Happy canada 🇨🇦 day!

Feeling a bit homesick…especially since I just got off the phone with my medical insurance as this is the beginning of the year for that…though up in Canada they wouldn’t even consider giving me the drug that worked with least side effects so mixed feelings too. 

Once more, wishing for technology that would allow my front door to open up in my current lovely neighborhood with its great view of the mountains less than a mile away (foothills anyway) and my backyard door opening up to somewhere in Banff.  And the absolutely perfect setup would be my window in my bedroom that looking out to the beach…(have no problem needing to climb out the window to get to it, definitely worth the extra effort ;) ).

Yeah, it's hot.

Kind of a downer day for us yesterday, tbh. One of your high councilman resigned his calling last week, and gave a talk on why. He and his wife are from the Tsuu T'ina Nation, southwest of Calgary, and the ward covers the reserve. The recent news regarding the unmarked gravesites has caused him, his wife, and their parents, all residential school survivors, to relive some of the trauma. On the one hand, I am proud of all that Canada aspires to be, and all the good that exists. On the other, I am not proud of some of our past, and hope we can use this as an opportunity of national repentance and reconciliation.

8 minutes ago, halconero said:

Yeah, it's hot.

Kind of a downer day for us yesterday, tbh. One of your high councilman resigned his calling last week, and gave a talk on why. He and his wife are from the Tsuu T'ina Nation, southwest of Calgary, and the ward covers the reserve. The recent news regarding the unmarked gravesites has caused him, his wife, and their parents, all residential school survivors, to relive some of the trauma. On the one hand, I am proud of all that Canada aspires to be, and all the good that exists. On the other, I am not proud of some of our past, and hope we can use this as an opportunity of national repentance and reconciliation.

What did the LDS have to do with the bold? If you don't mind me asking.  I know that the church had the program for the native American children to live with LDS families. But didn't know there was more to it, if so. I know there was a school for the native children, don't know if the church had anything to do with it, hope not, and when I would drive by it in Brigham City, Utah as a child it made me sad to think they were separated from their families. The Canada story is so so sad. :( I posted this meme yesterday on FB, I don't often post, but believe the Native Americans had it right, they should be our example.May be an image of text that says 'The single biggest thing I learned was from an indigenous elder of Cherokee descent, Stan Rushworth, who reminded me of the difference between a Western settler mindset of"I have rights" and an indigenous mindset of"I have obliga- tions." Instead of thinking that I am born with rights, I choose to think that I am born with obligations to serve past, present, and future generations, and the planet herself.'

23 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

What did the LDS have to do with the bold?

Nothing in this particular case. They weren't resigning from the church. They just needed time away from his calling to deal with trauma of it all. To the credit of the Mission President and his wife here, they have been excellent working with the Indigenous members. He and his wife are Maori, went through much of the same experiences, and have made a point of holding monthly meetings for the Cree and Blackfoot members to get together privately over Zoom and in-person to go over their experiences together.

23 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

If you don't mind me asking.  I know that the church had the program for the native American children to live with LDS families. But didn't know there was more to it, if so. I know there was a school for the native children, don't know if the church had anything to do with it, hope not, and when I would drive by it in Brigham City, Utah as a child it made me sad to think they were separated from their families. The Canada story is so so sad. :( I posted this meme yesterday on FB, I don't often post, but believe the Native Americans had it right, they should be our example.

The Indian Placement Program did have a role in Canada, but not as large as the residential schools. I personally know at least one person whose mother was in the program and was sexually abused.