very proactive, I admit, but nobody else seemed to care, either.

But my old Boy Scout manual is still one of my most precious possessions. It's somewhere.

1 hour ago, bluebell said:

Exactly.  And the leaders were often called as leaders whether they wanted to be or not as well (as in, they said yes to the calling but did not care about or even like scouts).  It's amazing it ran as well as it did for so long.  

And then there are the people who take the saying "What e'er thou art, do well thy part" seriously.

59 minutes ago, LoudmouthMormon said:

Look people, the Girl Scouts may be on their way out too, but I will not stand here and take blasphemers taunts leveled against thin mints!

My sentiments, exactly:) Frozen thin mints are the best! 

2 hours ago, LoudmouthMormon said:

Look people, the Girl Scouts may be on their way out too, but I will not stand here and take blasphemers taunts leveled against thin mints!

Meh, Keebler Grasshopper cookies are just as good, and a lot cheaper.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

The Church has crafted its own replacement programs in line with 21st century goals and needs. 

Primary, YM, and YW achievement awards, activities, and camps (in the case of YM/WY) already existed, church sponsored scouting to me was just yet more of the "In the United States and Canada" fluff in handbooks and manuals. It's good that they've modernised things to make them more tailored to the individual, but they should have done this and moved away from church sponsored scouting years ago rather than continue to use it as a surrogate.

As to Scouting BSA and GSA losing membership? Maybe this will result in rehaped more-efficient programs that mean the people that participate are there for the right reasons. Scouting in the rest of the world copes fine without church sponsored troops, no reason why scouting in the USA can't.

Edited by JustAnAustralian
5 hours ago, Chum said:

Based on East Coast experiences, I was glad to see the Church get out of Scouting for Scouting's sake. In the 2000's we had to have parents and leaders return to a scout camp to repair the damage done by youth in our stake (not youth in our ward thankfully). A few years later I was unintentionally CC'd on an email between regional bishops and stake leaders, that Camp Daniel Boone was considering banning LDS troops, due to damage they kept inflicting on the camp.

Obviously those youth don't represent every ward but we were definitely in some kind of phase back then. Our stake had one really tough (and upscale) ward where the YM were routinely cruel and harmful. A couple of other wards were less so. The remaining two were the examples we'd expect. They got better eventually but it was like that for years and years.

We had the same thing happen here. The scouts caused several thousand in damage and after that lds troops were banned permanently. The facility is an lds girls camp lol. 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, The Nehor said:

A foundational American institution that showed up over 100 years after the US was founded and started in Britain?

Nice try, but no cigar. Get acquainted with the history of Scouting in America. 

Edited by Bernard Gui